Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dixie

Dixie's Internet Meme Era Art Thread

Post by Dixie »

Hey there people!

This thread is intended to go alongside the one about the era I am currently working on, Internet Meme Era, which is basically Pirates vs Ninjas vs Cowboys vs Robots.

Main Thread
Unit trees (reflects the spriting advancement)

Feel free to contribute anything, and thanks to those who participate right now and have participated in the past!
Last edited by Dixie on October 3rd, 2010, 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
SFault

Re: Dixie's Internet Meme Era Newbie Francken Art

Post by SFault »

Very nice frankensteins. Rappa could need some more to be better distinguished being on higher level. Perhaps all of them could have some advancement on the head gear also.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

There, I corrected something about Koran's left arm, added stuff to the head and made Rappa a bit taller. I think it's not too bad.
Attachments
Kusa-tree.png
Kusa-tree.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'm not sure you're putting the heads far enough forward, tbh - they look like they stick out behind the shoulders. Otherwise, they look reasonable to me.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well I've put the Koran's head a bit more forward. The other two looked ok to me though.

Also, I've worked a bit on the Teisatsu-Monomi-Kancho, but I don't like them. They're too much like some mainline units I won't name here (I'll let you guess which).
Attachments
Teisatsu-tree.png
Teisatsu-tree.png (12.24 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
Kusa-tree.png
Kusa-tree.png (10.43 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

I personally think there's a point where a unit has TOO MUCH Team Color, and I think your Rappa and Koran are kind of toeing that line.
Qazerowl

Post by Qazerowl »

I think the idea is that the ninjas are showing what "clan" there're in, or something...
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Qazerowl wrote:I think the idea is that the ninjas are showing what "clan" there're in, or something...
-slightly off-topic here, but isn't the point of eeing a ninja that you're unseen? I mean you wouldn't exactly go around with a large brightly coloured insignia advertising that you're a ninja and which clan you belong to and what your rank is and who your master is, that kind of defeats the point.

-but with regards to the images, agree on the heads thing and the TC thing, but otherwise they're great.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Wow, it's been a while there's been no activity in this thread!

So basically the team colour was wrong any, so the sprite are kinda worthless. I'll have to redo them. Agreed, the last one's got too much TC.

About the ninjas being sneaky and not flashy: I've got like 10-15 ninja units in the faction, they can't all be masked, black-clad sprites. And that unit line was supposed to be the most flashy (magic using) according to its description... Anyway, I'll have to get back on that sometime.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, I felt like spriting a bit and worked on a new sprite for the ninjas, the Shinobi. I'm moderately satisfied with it (in fact, I can't say I'm really satisfied, but this is hard on me...) Anyway, here is:
shinobi1.png
shinobi1.png (5.87 KiB) Viewed 5420 times
BTW, screw the previous sprites, I didn't like 'em.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Here, I tried my hand at another sprite tonight, another version of the shinobi. I worked more on an interesting pause (took the time to hand-draw it first). I'd like some criticism, as this one is almost entirely made from scratch. I find it hard to work so small, but I think it's not that bad. I actually like this one better than any of the previous. What bothers me the most is:
1) His hair. It was supposed to be blond, tied in some kind of pony tail, but it fails strangely, imo.
2) His left arm (the one pointing strainght). It's maybe hard to tell what up exactly with his hand: he's supposed to be holding a Sai (you know, those weapons Raphaello, the ninja turtle, used).
Attachments
shinobi2.png
shinobi2.png (6.05 KiB) Viewed 5357 times
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

AHHHHHHHHHH! NO! NOT THE PILLOW! NOT NOW!
sigh*
DO NOT fall into the pillow trap! Lighting comes from top left, NOT front.
So sorry, but that puts lighting on the ultimate down low.
Apart from that, stance is alright, the right arm is longer than the left, weapons need to be a bit more defined.
Apart from that, good job, especially from scratch.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hmm... Pillow shading, huh? You really feel like the like is coming from the viewer (us)? I tried to make it come from the upper right corner, but if it's supposed to be upper left, I can try to fix that.

Also, agreed for the right arm and the weapons. And maybe the hair is not so bad, if I just add bangs or something. WIll have an update tomorrow :)
continuousmotion

Post by continuousmotion »

With regards to the hair, moving the headband up a a bit might help, with the bangs of course. For some reason, the arm looks a little rubbery to me, but I'm probably wrong on that. the sai's blade should maybe be moved to the right a bit and so to show the place where the 3 sharp points connect, and both blades could use some outlining in my opinion.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Dixie wrote:Hmm... Pillow shading, huh? You really feel like the like is coming from the viewer (us)? I tried to make it come from the upper right corner, but if it's supposed to be upper left, I can try to fix that.

Also, agreed for the right arm and the weapons. And maybe the hair is not so bad, if I just add bangs or something. WIll have an update tomorrow :)
Pillow shaded no doubt about it. Put the highlights on the edge instead of cramming 2 or 3 more shades in beside it.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!