Re: Boldek's art dump: OP killer sniper rifle marines!

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Boldek

Re: Re: Boldek's art dump (Elites, Wort Wort!)

Post by Boldek »

Shinobody wrote:You need more contrast on aliens. Use brighter colors for highlights and darker for shadows.
battlestar wrote:Please consider some anti-aliasing for the rough blocky borders on outlines of the swords and characters.
Okay, does this look much of an improvement?
Attachments
new
new
elite-pistol-lighter.png (4.49 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
old
old
elite-pistol-new.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Sometimes I use a transparent brush/pencil to draw as a means to anti-aliase, and with that you can make certain parts such as the tip of the head look sharper. Some parts there are still notable stair like pixels while other parts (especially the back) have blended together making it turtle-shell like. The old one was better where the little piece stuck out on the back so it feels like there are multiple pieces there.
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Sometimes I use a transparent brush/pencil to draw as a means to anti-aliase, and with that you can make certain parts such as the tip of the head look sharper. Some parts there are still notable stair like pixels while other parts (especially the back) have blended together making it turtle-shell like. The old one was better where the little piece stuck out on the back so it feels like there are multiple pieces there.
Don't do it. Pixelart should not use half-transparent pixels. It's evil. Instead, study curved survaces from mainline sprites with zoom, to understand how they achieve non-jaggy lines. Effect originates froms overusing straight lines and 45 degrees slopes, rather than using different versions.
And yes, in terms of shading it is visible improvement.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Boldek

Re: Boldek's art dump (Elites, Wort Wort!)

Post by Boldek »

battlestar wrote:Sometimes I use a transparent brush/pencil to draw as a means to anti-aliase, and with that you can make certain parts such as the tip of the head look sharper. Some parts there are still notable stair like pixels while other parts (especially the back) have blended together making it turtle-shell like. The old one was better where the little piece stuck out on the back so it feels like there are multiple pieces there.
After consulting a picture, I decided that I had to change the armor any way, so I attempted a better shot of the elite's arm guards while trying to break the monotone. I hope this looks better:
Attachments
elite-pistol-lighter.png
elite-pistol-lighter.png (4.51 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Boldek

Re: Boldek's art dump (Shotguns!)

Post by Boldek »

Here is the shotgun animation for the Marine, (Please ignore the 0 transparency issues, the barrel actually does move):
Attachments
Dang 0 transparency
Dang 0 transparency
Marine-shotgun.gif (7.09 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Just wondering why he's crouching down when he fires his weapon?

To further the critique, he's attacking east, not southeast (which could probably merit a complete redraw of the gun to be incredibly fussy), the gun isn't giving him much recoil at all, and IMHO the gunpowder flare at the end of the barrel could stand to be larger.

I hope you don't mind, but I fiddled a bit with your animation (and after all that I didn't point the gun southeast either):
attack.gif
attack.gif (2.7 KiB) Viewed 4389 times
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Reepurr wrote:Just wondering why he's crouching down when he fires his weapon?

To further the critique, he's attacking east, not southeast (which could probably merit a complete redraw of the gun to be incredibly fussy), the gun isn't giving him much recoil at all, and IMHO the gunpowder flare at the end of the barrel could stand to be larger.

I hope you don't mind, but I fiddled a bit with your animation (and after all that I didn't point the gun southeast either):
attack.gif
Sorry, that's the defend animation, it's not supposed to be a part of the actual action sequence.

I did realize that the gun angle is off, but being lazy I thought I'd just try to get away with that, I suppose it could mean a lot to change that angle. Since this attack is for a single shot, I tried to make flare short and quick, but perhaps it would be better to overdue on stuff like that. Your attack sequence is definitely superior to mine, I guess I'll go back and try out your advice.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Just whipped something up, how does this compare?
Attachments
new
new
Marine-shotgun-big.gif (3.31 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
old
old
Marine-shotgun-small.gif (3.22 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

Wow. nice sprites. :shock:
It seems, though, that on frame 3 of the new one, you didn't remove the light off of the shooter's face.
battlestar

Re: Re: Boldek's art dump (Shotguns!)

Post by battlestar »

When shooting a gun with a lot of recoil power, the shooter will have to transfer the recoil to the shoulders instead of arms (otherwise the gun will jump up and hit the shooter in the face). That means the recoil will tilt the entire body back. The time of recoil action should be a little shorter than the recovery time from the recoil. Hope this is helpful.

unless you're a very big guy with a little pistol
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

battlestar wrote:When shooting a gun with a lot of recoil power, the shooter will have to transfer the recoil to the shoulders instead of arms (otherwise the gun will jump up and hit the shooter in the face). That means the recoil will tilt the entire body back. The time of recoil action should be a little shorter than the recovery time from the recoil. Hope this is helpful.

unless you're a very big guy with a little pistol
Aha. Does this make a convincing shotgun or should I finally stop relying on cut&paste?
Marine-shotgun-big.gif
Marine-shotgun-big.gif (3.31 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Wow. nice sprites. :shock:
It seems, though, that on frame 3 of the new one, you didn't remove the light off of the shooter's face.
The first is the standby, and two are firing. Do you mean the light angle?
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Here's some more sprites and a new palette:
Attachments
dark-pallette.png
dark-pallette.png (8.64 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
Spartan-plasma-rifle.png
Spartan-plasma-rifle.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
Spartan-plasma-pistol.png
Spartan-plasma-pistol.png (3.65 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I like the direction of these sprites. It would seem to me that the shotgun looks too much like an assault rifle. Maybe increasing the diameter of the barrel, the location of the iron sight, and the shape of the gun a bit would convince me a bit more.
battlestar

Re: Re: Boldek's art dump (Shotguns!)

Post by battlestar »

Maybe make the animation faster, especially the recoil part, feels like watching it in slow-mo atm.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:I like the direction of these sprites. It would seem to me that the shotgun looks too much like an assault rifle. Maybe increasing the diameter of the barrel, the location of the iron sight, and the shape of the gun a bit would convince me a bit more.
Okay. This is the picture I based it off:
shotgun.jpg
shotgun.jpg (2.88 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
Does this look more shotgunish?
Marine-shotgun.png
Marine-shotgun.png (5.29 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
battlestar wrote:Maybe make the animation faster, especially the recoil part, feels like watching it in slow-mo atm.
I just set each frame at 300 milseconds so you could scrutinize it better. In the game it'll much faster.