Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Art for Tales of the Setting Sun

Post by doofus-01 »

Two more rebels that I'm working on. There's clearly much shading to be done.
Attachments
Rebel3.jpg
Rebel3.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
rebel-female-2.jpg
rebel-female-2.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

And shading for one of them.
Attachments
rebel-female-2.png
rebel-female-2.png (127.71 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

And for the other. Some touch-ups to both are needed, but the big stuff should all now be done.
Attachments
Rebel3.png
Rebel3.png (143.42 KiB) Viewed 5463 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm going to give the conscripts at least one pair of generic portraits. I'll have versions for the armor-types, I won't draw the weapons and shields though, that would be too many images. So, basically 4-5 versions of about two portraits. This is a start: female conscript with no armor and with (unshaded) leather armor.
Attachments
conscript-female-leather.png
conscript-female-leather.png (74.03 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
conscript-female-cloth.png
conscript-female-cloth.png (88.73 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
perseo

Post by perseo »

Well, I'm not here to remember you how good you are XD... anyway I don't like the hair, I don't understand its behaviour... it's pretty unnatural for me, it seams like doing a strange twist before falling on her right shoulder.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The image is kind of unbalanced (or something, it looks wrong right after I flip it), and you're right, the hair is not helping. I marched on with the leather armor, and gave her a haircut which should help.
Attachments
conscript-female-leather.png
conscript-female-leather.png (106.43 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
perseo

Post by perseo »

Now it makes sense (at least for me). The image looks quite strange but this is because she's bearing and invisible shield, after drawing it I guess it would look pretty nice.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Those portraits are on hold for now. I'm going for a signpost. One was started here: http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=399786#p399786 but it looks like it just petered out. The conversation about the text seemed overly complicated, I just scratched random markings, maybe it's adequate.
Attachments
signpost.png
signpost.png (70.24 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ogres are a common enemy in this campaign, and even though they don't have any intelligent dialogue, they need a portrait. The pants etc. of the mainline ones don't really fit, so I'm making my own version. A monstrous bald guy in leather scraps might make sense, but might be too cliche. So a hairless caveman is where this is going, though I'm having second thoughts. In any case, I'm trying to avoid making him look like an orc or neanderthal, but still not a goofy/scary pet like Lordbob's version.
Attachments
grey_ogre.png
grey_ogre.png (56.72 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Upon further review, I realize he is using that spear like he's at a karaoke bar. This should be a better pose. (And it's partially shaded).
Attachments
grey_ogre2.png
grey_ogre2.png (129.8 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Great art! There is a tool to bend patterns to make them look more like natural cloth. In gimp 2.8 it is called cubicle transformation. It would work great for shoulders and hips. Process is: first bend a piece of pattern, than cut it in the shape you need it. Extremely useful.

I had trouble seeing the chakrams. They are actually transparent with no outline. The transparent halo did not help me. I tried out of curiosity. I put a black 1 pix outline and a reflection star on top and a white background underneath to kill transparency. The thing is now 3 pix thick. I sent you the xcf in case you like it and an ingame shot. I am sure you can come up with that yourself. I case you like to hide the chakram, please ignore.
ingame-chakram3.png
ingame-chakram3.png (366.27 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
chakram.xcf
(8.5 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I just used the chakram from mainline "projectiles" images, I didn't actually draw them. It was a place holder, and you are right, it is not very visible on the ground.

I didn't know about cubicle transformation, I'll have to check it out. Thanks. EDIT: I don't see anything by that name, a google search "gimp cubicle transformation" just turned up this forum post... Must be a mistranslation or something.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The male conscript portrait, no armor. The other variants are based off of this. The arms are a little short, but not enough for me to want to change it.
Attachments
ss_lightfoot.png
ss_lightfoot.png (108.78 KiB) Viewed 4886 times
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Awesome. I think the arms are perfect. The chest is a bit big. But that might be workout, because he is a cool conscript!
Keep up the good work!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm not making a whole faction of them, but there are some centaurs in this. They might even talk at some point, but they are mostly just disorganized foes. This is the basic one.
Attachments
centaur.png
centaur.png (90.78 KiB) Viewed 4811 times