Tips on Character Weapons?

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Golden_Soldier

Re: Tips on Character Weapons?

Post by Golden_Soldier »

I actually think that frankensteined portraits are better place holders because they go better with the style of wesnoth, like if you made a hand drawn portrait (like i did) and had it talk to just a regular unit the differences in the styles of art would really just look stupid.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

But what I'm trying to say, is the fact that it'd be placeholder which would have big chances of never getting replaced, and this is... bad. :evil:
Please, this is abomination. Let's drag it back into darkness it came from... :cry:
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

yes but it would still be much better than having this as a permanent portrait. Really its all a matter of opinion. I personally think the white mage looks ok!
Attachments
Image (2).png
Image (2).png (205.65 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

For what it's worth, I don't think frankensteined portraits will work. Too many different size variations, light sources, styles, angles... all of which is less of an issue with small-scale pixel art like Wesnoth sprites (which all have fairly consistent sizes and light sources anyway). In a very few situations you might be able to pull off a decent frankie portrait, but those situations would be few and far between, and would allow only a few minor options (replacement of a hand, or small weapon, or something minor of that order).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

The thing is that that is from looking closely at the portrait with the keen eye of an artist. Most people (including me) look at the portrait for about 2 seconds while playing the game and then read the dialog. So having the right lighting is nice (definetly needed for mainline) but frankensteined portraits can be ok too.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Golden_Soldier wrote:Most people (including me) look at the portrait for about 2 seconds while playing the game and then read the dialog.
So then why does anyone bother with the damned things?

I understand that it's tempting to throw up your hands when the drawing isn't going well and to look for shortcuts, but what you're pursuing somewhat offensive to the artists (I don't remember the thread, but it has specifically come up before). In addition to what artisticdude said, it dilutes the original work. GPL and all, no police or lawyers are going to come pounding on your door, but I do hope you change your thoughts.

And by the way, even if the art isn't so great, I too would rather see something new than a frankenstein-ed portrait.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

Im not saying that having good portraits are bad (in fact its quite the opposite. I love the mainline portraits. I sometimes bring up the campaign files just to see the amazing work :P ) All im saying is that if your making a campaign that might not get played much it can be nice to just make something quick that at a first glance fits with other portraits instead of having something that is obviously not mainline quality. And if it is a big hit, well then im sure you'll be able to get somebody to make them for you (IftU, BMR (actually in Bad moon rising you probly dont have to worry about the art, im sure you got that handled. your portraits are quite nice :P ) Also im sorry if i seemed offensive, I didnt mean it to be.
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

Of course original portraits are better, even if the art is worse, but GMA asked if it were possible, and it is sometimes possible. I only posted this to show so. I'm sorry if I've upset any of the art devs; I only meant this by way of example; and I don't recommend that anybody does this for a campaign at all. But as to it having less chances of being replaced, doesn't that imply that a frankenstine is better?
Please excuse my bad English - my first language is BASIC.

Proud to be a citizen of Nowhereisland.
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

Like I said before
Golden_Soldier wrote: Really its all a matter of opinion.