Aragwaith art thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Gwynnedrion

Re: Aragwaith sprites updated!

Post by Gwynnedrion »

pauxlo wrote:So, looks like there are two Aragwaith factions out there, one on Irdya (post Wesnoth: IftU/ANO), one on Orbivm (Feudal Era). They can share properties (stats), sprites and some of the descriptions, but can not share history, if we don't want to introduce interstellar travel (maybe by magic).

So, they would have different histories in Orbivm and Irdya.
Hmm, this isn't a problem at all. You mean they are a paradoxial faction? Or the Aragwaithi In Irdya are the great-great-great-and-son-on grandchildren of those of Orbvim? I could write either a paradoxal history or a followup.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Orbivm and Irdya are distinct, separate worlds. The two sets of Aragwaithi cannot be the same, or have the same origins. They could be similar, but not the same.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I had no idea that they were already part of Orbivm when I added them to my campaign. They might deserve a rename at some point, although I kind of regret throwing them into the mix nowadays. :|
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

shadowmaster wrote:I had no idea that they were already part of Orbivm when I added them to my campaign. They might deserve a rename at some point, although I kind of regret throwing them into the mix nowadays. :|
:augh:
I'm actual pleased with every campaign developer who uses them.

Finished despite my threads the number of frames have doubled. For anyone who wonders that I included 3 extra frames for the sprite. I forgot that the sprite actual hasn't a blade attack. :annoyed:
Still I'm quite pleased how they came out.

Next will be the Scout.

This time I will definitly cut the frames and use the mainline ones. I can redraw most humanoid frames but horses are just overkill for me. On the plus site they will be finished much faster.
Attachments
spearman.zip
(89.82 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Liryan

Post by Liryan »

i must say the scout is the only unit i don't really like much until now: it feels wrong, maybe for the head seeming bigger than the rest of the body
i think you used part of the eagle, but imo it doesn't fit well, although i'm quite a perfectionist, ignore me :roll:
but anyway i never use them...eagles are way better for that in serious maps
the important ones are very good though
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Liryan wrote:i must say the scout is the only unit i don't really like much until now: it feels wrong, maybe for the head seeming bigger than the rest of the body
i think you used part of the eagle, but imo it doesn't fit well, although i'm quite a perfectionist, ignore me :roll:
No you are actual completly right. I actual hoped that some more would scream bloody murder. :|

I hope at least this new images encourgage you to use them more.

ImageImage

Since the number of frames are now reduced drastical I added a female variation. Why? Because they are rare and I want to spice up the faction a bit.
Attachments
scout.zip
(37.62 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

NB, and I know this comes at the wrong time, the horse sizes in mainline have been dramatically increased. You'd be very well advised to use the new ones, it'll give you a lot more space to fit stuff in.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

:augh:

I used the 1.8.3 ones. Please don't tell me they changed in the trunk...

Either way I'll roll with it for now and use the newer ones for the lvl 2s. (Transmitting it to the lvl 1s later)
Perhabs their was something in the straw those horses grow damned fast. :whistle:

Still before I forget it again. I want to thank LightFighter for his effords. Greatly appreaciated.

-Ghost Fields
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 13#p367013 not actually in trunk yet IIRC - awaiting anims, particularly because horses look stupid if they attack in any direction other than se without them.
Liryan

Post by Liryan »

i'm impressed, now these are some real horses!
still, i have yet to find something that beats your level 3 archer/glavier :wink:
i'm also trying to balance and possibly make this faction more interesting while you work, anyway...still waiting for vodoo to come back to work at the BEEM
IPS

Post by IPS »

wayfarer wrote:
Liryan wrote:i must say the scout is the only unit i don't really like much until now: it feels wrong, maybe for the head seeming bigger than the rest of the body
No you are actual completly right. I actual hoped that some more would scream bloody murder. :|

I hope at least this new images encourgage you to use them more.

ImageImage

Since the number of frames are now reduced drastical I added a female variation. Why? Because they are rare and I want to spice up the faction a bit.

Those scouts likes awesome. The hood likes cool and at simple eye you can observe the unit dont have any ressistance. The Idea of the hood is simply awesome :D

And it likes much better with a female version, does likes more realist :)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Thanks. :)

I will and must revisit them when the dust settles with the new horses.

@Liryan
Well Ihaven't revisitet one lvl3 unit yet. ;)

Next will be this.

The wizzard. No male variation this time. Advancements are not overworked yet, but they will go down this road and will unlikely change much.

The left ones are the new ones. They took me some work, though I don't want them to look too simliar to the existing mages neither to the shamans and made them more consistent to the rest of the aragwaithi same color scheme etc.

Animations will be more tricky this time. On this one the hair color is up to the users now I'm indifferent about both. :hmm:
Still a long way to go I don't think that they are there yet.

-Ghost Fields
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

wayfarer wrote:Next will be this.

The wizzard. No male variation this time.
Do you thing the aragwaith requires male wizards? I think it makes sense to make this ability available for female only.
wayfarer wrote:The left ones are the new ones. They took me some work, though I don't want them to look too simliar to the existing mages neither to the shamans and made them more consistent to the rest of the aragwaithi same color scheme etc.
I think the all four women are beautiful. The right ones are perfect! But I think that the left ones look too childish and they IMHO do not fit with the aragwaith natural.
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
johndh

Post by johndh »

The ones on the right look great, but the perspective on the left ones bothers me. It's like one side of her body is getting sucked into a black hole. I think evening out her shoulders and/or feet would help with this.

As for hair colors, can you do variations? Is that possible in WML to make the unit sometimes use the straw-haired sprite and sometimes the charcoal-haired one? I like them both.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

johndh wrote:Is that possible in WML to make the unit sometimes use the straw-haired sprite and sometimes the charcoal-haired one? I like them both.
Not yet, at least not in a reasonably elegant manner. Jetrel and I have been planning to implement a better mechanism for randomizing such stuff as hair colors, and he's redesigning certain sprites to make them easier to recolor using this system on run-time.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.