Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
boru

Re: Swamplings Art Thread - comments greatly appreciated

Post by boru »

These are beautiful!

Have you considered doing a portrait for the wolf spirit in the scenario Dire Cave? He's the only wolf who actually has a speaking role. His name is Swift One, and he's the ghost of the last direwolf.

EDIT:
Here's how he looks in the help screen:
wolf-helpscreen.png
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

Hmmm a ghost-wolf? it is another matter entirely
I have never done anything like this :whistle:

:hmm:
Regards,

GangrN
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Wow these are beautiful portraits! Good job, GangrN!

One little nitpick about the wolves; their feet are missing. This isn't so bad in the dialogue sequences, but especially in the unit descriptions it looks odd.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

bigkahuna wrote:Wow these are beautiful portraits! Good job, GangrN!

One little nitpick about the wolves; their feet are missing. This isn't so bad in the dialogue sequences, but especially in the unit descriptions it looks odd.
Thank you

In fact, I made it for dialogs and did not even think it could be of any use for descriptions, since it was intended to be part of a special charcacter's dialog pic. And the pic was supposed to be cropped so that the feet would be out of the border. :oops:

Err. Will have to fix this. Too. Again.
But let's proceed to the goblin now.

I would be honored if some of you take the time to leave a comment about which one you prefer. It is meant to represent Eeep, the goblin who dances with the wolves. I do not intend to give him a weapon at all to figure out the fact that the wolves are not only war weapons to him, but true friends (maybe the weapon is in the hand you can't see). Plus, Eeep has a wide tree, which would require at least 3 different portraits.
The wolf is howling, and a wolf only howls with its siblings and family, so it is meant to represent the strong connection between them.

Enough talk
Attachments
Elder Eep, wise one.
Elder Eep, wise one.
Regards,

GangrN
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

Ooop!
wrong button.
Younger Eeep. More in contact with the wolf (similar pose)
Younger Eeep. More in contact with the wolf (similar pose)
Please note that the goblins are NOT YET drawn! these are only sketches! I am still not sure if Eeep will bear tattoos, trinkets and the like. These are general poses. Suggestions welcome.

Please note again that there will be 2 versions: one by night and one by day, as usual.
Regards,

GangrN
Stern
Art Contributor

Post by Stern »

I really like the wolf portrait, you did a marvelous job on it GangrN!
In the first sketch, Eep does not look very happy with his arms crossed and head downturned. He looks quite forlorn in this manner. To me, this does not quite match the idea of an adventurous goblin who goes out and makes friends with large scary wolves.
I prefer the second sketch in which Eep's pose is more dynamic. He looks very shocked or surprised by something.
I was wondering if you could try a third pose where Eep is a bit more relaxed and is interacting with the wolf. For example, Eep could be leaning non-chalantly against the wolf with his arm around it and talking to someone off screen. Overall, I am excited to see more of your work.
Doing things one step at a time. Current Project: Speckles the Toad!
boru

Post by boru »

GangrN wrote:In fact, I made it for dialogs and did not even think it could be of any use for descriptions, since it was intended to be part of a special charcacter's dialog pic. And the pic was supposed to be cropped so that the feet would be out of the border. :oops:
For now, I'll crop the wolf's legs in the small portrait, and we can update it at a later time if necessary.

Here's what the cropped portrait looks like in game:
wolf-helpscreen2.png
wolf-portrait.png
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

Did you find the way to display portraits accordingly with daytime?
Regards,

GangrN
boru

Post by boru »

Yes.

GangrN

Post by GangrN »

Yessss!
Regards,

GangrN
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

Hello everyone

This is the pic for Eeep in its current state. It needs some further work, but I won't be able to work on it until february. So it will be kept in its state for now.
Further developments in mind can include, but are not limited to:
- tattoos on the back and maybe the skull (depending on how I will manage to distort it nicely along the muscles)
- trinkets such as bracers??? no great idea for now, I am open to ideas but I would like to keep a crude & primitive appearance in contrast with his maid's, because Eeep has a more strong connection with nature imo
- better details for the belt and the loincloth
- a complete revision of lightings/shadowings, especially eye and hand, but maybe checking some errors on the back / torso (some time has to go before I can spot them)
- a moonlit version and maybe a cave one (since a part of the story is in caves)

It is intended to be a generic portrait that could fit with every possible level of the unit, so I am probably not going to place specific weapons such as torches, armor or spears unless I find a way to place them without making him too civilized. Maybe a knife knotted on the waist.

For now, I will not work on another pose until this one is finished, so critiques are expected on things I can change and don't require to restart from scratch. I am particularly interested in critiques about anatomy and shadowing and overall technique.
Eeep and the wolf are on different layers, so the respective sizes can be adjusted independently.
Though if you have ideas that would make it another picture entirely, I will gladly keep them in mind for later.
(for example, the idea of a physical contact with the wolf. I think it could be a good idea, but the wolf should have another pose entirely for the picture being efficient, so it is a good idea for another picture but I can't take it into account for current work).

Back in 1 month, may you have fun and a happy year end.

Regards.
Attachments
Current state
Current state
Last edited by GangrN on December 30th, 2010, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

GangrN
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

boru wrote: For now, I'll crop the wolf's legs in the small portrait, and we can update it at a later time if necessary.
Maybe, though characters usually don't display their legs in wesnoth and this comes with a reason: it is meant to look more vivid, less artificial when the feet are out of sight. Or so they say at school. :wink: :eng:
Regards,

GangrN
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Stern wrote:I really like the wolf portrait, you did a marvelous job on it GangrN!
In the first sketch, Eep does not look very happy with his arms crossed and head downturned. He looks quite forlorn in this manner. To me, this does not quite match the idea of an adventurous goblin who goes out and makes friends with large scary wolves.[...]
there are probably as many impressions of eeep as there are people.
to me it looked like eeep was somewhat resigned from the goblin society preferring the company of wolves to other goblins.
already in the first introduction of eeep it was said 'i told you, stop feeding those wolves', which seems to hint that eeep was considered to be slightly weird.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
boru

Post by boru »

GangrN wrote:(for example, the idea of a physical contact with the wolf. I think it could be a good idea, but the wolf should have another pose entirely for the picture being efficient, so it is a good idea for another picture but I can't take it into account for current work).
I already see a connection between him and his wolf, because of his pose. Physical contact is not necessary to convey this. If you decide to draw a second portrait of Eeep, I'd like one of him on the back of his wolf.
Overall, I like how this portrait is developing. The position of his left hand conveys a dynamism that is slightly weird, and in character. I think it keeps him from looking like an old man. But I'm not sure about those forehead wrinkles, and he might have at least a tuft or two of hair on his head.
His upper arm needs more muscle. He's an impaler and he throws wooden javelins so he's got some muscle.
Since you mention tatoos, you may want to give him animal tattoos. Also, he could have a scar or two from spending so much time with wolves.
Some primitive jewelry and/or a knife would be fine if you can work them in. If you decide not to, that is fine too.
GangrN wrote:Back in 1 month, may you have fun and a happy year end.
Likewise! :wink:

GangrN

Post by GangrN »

Hello there

Eeep with tattoos

As usual 2 versions. Considered as final tonight, though I may change my mind if I see it tomorrow ;)
Gobwolf FINAL by night.png
Gobwolf FINAL by day.png
Rez 600x600
Regards,

GangrN