SotS Campaign Artwork Thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Great_Mage_Atari

SotS Campaign Artwork Thread

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Alright everybody. So I made the Story of the Slimes campaign with some unique sprites. Yet now, I need to improve upon them even further. I wanted to create this thread to separate the discussion of the sprites themselves from the actual campaign thread. I wanted to hear from you, the users, as you are the ones who play it the most.
My first issue with my creations is this:
I like my original sprite that is being used currently, as shown here:
slime.png
slime.png (900 Bytes) Viewed 3207 times
Yet, it seems too... happy. Creepy, even. So, my epic dilemma is, do I swap out the whole face with something more serious, or something still happy in a way, but less creepy?
Attachments
slime-ooze.png
slime-ooze.png (732 Bytes) Viewed 3207 times
homunculus

Re: SotS Campaign Artwork Thread

Post by homunculus »

Is that supposed to be radioactive slime?
You probably know it yourself, but could you do it with less bright colors?

If you are intending to reinvent mudcrawlers, please do not only look at the latest sprites but also the old ones, because the update somehow lost the mudcrawlers closing their eyes.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Great_Mage_Atari

homunculus wrote:Is that supposed to be radioactive slime?
Accidentally added in the green one here. Did you even bother to read the title of the picture? Guess not.
homunculus wrote:You probably know it yourself, but could you do it with less bright colors?
This is why it's the art workshop. The colors are that bright because under 70% transparency, the colors are toned down a bit. Under any other colors they would fade even more.
homunculus wrote:If you are intending to reinvent mudcrawlers, please do not only look at the latest sprites but also the old ones, because the update somehow lost the mudcrawlers closing their eyes.
No. These are slimes. Mudcrawlers don't look like slime. They look like, and I'm gonna hate myself for even saying this, mud. They look like mud.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Finally! Something that actually looks like slime! I have to say, the old stuff looked like fancy Jell-O. These are much better.
Timshel
Great_Mage_Atari

Do you mean the first or second slime?
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Their faces should be in same perspective as the bodies.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Wait, what? I thought that first joke of the campaign is the fact that DragonQuest/genericRPGenemy style slime are faction of protagonists.
Now, they are... some oozes?
Adding :3 catsmile instead of what was there is surely an improvement.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Great_Mage_Atari

I apologize once again for adding the green ooze. It ws a mistake on my part
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

the question would be what kind of slime he is. if he's a poison slime, than I guess it's okay to look kinda messy, I mean his job is to poison people, and if that means oozing all over people, that's fine. the pic: hmm, with the grumpy slime face and the fact he looks like melting icecream, I would suggest turning this into a death animation.

edit: to answer your question, yeah, he looks grumpy, and sorta weird. I like that fact that the slimes look kinda strange with the happy faces.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Great_Mage_Atari

Well Im keeping the first deaign. I may make the slime :3, like so (thanks to Shinobody), or give him a cool stache. The 2nd one is an Ooze Slime, though it will probably be either a death animation now or a sub for the Poison Slime, as Boldek noted.
death160

Post by death160 »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:Alright everybody. So I made the Story of the Slimes campaign with some unique sprites. Yet now, I need to improve upon them even further. I wanted to create this thread to separate the discussion of the sprites themselves from the actual campaign thread. I wanted to hear from you, the users, as you are the ones who play it the most.
My first issue with my creations is this:
I like my original sprite that is being used currently, as shown here:
slime.png
Yet, it seems too... happy. Creepy, even. So, my epic dilemma is, do I swap out the whole face with something more serious, or something still happy in a way, but less creepy?
I really like your green slime, he looks very expressive. :3
I Don't Have A Signature.
lipk

Post by lipk »

I apologize once again for adding the green ooze. It ws a mistake on my part
Edit -> Remove Attachment
Accidentally added in the green one here. Did you even bother to read the title of the picture? Guess not.
Did you even bother to preview your post? Guess not. Did you bother to edit it? Sure not.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I would prefer the general form of the second slime, it looks more like what could be called a slime.
However, I think I prefer the "happy" face.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Trubbol

Post by Trubbol »

The second one looks better.
Check out my new sprites!! http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34347 ❤♪
And don't forget to look at my deviantart.
http://trubbol.deviantart.com/
Great_Mage_Atari

lipk wrote:
Did you even bother to preview your post? Guess not. Did you bother to edit it? Sure not.
I didn't edit it because the next few replies wouldn't make any sense. I previewed it without the knowledge that I did not remove the second file, making it appear in the last line. Got it? Good.
Trubbol wrote:The second one looks better.
As Shinobody said, I did kind of go for the pseudo-Dragon Quest Slime look. The green one is a variation. Now, I decided that I will be incorporating the same kind of mouth and eyes to the rest of the Slimes. Ya gotta admit, they are kinda cute.
Drakefriend wrote:I would prefer the general form of the second slime, it looks more like what could be called a slime.However, I think I prefer the "happy" face.
Well, the happy face is a little creepy... but since some people like it, it will be kept in some Slimes. The second Slime is called an Ooze Slime (for various reasons). So that one will stay nearly as-is.