Aragwaith art thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Post Reply
User avatar
wayfarer
Art Contributor
Posts: 933
Joined: June 16th, 2005, 7:07 pm
Location: Following the Steps of Goethe
Contact:

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by wayfarer »

So finished the animations. Quick and dirty.
So next on the plate is the Riders at least some placeholders until the new horses are ready and the hawk lvl 1 and two I've worked on him for while but nothing substantiel. than all up to lvl 2 will be finished.

So sorry for the delay. About the hair color. Nothing is final yet and it is rather trivial to change it back and forth. My intention for all the higher lvl units was that they look battle worn, in a portrait the would be scared with drawn faces.
With sprites it is a bit more difficult not much face to work with. White or gray hair has a kind of symbolism, something I wanted to try out.
I'll try and see how it works out when the whole stuff is cleaned up.

@Liryan
Well it is one unit that is rare enough so one unit as a whole can stand out a little bit. The lvl3's will be even more outstanding.
Attachments
Ls_1.zip
(98.33 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
User avatar
bumbadadabum
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1005
Joined: March 20th, 2008, 5:54 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by bumbadadabum »

Maybe insert the hooded one as an idle animation, the normal one looks mush better in-game.
User avatar
wayfarer
Art Contributor
Posts: 933
Joined: June 16th, 2005, 7:07 pm
Location: Following the Steps of Goethe
Contact:

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by wayfarer »

Yep, but that will come later.

Image

Small touch up and rework of the eagle, Might need some further tweaks but overall this wil be the direction.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
User avatar
bumbadadabum
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1005
Joined: March 20th, 2008, 5:54 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by bumbadadabum »

wayfarer wrote:Yep, but that will come later.

Image

Small touch up and rework of the eagle, Might need some further tweaks but overall this wil be the direction.
Actually, I think the lv.1 looks fine as it is now, but it might need another attack frame for the prey crush attack. Well, I'm not the one to judge. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Vendanna
Posts: 624
Joined: September 16th, 2006, 10:07 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by Vendanna »

The eagle is looking nice :mrgreen:

Would you have the eagle like with the gryphon and stay as a standalone unit without rider? (in case someone decide that could be added to mainline along the other monsters creatures which is one of the things default can have more of)

Also it would be nice if at the end you can put a image with each upgraded unit and its old version down for comparisons (and see the effect better) :)

Cheers and happy week!
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
User avatar
wayfarer
Art Contributor
Posts: 933
Joined: June 16th, 2005, 7:07 pm
Location: Following the Steps of Goethe
Contact:

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by wayfarer »

Well the old one wasn't bad at all but it had some perspective issues In my mind though the fact that it was based too much on the gryphoon. Plus something was lacking in my mind.

I think I'm almost there the riders will need some smaller changes and the older eagle will get some white feather peaks to get more volume. At teh moment he is still a bit small I think.

ImageImage
As wished in comparison the old one.
Image

Well for the eagle stand alone if someone needs it the rider is in a separate layer. But for now I won't but much the efford into it.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
User avatar
bumbadadabum
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1005
Joined: March 20th, 2008, 5:54 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by bumbadadabum »

wayfarer wrote:Well the old one wasn't bad at all but it had some perspective issues In my mind though the fact that it was based too much on the gryphoon. Plus something was lacking in my mind.

I think I'm almost there the riders will need some smaller changes and the older eagle will get some white feather peaks to get more volume. At teh moment he is still a bit small I think.

ImageImage
As wished in comparison the old one.
Image

Well for the eagle stand alone if someone needs it the rider is in a separate layer. But for now I won't but much the efford into it.
Remove the armour on the lv.1, IMO it should be something for the lv.2 only.
User avatar
wayfarer
Art Contributor
Posts: 933
Joined: June 16th, 2005, 7:07 pm
Location: Following the Steps of Goethe
Contact:

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by wayfarer »

Th first line is the rider and the master, work yin progress as you might say. :P

On the other sinde can someone explain me what prey crush should mean?
The flying animation works well enough as a attack animation but at the moment I don't know what this stuff should display.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
User avatar
Vendanna
Posts: 624
Joined: September 16th, 2006, 10:07 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by Vendanna »

wayfarer wrote:On the other sinde can someone explain me what prey crush should mean?
The flying animation works well enough as a attack animation but at the moment I don't know what this stuff should display.
Not really sure since I didn't "devised" the units, but counting that the creature looks akin to the famous Roc, I think it means that it "catch the prey(unit) go up high and then drop it so it smashes on the ground"

Basically, anything that can break the bones of the target unit (prey) and that include taking big rocks and dropping on the target (Not sure if the rocs could do that on simbad stories).

And that's all that could come to mind in a few minutes of thinking :whistle:
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
User avatar
bumbadadabum
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1005
Joined: March 20th, 2008, 5:54 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by bumbadadabum »

Vendanna wrote:
wayfarer wrote:On the other sinde can someone explain me what prey crush should mean?
The flying animation works well enough as a attack animation but at the moment I don't know what this stuff should display.
Not really sure since I didn't "devised" the units, but counting that the creature looks akin to the famous Roc, I think it means that it "catch the prey(unit) go up high and then drop it so it smashes on the ground"

Basically, anything that can break the bones of the target unit (prey) and that include taking big rocks and dropping on the target (Not sure if the rocs could do that on simbad stories).

And that's all that could come to mind in a few minutes of thinking :whistle:
Just make a frame with him holding a rock. That'll work just fine.
User avatar
SouthernOracle
Posts: 82
Joined: August 9th, 2008, 6:02 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by SouthernOracle »

Prey Crush should be pretty simple - the eagle catches "prey" in its talons and squeezes the life out of them. Effectively crushed. By the way, Wayfarer, this line of units is by far my favorite for Wesnoth. I was pleased to see them go mainline in IFTU. The renovations look fantastic, you are very skillful.
User avatar
Captain_Wrathbow
Posts: 1664
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 2:03 pm
Location: Guardia

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

SouthernOracle wrote:I was pleased to see them go mainline in IFTU.
Aragwaith aren't mainline... neither is IftU.
User avatar
bigkahuna
Posts: 657
Joined: September 11th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Location: In your mind.

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by bigkahuna »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Aragwaith aren't mainline... neither is IftU.
IIRC, IftU is on the Ipad/Iphone/one of those ported versions.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
User avatar
wayfarer
Art Contributor
Posts: 933
Joined: June 16th, 2005, 7:07 pm
Location: Following the Steps of Goethe
Contact:

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by wayfarer »

Imageand the master, and ye ahhair color is well ignore it for now until I finally make my mind out about it. :roll:
Image if no one speaks up I think I can animate this fellow as the advancement of the rider.

For now both just holds a rock in their claws for the prey crush.

@SouthernOracle a thanks but I still have a long way to go to touch all of them up before anything could be called ready. :P
Attachments
Rider.zip
(107.21 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
User avatar
bumbadadabum
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1005
Joined: March 20th, 2008, 5:54 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Aragwaith art thread

Post by bumbadadabum »

wayfarer wrote:Imageand the master, and ye ahhair color is well ignore it for now until I finally make my mind out about it. :roll:
Image if no one speaks up I think I can animate this fellow as the advancement of the rider.

For now both just holds a rock in their claws for the prey crush.

@SouthernOracle a thanks but I still have a long way to go to touch all of them up before anything could be called ready. :P
Something seems off with the placement of the armour on the master, it doesn't look like it fits.
Post Reply