Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
bera
Art Contributor

Re: TAM artwork

Post by bera »

Yep, I agree with you. They are ancient portraits though. I wish I could motivate myself to give an haul up to many of my old work, but I rather
use that time to work on new ones, more fun that way... Oh, I do intend to rework my goblin portraits at some point however :P.

So, back to Athos: gave him flats, and some further definition. As Blarumyrran has pointed much much earlier, and as I can appreciate that pointer
better now, I will try to render the materials with more caution on this one. What I'm saying is, it has quite bit of more work yet.
Attachments
athos.png
comics, comics
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Love this guy's attitude, and the colors and textures are looking great so far. :)

Tiny, tiny nitpick that you're probably going to fix anyway: based on the perspective of his pants and shoulders, his left foot should be slightly higher up in the image.
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Update on Athos. Probably it's finished. I am posting it with a wesnoth background to simulate the dialogue mode. I should decide how to chop it hips up
in order to convert it to a portrait. I guess I'll add some further details and stuff at that stage...

Btw you better click on the image otherwise it looks too dull imo.
Attachments
athos.png
comics, comics
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

This is a great portrait.
Well done. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I would like more outline. Your art is looking great and getting better all the time.

About the skin color. I think the secret to skin color is:
Light spots based on orange (almost white) Gimp 25
darker spots based on pink/rose (from red still with a lot of white) Gimp 0

Basically it is not one color in different brightness. Darker spots have to be more rosy, like cheeks and so on.

However, if you want a single color skin orange is best (Gimp value like 25). For dark skin (like black people) the base color can be yellow or orange and monochromatic works fine for me (Less hue and brightness, but a lot of contrast).

About the frog: I think the frog is better than the bone. But I would draw the frog not open, means live like. Basically not cut in pieces. Or a gem or a technical thingy.
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

thanks for the encouragement, all.

Wussel, agreed :). I was feeling I had a problem with the skin on Alderot's portrait as well, but mainly because its coloring was somewhat similar to his outfit.
Well, so I repainted his face, added outlines. I'll call this one finished as it is.

Regarding Morteau's portrait I do also agree frog was a much more interesting (and easily read) feature than that piece of bone I substituted it with. If there's
request either Bob_the_Mighty or jb I guess I will be inclined to redo that part...
Attachments
athos.png
athos.png (182.53 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
comics, comics
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi Bera. Glad to see you back in action. Athos looks full of character, all sly and swagger. Nice work.

As for Dr Morteau, I actually used the frog one in the end (I agree, it is more interesting).

We will be making an update to The Altaz Mariners at some point, Athos will be included. Are you planning to start on another portrait for us? Should we post a list of possible candidates?
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Hi Bob!

Glad you liked it. And yes, I was thinking to give a try for Solane's portrait at some point. Are there going to be others? You could send or post a list, and I'll see what I can do.

ps: perhaps I'll edit Morteau's portrait, taking the frog from another angle so that's it's more obvious what he's playing with. Or, if you have some other suggestion to replace the frog,
you could let me know and as long as it fits into his current pose I may do it that way.
comics, comics
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Hi Bera, hope you do not mind. I just showing you an appr. 1,5 pixel black outline. (1 pixel in front but full black background behind your art layer (would remove any transparency as side effect). Of course outlines can be colored.

I like this artistic style even more than the full digital style but a full digital outline (only outside) has its merits.

The outline makes the art pop out of the background better. (Just my opinion.)

In the upper left corner you have 3 areas of stray pixel.

Sharing the full standing picture (without outline and background) would be cool to paste Athos in storyline background pictures. I am under the impression that TAM is using a lot of renaissance art work which is probably public domain.

About skin color on previous pictures: The secret to digital skin color is a extremely light (almost white) orange which get patched up with a light red on darker spots. The use of orange on darker spots is really not recommended. Monochromatic skin is not working very well.
athos.png
athos.png (183.18 KiB) Viewed 5333 times
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Art popping out in the background is surely the opposite of what you want, as you'd want people focusing on the character's portrait.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I think you're misinterpreting the term "popping out".
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

speaking of popping out that 'stache has been bugging me (I also touched up one eye slightly)
Attachments
athos2.png
athos2.png (176.75 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

:), but that could also be modified the other way round, to give a meaning to that hand gesture: "my kung fu is better than yours, and also my mustache is longer".
Attachments
athos.png
athos.png (19.39 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

So how is popping out meant, if I misonterpreted the word's meaning within the set context?
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

here are some synonyms: jump out, leap out, pop out

The background is the game. Art has to pop out of this environment to be distinguished. Test it if you want. Take Artos with outline and without and see the difference in game.

Stray pixel alert in the upper right corner! Please remove them. I can see one with my bare eyes. The other 2 are either wise or transparent.