TAM artwork

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
GangrN

Re: TAM artwork

Post by GangrN »

I really love your inspiration, especially the first two ogres. Too bad they were rejected, it was very clever.

I like the fact that your characteres seem to be "normal" people too. But I think I can see why some say the facials are all the same. It is not absolutely the case since they do have different faces; but it's true that the lips are always thin, and the eyes look always dim. Maybe you will find it useful to give some highlights in the eyes, and thespaceinvader was true when he said you need more contrast.

Anyway, I really love your characters.
Regards,

GangrN
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Thank you all! I agree with all of the C&Cs heartily. Taking them into account I tried to make some corrections. I revised the hair for Renaldo and Hilldon, put a tiny hairline for Marko, reworked the pattern+shading for Renaldo.

Bob: I am actually quite fond of the face of Renaldo as it is. Gives him a snobbish look, don't you think? The make up effect wasn't intentional, but suits him good imo...

GangrN: good observation. I'll bear this in mind for future portraits. :)

So, I'm of mind to call these 4 (including Gaddon) finished unless any further serious objections show themselves.
Attachments
marko.png
marko.png (139.83 KiB) Viewed 5338 times
renaldor.png
renaldor.png (142.07 KiB) Viewed 5338 times
hilldon.png
hilldon.png (168.64 KiB) Viewed 5338 times
comics, comics
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Hello all,

Been sort of busy, but fortunately managed to find some time/motivation for the remaining portraits.

I decided to rework on Alderot and Athena portraits. Here comes the WIP on linework. I was thinking to swap the veil surrounding her figure with watery flow, and I still am, though technically it's demanding considering I have very little experience on such effects. Anyhow we'll see.
Attachments
athena.png
athena.png (92.88 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
comics, comics
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hey Bear,

Glad to see you back in action. Just in time too, we are extremely close to a massive release. Can't wait to see what you come up with, your work so far has been brilliant.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Sounds great! TAM looks like a pretty interesting campaign.
Last edited by StandYourGround on July 18th, 2011, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will now resume lurking silently.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

bera, here's some a recap of some of the characters...

Alderot
He is an old friend of the pirate brothers, though he still maintains a cautious distance from their affairs. He runs a disreptuable port for drunks, gamblers and pirates. He should be fairly old, bearded and tubby - but showing signs of having had a rough life in the past. Capable of being jovial, he is still wary enough to hold his own. Maybe he would look a bit like Brian Blessed.

Athena
A elvish druid who oversees the fountain of life. She is rarely all-there, often distracted by visions, etc. Basically a hippy chick who speaks entirely in annoying rhymes. I think she could do with looking less happy.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hi again Bear. Another character I'd like you to think about is Dr. Morteau.
Spoiler:

cheers,
jb
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

Some update on Athena. Tried to make her more sober, I hope this will do? I spent some time on water, but I wonder do I need more work on that?... Oh and I used tranparency, check it out with a dark background, looks far better that way :)

Thank you for the detailed explanation for Alderot, Bob, I'll certainly keep them in mind for the next portrait.

jb, maybe, it all depends on my schedule, but I'll try to give Morteu character a shot, Though, unless you wish him
to be drawn as some lame steampunk guy, because that's as far as my imagination goes, could I also ask you to have some inspirational reference material as well? I firmly believe such pieces will help us align our minds about the project to a good extend.
Attachments
athena.png
athena.png (182.93 KiB) Viewed 4963 times
comics, comics
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

This is probably the best picture I can imagine for the Dr.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1249220608/tt0049223
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Athena's pose and clothes are very nice, especially the garlands and the veil thing. Almost looks like she is dancing, which fits. There's some issues though:

1. Her left arm (our right) looks quite short between her elbow and shoulder. Plus the elbow should probably have a recess/bone/crease at that angle.
2. The outlines and the lines on the neck are jaggedy/pixelated.
3. Her face seems wrong to me. It's almost as if the left side of her head is half in profie, while the other side is more straight-on. Also, what are the things that poke out of her hair towards her cheeks? They look a bit like the continuation of her ears. I'm wondering if she would be better off without ears altogether.

Looking forward to seeing more of this portrait...
My current projects:
bera
Art Contributor

Post by bera »

I adressed some of those issues. Stretched her upper arms a bit, played with her trunk (she looked somewhat boxy). Those things over her cheeks that you have confused as extensions of her ears were meant to be hairlocks... Played slightly with those as well (didn't completely delete them to keep some irregularity for her hair). However, I couldn't and still can't see anything wrong with her face. Anyway, I'm posting it with black background this time to emphasize her veil which I actually meant to look as a flow of water. Probably it's not that obvious, but I'll let it stay at this time as I am out of ideas to better execute it atm - actually, I may very likely call it finished.

Also, a WIP on Alderot. If you ask my opinion a lofty necklace would look good on him (purely on aesthetical grounds), any suggestions as what that could look like?
Attachments
athena.png
athena.png (166.94 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
alderot.png
alderot.png (119.37 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
comics, comics
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Athena's veil looks nice, I'm not sure how to improve it either. Maybe make the part in the bottom-right (our right) corner broader and going back from the page, like you did in the line art? Her arms look very frail or emaciated. If that's not intentional, you could give her some muscles.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello,

About Athena: I think her left cheek (our right) is too low. A slight asymmetry adds character to the faces of your portraits of men, and I like it, but not so to hers. To show what I mean:
athena.png
athena.png (179.58 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
Greetings

Lurker
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I think it might be Athena's mouth I find odd. Could it be a bit smaller? Currently she reminds me a little bit of an old kid's show called The Riddlers.

Alderot is looking good, although isn't he a bit big? Rather than jewelry I'd say he needs some sign of a weapon. Just a glimpse of a dagger on his belt, or the hilt of a mace, would do.
My current projects:
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I think Aderot is looking great. As for a necklace, perhaps a sextant.

http://www.stanleylondon.com/sextantnecklace.htm
My MP campaigns
Gobowars