Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
francophone

Re: Another version of demons and angels

Post by francophone »

New angels:
orga.png
orga.png (303.26 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
They look very similar, I know, but...
Missing the line of scouts and that of fighter with a heavy shield (from the infanteer).
I think about a "vouge" or "bardiche" for the tank unit. Sorry the words are french. I don't know the english name. You can see what about I speek here: http://www.armedia.fr/boutique/index.ph ... df127ee4a4. So, I think a lvl2 with a short handle, and lvl3 with a normal weapon.

Incidentally, if anyone can tell me the English name for vouge and bardiche, I'm interested.
I am also looking for the English name of "glaive". In French it is a short sword, typically that of the Romans (http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... P8T86NAmTA). I know that in English "glaive" means a heavy hast weapon (http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... -SuW5-kEs3). It is also a medieval weapon, but very different.

The scout handling wind and has no weapon.
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

I'm not a great expert on weaponry, so there may be a technical term that I don't know - but personally I would call the bardiche a halberd.
The Roman short-sword is a gladius. I can't help with the vouge, as I have never heard of it before and from the image you linked to, I can't actually work out what it is. If the part in the picture is attached to a long pole, it's probably another halberd (the word 'halberd' could include many different weapons - as far as I know, English does not have many specific terms for different types of pole-weapons. In fact, we tend to use French names if we don't have one of our own)
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Bardiche is... Bardiche.
And vouge is apparently a misspelling - it seems proper word is voulge, but I guess it could be called glaive since more players will be possibly familiar with the term, and differences aren't as striking as "halberd versus berdiche".
And more generic term to refer to this kind of weapons would be "polearm" (or ""pole axe" for the ones with axe blade), halberd is very specific weapon that is most similar in use to spear or pike.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
francophone

Post by francophone »

It seems that there are several forms of voulge. Some with the blade in the alignment of the handle as a glaive and other with the blade on the side as a bardiche. It is better that I speak of bardiche since it is a blade on the side I want. (In either case, I would tall glaive.)
A halberd is a specific weapon (and not a tool used as a weapon), always very long, which cut as sting. This is the weapon of loyalist halbardier and drake arbiter.
Polearm is the generic name of all these weapons to longer or shorter handle, including spears, "armes d'hast" in French. This is the name I gave at the weapon of my celest "polearmer"!!! who uses perforating.

I found this: http://gallery.burrowowl.net/index.php? ... /28561.jpg
francophone

Post by francophone »

I come back to the graphic aspect.
I thought about togas for the highest levels of angels. But that is wrong with the warlike of these angels. Those who go on the battlefields are in armor. And if I put them in a toga (or tunic or otherwise) over the armor, it would reduce their golden appearance and especially their aspect of powerful warriors.
However, I can increase amount of tissue without much cover the armor pieces. So I lengthened the skirt (and the armor on the hips) for levels 2. (And adjust to lengthen of the legs of the upper level)
I thought to put a cap at levels 3 but I do not know if it will work. :doh:
On the other hand, maybe a diadem that is used at a partial helmet. :hmm:

But about the dress of levels 3, I ask myself a question. I do not know what is best: with or without the gold band (between the two magenta edgings)?
Which do you prefer?
Attachments
without.png
without.png (2.08 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
with.png
with.png (2.1 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

francophone wrote:But about the dress of levels 3, I ask myself a question. I do not know what is best: with or without the gold band (between the two magenta edgings)?
Which do you prefer?
The difference is very subtle.

But I have other comments:
1. What are the white hammer-shaped things, some form of wing?
2. Maybe you could change the colors of the skin and armor, so they are not so similar.
3. The shadow of the angel's left wing (our right) doesn't look correct, you can probably just erase it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
francophone

Post by francophone »

doofus-01 wrote:The difference is very subtle.
Yes, but we must choose.
doofus-01 wrote:1. What are the white hammer-shaped things, some form of wing?
Yes.
doofus-01 wrote:2. Maybe you could change the colors of the skin and armor, so they are not so similar.
No. I want their golden skin. I had also planned to make a version with very pale skin and black hair and feathers (see the sprites on previous messages) But I do not know if I do or not.
So yes skin color and armor is very similar. But I want them like that.
doofus-01 wrote:3. The shadow of the angel's left wing (our right) doesn't look correct, you can probably just erase it.
You speak of the shadow under the wing and not on it ?
I wonder if I have not misunderstood an earlier remark on the shade of the same wing.
I will fix it.
francophone

Post by francophone »

The shade is it better ?
Attachments
orga.png
orga.png (302.89 KiB) Viewed 4688 times
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

i guess the earlier remark was mine?
the more detailed version would sound like this:

the red lines are same length while they should not be (because left wing should be foreshortened).

the green lines are not the same length while they should be (because viewer expects the wings to be same height from ground).

also, the viewer will most probably expect the wings to be symmetrical, unless there is a strong reason to expect otherwise.
Attachments
file.png
file.png (14.16 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
francophone

Post by francophone »

The wings are on a vertical plane so they must have the same horyzontale length. And shadows should be at the same height of the wings. They are far away. :(
thunder1.png
thunder1.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
I watched the projected shadow of different units. Often the shadow is pretty simple. The wings of drakes do not project shade.
The shadow of my angels are too wide, especially that of levels 1. I'm going to redo all.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

i see, so the shadow should just be along the lower red line on the ground.

the shadow of body might also need to align with the red line, then?
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
francophone

Post by francophone »

homunculus wrote:i see, so the shadow should just be along the lower red line on the ground.
Yes !
homunculus wrote:the shadow of body might also need to align with the red line, then?
Yes again !
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The light for sprites is not a harsh spotlight being shoved on top of the sprite's head, the wing shadows do not need the faithful detail you are trying t give it - it makes it look odd. Mainline shadows are kind of sloppy, but they look OK because they stick to the important mass.
francophone wrote:doofus-01 wrote:
1. What are the white hammer-shaped things, some form of wing?

Yes.
They look very odd, I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe scrap the strange hammer things (they don't look like wings to me) and make the upper wings bigger with each level.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
francophone

Post by francophone »

New version of auxiliary wings:
angels wings 2.png
angels wings 2.png (913 Bytes) Viewed 4564 times
Scout lvl 1 (messenger) and lvl 2 (herald). I don't think it can evolve on lvl 3
messenger.png
messenger.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
herald.png
herald.png (1.79 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
With new shadow and old wings
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The new auxiliary wings look better. Maybe try to get rid of the diagonal shaft of the closer one, make it less clean and straight. It looks like a rod or handle right now.