Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Art for Tales of the Setting Sun

Post by doofus-01 »

francophone wrote: I would reinforce the shadows in the middle of the image.
Like his right arm? That is too bright, I messed up there. If you meant something else, I don't really follow.
francophone wrote:I would put black where it is darker around the eyes (why red?).
It is a recurring theme, it should make sense in context of the campaign(s).

--------------
I didn't get this finished, but I didn't have a reference and had enough errors that I might as well post it. I think I got the really bad flaws ironed out, but perspective is a tricky thing.
Attachments
aria-primeval2.png
aria-primeval2.png (76.28 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It progresses, maybe enough to move on from. The seashell women were supposed to be "pretty", this one is supposed to look "hard" (but not troll-ugly).
Attachments
aria-primeval2.png
aria-primeval2.png (81.43 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
francophone

Post by francophone »

For a finished drawing (is it ?), the skin lacks contrast, especially shadows.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

@francophone: shouldn't the contrast be in midtones, and shadows be more flat?

i have some doubts about the shading of the outer side of the arm (green arrow) and the shading above the elbow suggests that the metal band constricts the upper arm and it smells bit like pillow (blue arrow).
i think the correction could look something like what is on the left.
Attachments
file.png
file.png (12.99 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, homunculus, I think you are right.

francophone: I didn't want the skin to look shiny. I'm fine with dull and waxy. Also, diffuse light, not klieg lights, seems more general purpose for campaign use.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

well, actually the way i see things in the mirror, your version of the arm looks more close to anatomically correct than mine.
it just felt a bit fishy, and that it needed a more contrasting shadow to indicate the outer side of the arm, but it depends on the light direction which you know way better.

the upper arm is probably the attention point?
well, you might consider interpreting it a bit like the bone at the back of the shoulder is visible, as right now the upper arm looks bit long to me.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The arm needs more work, but I got more work done on the face. I think I got rid of that generic thing I drift toward.
aria-primeval2.png
aria-primeval2.png (81.84 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
On deck is Hermes, a messenger from, and stand-in for, all of the members of the Greek Pantheon I don't feel like drawing (which is most of them).
Hermes.png
Hermes.png (114.43 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
I think Apollo and Artemis are the only others in the series. Then I can go about changing names, since I'm not following the myths very closely.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

And a mostly shaded version.
Attachments
Hermes.png
Hermes.png (202.05 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
william150

Post by william150 »

good, but where are the legs?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

They will probably be cropped off. I have to adjust the cropping to get the images to work "in game". Wesnoth's scaling algorithm is non-existent, so large images get screwed up for reasonable resolutions.
francophone

Post by francophone »

Now it lacks the top of the wing on the helmet? It's a shame.
The neck muscles (sternocleidomastoideus) are not symmetrical. The left (our right) seems thicker than the other.
I do not understand the shape of the wings. The top is it flattened?

The lower of face and the neck have more contrast than the arms (is-it the finish shading ?).
The spear shaft looks bent to me. I checked: it is straight. Does it look bent to others?
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Don't be afraid to use some contrasting colors in your tones, try adding a new layer and do some "glazing" using 20-30% opacity in the shadows. I just tried it a quick n dirty attempt, maybe it's an improvement, maybe not :?
Attachments
Hermes_edit.png
Hermes_edit.png (209.19 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

francophone wrote:Now it lacks the top of the wing on the helmet? It's a shame.
The neck muscles (sternocleidomastoideus) are not symmetrical. The left (our right) seems thicker than the other.
I do not understand the shape of the wings. The top is it flattened?

The lower of face and the neck have more contrast than the arms (is-it the finish shading ?).
The spear shaft looks bent to me. I checked: it is straight. Does it look bent to others?
The neck muscles were supposed to be unequal in "tension" - the thin one is standing out more than the wide one. But the shading was very minimal, so there is no way anyone could know that. I will revise it, thanks. The spear does look crooked, and I'm sure there is a good reason for it, but it was unintentional, and should be fixed.
Crow_T wrote:Don't be afraid to use some contrasting colors in your tones, try adding a new layer and do some "glazing" using 20-30% opacity in the shadows. I just tried it a quick n dirty attempt, maybe it's an improvement, maybe not :?
Thanks, Crow_T. I'm not moving on to details like that until the foundation is right. No sense in fussing with the details if the figure is warped and goofy. (Which it often is, and I want to avoid turd-polishing.) But fresh eyes can help catch basic flaws that I've grown accustomed to, from looking at the image too long. That's why I post here. :)

Speaking of which, I've got another. No, she doesn't have the bow, but I think she still fits the general idea, within the context of her faction/race.
Attachments
Artemis1b.png
Artemis1b.png (147.03 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
francophone

Post by francophone »

Head feels very small (more than your other portraits)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I lowered her shoulder and re-drew the neck, I think it makes her look less bulky and might help make her head less "too small". She is supposed to be tall, so head a little bit small is OK.
Attachments
Artemis1c.png
Artemis1c.png (140.75 KiB) Viewed 3260 times