Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Re: Sleepwalker's totally uncalled for pixels

Post by Sleepwalker »

I recently got a shot of inspiration on drawing possible portraits for the Demons in IftU. Depicting them according to their descriptions and Shadowmasters sprites, or as I imagine it. These here are the basic demons.

The shapes on the female demons back are supposed to be undeveloped wings...

I took a small liberty with the curly hair there, hope it doesn't conflict with the lore.

Well, if you see this Shadowmaster, then give me your blessing if you want me to continue. :)

About the Undead sprites, I'll get around to them, sometime. :whistle:
Attachments
Demons.png
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Sleepwalker's totally uncalled for pixels

Post by Iris »

Sleepwalker wrote:Well, if you see this Shadowmaster, then give me your blessing if you want me to continue. :)
*thumbs up*
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: Sleepwalker's randomness, current - IftU Demon portraits

Post by kitty »

More art for IftU! Yay! Very demon-ish and I really like the undeveloped wings on her back!

But I'm not so sure about her head's position, I can turn my head like that but it's really uncomfortable… Plus her jaw line should be at more of an angle and her ear should be a tad lower. His rear hand could use a bit more tension, it's a bit soft atm.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Nicely done and very demonic.
I can imagine them in a thrashmetal band called Solidarity Hates Melanie or something.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks kitty, I'll get to it soon. :)

But until then... a level 3 orcish assassin. I'll call it Nightblade.

I know there is a level 3 by the name of Nightstalker, used as Dark Assassin in UTBS? But it's not mainline for some reason. Is it outdated graphics or some balance reason?

Suggestion for stats:

hp:50
dagger: 10-3 blade
throwing knives: 7-3 blade, posion, marksman
kick: 12-2 impact
Attachments
Nightblade.png
Nightblade.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 5104 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

*wolf whistles*
Nice.

The weird thing is though, while the L3 is standing in a way, way wider pose, he's actually shorter than the L2. In fact, if he stood up, he'd still be roughly the same height (rather than a couple of pixels taller). That's a minor complaint though.

The (er...what's he wearing) seems to be far baggier than the rest of the line, and there's more contrast too (note the dark parts are a lot darker), but again, these are fairly minor complaints on an awesome sprite.
EDIT: Turns out you're using the second-darkest shade much more than in the Slayer, which is why it seems to have more contrast...I think.
Last edited by Reepurr on February 20th, 2011, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

the assasin in UtBS is a unique hero-type unit as far as I remember, probably that's why you don't see it as a mainline advance
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Looks nice. I think he'd look a little bulkier and more "level-3-ish" if he had a bit more elbow on his right arm.

It doesn't show up in your suggested stats so I'll mention that it looks like he has a Wolverine claw.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The base image for the Orcish Nightblade looks great but stats are not correctly balanced.
The Assassin-line is frail but elusive (the ninja pose looks nice.)

Improved Suggested Stats:
moves=7 (Ninjas are fast and elusive,)
hp=45 (As I said, they are frail.)
cost=47 (Random value. Other values should be about 42+)
dagger: 11-2 blade, (backstab?)
kick 12-2 impact
abilities->concealment/skirmisher/nightstalk? (pick one, because I can't decide.)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Reepurr: I examined your comments and indeed, they ring true! I grew the guy a few extra inches gave him a few more brighter spots.

StDrake: Well ok then.

doofus-01: For some reason I wanted him to hold the throwing knives between his fingers, with a fisted hand... Yeah it looks like a claw too much so scrap that then. The shoulder should poke forwards a bit more now anyway.

Lord-Knightmare: Since it's an orc I reckoned that even if it's a frail unit it could at least have similar hp of the human assassin (51). Buuut comparing Rogue and Slayer I see now that Slayer has in fact less hp... Also I felt like not giving it any stealthy abilities as it doesn't befit orcs, and would rather enhance its raw power or survivability. Mostly because when playing campaigns with orcs the slayer kind of looses it's usefulness, or any slayers you have gets killed because they are so fragile. But meh, if anyone would like to use the sprite for anything they would give it stats according to their tastes anyway.

I re-suggest 2 versions, but yeah, it's only suggestions:

move:7
hp:48
dagger: 10-3 blade
throwing knives: 6-4 blade, posion, marksman

move:7
hp:48
dagger: 11-2 blade, backstab

I blocked out a attack animation too, inspired by girgistians/(TSI's?) slayer and rhyging5's guy for TSG.

Also: anatomy exercise Male demon! Done? I think so...
Attachments
Nightblade.png
Nightblade.png (9.78 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
nightblade-attack-se.gif
nightblade-attack-se.gif (4.85 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
regular.png
regular.png (199.5 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
regular.png
regular.png (56.19 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
demons.rar
(255.93 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
- Nercy Masayon
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

One thing for your assassin, DAs won't attack it because of poison ranged and no undead melee fighter would attack because of the impact attack. Especially if he's on a village. (basically OP against undead) Perhaps reduce the kick to 9-2?
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Sleepwalker - you keep blowing me away. Saurians, horsemen, and now you're doing this just in case someone wants it!
Now why can't I be that cool?

Compared to the Slayer, the Nightblade seems rather melee-based to me. Nightblades get a dagger attack either equal to a Level 2 pikeman, or a ridiculously strong assassination attack that would scare away a Rogue, and on top of that they have a powerful poison attack which, damage-wise, is as good as a Level 1. To me, this sort of ridiculous power doesn't befit even an orc when they train in assassination. Here's what I put forward:

HP: 47
MP: 7
Dagger - 12-2 blade
Throwing knives - 8-3 blade; poison marksman
Kick - 7-2 impact

Reasons for this:
47HP is consistent with the HP assassins normally gain per level.

7MP means the Level 3 gets a major power-up in at least one way.

The Dagger is weaker than the suggestions because Assassins are not very good with their daggers. Oddly enough, the Dagger is equal in damage output to the throwing knives.

The Throwing knives are quite good because of the range bias (ish) of the assassins. However, it does not have an extra hit because poison as well as marksman is already quite powerful, without an extra 60% chance to poison...

The Kick is quite weak to make sure players don't try and get one of their assassins levelled for dealing with both DAs and Skeletons easily (well, the Level 2s of those, probably, but my case still stands). To me it's just an interesting utility, not one of its main damage attacks.

@ monochromatic: While Skeletons might not dare attack it, and DAs probably wouldn't be suicide-spammed, there are always Ghosts...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Reepurr wrote: @ monochromatic: While Skeletons might not dare attack it, and DAs probably wouldn't be suicide-spammed, there are always Ghosts...
Or perhaps better yet - skeleton archers, a unit which should kinda have its uses against northerners anyway.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Dixie wrote:
Reepurr wrote: @ monochromatic: While Skeletons might not dare attack it, and DAs probably wouldn't be suicide-spammed, there are always Ghosts...
Or perhaps better yet - skeleton archers, a unit which should kinda have its uses against northerners anyway.
:doh: keep forgetting those guys. Ignore my comment Sleepwalker! And cheers again for the wonderful artwork!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I really like the demon! The only thing I see is a very close similarity in color of the pants and his axe-head, which makes it look muddled in the smaller version.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well