Random doodles: climbing skeleton WIP

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
homunculus

Re: Random doodles: climbing skeleton WIP

Post by homunculus »

about the fireplace, the fire looks like a picture of fire on the fireplace, not like fire inside it.
i mean, it is as if picture skewed to the same perspective as the front face of the fireplace.
i would suggest trying to use the animated campfire frames scaled to suitable size, skewed so that the fire seems to go a little bit to go into the interior of the fireplace (as the air flows through the fireplace, from the room to the chimney), and cut with the selection of the inside of the fireplace.
maybe that would work.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

The skeleton climb: pushed its hip to the side after the hop, and now it reaches forward instead of to the right with R arm at the edge.

It looks OK to me now, and now it's got additional frames, please continue with critiquing and suggestions, thanks!

For some reason, I like the 3rd one down with less frames better than the two above it. My thought is that the top one looks like a monkey, the second one is just weird, the third one is somewhat rigid like what a skeleton would do.

@artisticdude: turns out I don't think I'm comprehending what you were saying completely.
Spoiler:
and do the fireplace tomorrow
Attachments
maybe better<br />350,100,300,,350,300,100,,150,650,750,,200,500,500,,1000
maybe better
1-8.2 full-2.gif (177.29 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
and it doesn't look right<br />350,100,300,,350,300,150,,350,650,750,,200,500,500,,1000
and it doesn't look right
1-8.2 full.gif (177.11 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
1-8.2 first half.gif
1-8.2 first half.gif (136.44 KiB) Viewed 3704 times
1-8 fast.gif
1-8 fast.gif (106.85 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

as known from alternating attack and defense animations, back and forth movements have the danger of looking like what has been called 'disco' in the forum.
if you want to bring the legs closer, perhaps bending the knee might reduce the disco effect.

as mentioned in a climbing instructional video that i watched earlier, there is not much pulling with the hand, but rather clinging with fingers, and pushing with legs, but whatever looks intuitive is probably best.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Not sure which frame(s) you're referring to for bending the knee... Though won't moving upwards mask the "disco" effect? I tried to make the legs straight only when they're dangling or propelling the body.

There's probably a difference in how a trained climber climbs compared to an untrained person versus a skeleton. My thought was that skeletons lack the agility the living beings have, but don't have to worry about conserving energy. Hence my favorite one so far is the third one from the top. Though, in terms of "disco" effect, I think the top animation has the least of it due to different movements applied to the two climbing segments. Thoughts?
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

battlestar wrote:Not sure which frame(s) you're referring to for bending the knee... Though won't moving upwards mask the "disco" effect? I tried to make the legs straight only when they're dangling or propelling the body.
yes, i meant the intermediate frames where the straight legs are close together.
basically i was just agreeing with you that the dangling looks weird, and mentioning the known disco effect that is similar.

even without the dangling, you might still decide to have some intermediate frames later, and this is where i suggested to try bending the knee for the next step rather than keeping the leg straight, with some hopes that it might look ok.

btw is there any dangling like that when climbing?
my guess is that dangling would put unnecessary pressure on the fingers that might outweigh the benefits.

edit: i see, there is one frame where you are doing some knee bend rather than dangling, though i would suggest bending the knee bit more.
or more precisely, to prefer whatever you decide looks the smoothest.

and, are you intending to use symmetry for the climbing animation?
because, if not, and the left and the right step differ noticeably, then you might get another rhythmic effect or even limp effect.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

These ones (transitions in the second phase)?
climb2-4.jpg
climb2-4.jpg (13.76 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
climb2-3.jpg
climb2-3.jpg (13.75 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
climb2-2.jpg
climb2-2.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
I kind of want to get rid of these three frames al-together, so it goes back to

I think these ones look OK (transitions in the first phase)
climb1-3.jpg
climb1-3.jpg (15.29 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
climb1-2.jpg
climb1-2.jpg (15.39 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

when you have tried to quit spriteing and to go on a longer wesbreak for two days now, and you ask yourself 'what am i doing right now?', and answers like 'but i have always wanted to draw this type of fish head' don't count, then what would you think has become of you?

btw when fish fall from the sky, i would guess they would fall head first, and therefore the tails should be out of the ground instead.
it would be easier with falling trees that become a forest, because trees would likely fall roots first.

edit: ouch, it looks as if i posted here for no apparent reason, because the request for the fish was in another thread:
battlestar wrote:[...]doing a few of them would be a great help.

Code: Select all

The following few might be particularly interesting (and important to the project):[...]
-A giant man-sized fish sticking straight up from the ground (as in half burrowed in dry land), with sharp teeth.[...]
edit2: ouch2, it said 'giant man-sized', not 'giant man-eating', now this man-eating version is clearly larger than necessary, maybe useless.
Attachments
groundfish.png
groundfish.png (2 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

OMG, it's perfect, lol I actually meant giant man-eating kind of size. This is perfect, thanks!
Actually overlaying the unit it's meant to swallow, and wow it PERFECTLY fits the character inside the fish XD
Valia in stomache.png
Valia in stomache.png (4.96 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Would you happen to have the time to animate it spring up from the ground? :D

--------------------------------
About the climbing animation, I don't think I understood your suggestions clearly...
"intermediate frames where the straight legs are close together"
I was thinking about the 3 continuous transitional frames in the second segment of movement where there's arm swinging along with leg dangling. Are we talking about the same frames?
even without the dangling, you might still decide to have some intermediate frames later, and this is where i suggested to try bending the knee for the next step rather than keeping the leg straight, with some hopes that it might look ok.
Was the suggestion here bending the legs instead of dangling?
you might get another rhythmic effect or even limp effect.
Not sure what those are...

----------------------------------
furnace: pushed fire inside the the furnace as suggested.
fire-place-fire.png
fire-place-fire.png (7.07 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
Attachments
wardrobe-drawer-open.png
wardrobe-drawer-open.png (8.56 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
fire-9 frames.gif
fire-9 frames.gif (32.93 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
screwing around with fire
screwing around with fire
fire-4 frames.gif (12.39 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
Last edited by battlestar on March 15th, 2012, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

wardrobe.
Attachments
wardrobe-clothes.png
wardrobe-clothes.png (8.38 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
wardrobe-hidden-bow.png
wardrobe-hidden-bow.png (9.11 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
wardrobe-open.png
wardrobe-open.png (8.52 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
wardrobe-closed.png
wardrobe-closed.png (7.81 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
ghost-wardrobe.gif
ghost-wardrobe.gif (12.4 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Skarbod. No armor, armored, helmet on. Base from orc colors.

Campaign character for Crimson sea
Attachments
skarbod-transform.gif
skarbod-transform.gif (9.48 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
skarbod.png
skarbod.png (4.62 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
skarbod-helmet.png
skarbod-helmet.png (4.51 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
skarbod.png
skarbod.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
skarbod.png
skarbod.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Boldek's sprites modified for other purposes. And a crop from core. Cauldron variations
Attachments
cauldron-troll-stew.png
cauldron-troll-stew.png (4.63 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
cauldron-tar.png
cauldron-tar.png (4.4 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
dead-horse.png
dead-horse.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
spilt-bag.png
spilt-bag.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 3551 times
merchant.png
merchant.png (3.55 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

horse drawn cart
Attachments
broken-cart.png
broken-cart.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
perspective?
perspective?
cart-horse.png (4.86 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

so much confusion over a small thing.
the purple (magenta) leg is something like what i meant.
not trying to suggest a perfect solution, that is up to you.

1) the two first images are not reflections of each other.
i think it is better if they would be reflections (this what i mentioned about symmetry earlier).
the shading will be different, but at least the stick figure and the flats are reusable.
the fifth image is climbing animation without the intermediate frame but completely symmetrical, and as far as i can see, using special frames for each side would produce no additional benefit (and just increases the danger of limping = left and right step animation look different).
2) the third and fourth images are an attempt to show how doing intermediate frames by interpolation is, in my opinion, easier.
i mean, interpolation is easier than extrapolation.
the idea is to make the animation smooth (as much as makes sense), as opposed to choppy, along with the disco and dangling problems mentioned earlier.
3) the fifth sixth is visualization of how my quick and sloppy intermediate frame guide might fit into the animation.

edit:
the wardrobe seems huge, the dark lines might be better if replaced by shading but that would be a lot of work, the doors change width.
the cart has a danger of ending up looking extremely heavy as if it is meant for transporting 10 tons of something, the center of the wheel might be below the cart not through the inside, the horse is not aligned with the center of the cart.
Attachments
climbing.gif
climbing.gif (8.67 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Ah, thanks for showing me what you meant. Nit-picking is actually appreciated. (And I love how the little two dudes are synchronized, reminiscent of a type of japanese dancing :D )

I think I'll leave the wardrobe as it is now. Though I did try to replace some dark lines with shading.

Going to work on the climbing, add the fire to the furnaceImageImage, finish the broken cartImage, finish the pit-champaign Image, create a human boy archer and dwarven girl healer, finish the grand clockImage, finish a bone pit floor, edit the falling rocks... then play around with the cart-horse to modify the things you've pointed out...

Then get to these things:
-spider nets, bones, rockslide, scorpion nest, skeletons against wall, poison cloud puff animation, king's corpse, undead king unit, mage towers, blue crystal, totem, leprechaun/recolor to mad hatter, lever (grounded), lever with legs, lever with claw tied to it, river over bridge, lightning bounce from lever, worm meat on a stick over campfire, snake fangs, wooden bucket, eroded rock, half buried amphora, thorns...

I just needed to clarify things with myself...

I won't mind getting help on any of these, in fact, it'll be much appreciated, and will be appropriately credited with the campaign that would utilize them.

Update: climbing animation, added intermediate for two more segments. I think that's all the intermediates I'm going for (otherwise it'll take too much to fill in the details). Take a look:

450 200 100
550 200 100
450 200 100
450 200 400
750 1000

And a question remains: where is the axe carried? ATM, I think it would be on the back.
Attachments
1-8.2 full-2.gif
1-8.2 full-2.gif (191.04 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

This looks terrible.
Attachments
still god awful.
still god awful.