Re: WTactics: Original-art-give-back

Post by woodmouse »

Yay, lesbian elves. :D

You're an awesome guy, Eyerouge.
Check out my sprites!
em3

Post by em3 »

For the record: The card does not specify where the "another target ally" should be chosen from. Unless "target" by default means "in your deck".

I think that instead of "Target X in your deck ..." you should use more elaborate statement like in MtG and other games:
"Search your deck for X of your choice and ...".
I know it's longer, but "target" usually refers to cards that are in play, not in hand/deck/graveyard/...

EDIT: Also, I didn't really read the rules, but does taking a "target" card from your deck imply shuffling the deck afterwards?
ride on shooting star
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

@Atz:
Yups. I figured what you wrote is a possible way of understanding it. That's why I wrote the spoiler. I'm very aware of the problem. That said, I don't believe that the hetero fantasy should dictate the lives and looks of lesbians. ;)

The fact that the hetero man has an imagination / sexual fantasy about being with "pretty lesbians" shouldn't lead us to the conclusion that society should/could only depict "ugly lesbians" or that lesbians should somehow modify their appearence in order to not happen to be the subject of the hetero males wicked desires. This would of course also depend on if the supposed lesbians were feminists and what kind of feminists:

One might take this a notch further and ask if having a flower in the hair is a problem or not, etc etc. I won't do that with WTactics as I imagine that world to have a fair amount of problems shared with our own. Keeping some gender markers and creating a game where everyone isn't queer is, for the sake of world recognizability of the common player, not something I deem problematic. (In contrast to only showing woman as weak, men as strong, whites as leaders, blacks as servants etc etc). I have written shortly about this in other words in this post.

@Card text discussion:
It says in the original post that discussing card text on work copies of cards isn't relevant as they will surely change and are just that - work copies. For that reason, I won't participate in that discussion, and wouldn't indulge anyone else to do so either.

If you happen to be a person that think that type of discussion is interesting and want to help me out with the wording of specific cards you would however be very welcome and needed to join the dev team of the game - contact me in such a case, and you'll soon get some nice tasks where your thoughts & work will matter plenty. The only thing I demand is that you have played a fair amount of CCG:s, so you are acquainted with how wording works/doesn't work.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Atz wrote:It's less then or equal to three. It is a fairly standard notation used in several programming languages...
If your goal is to have these be read by humans, though, "≤" might be a better symbol to use. Believe it or not, not every gameplayer is a fluent programmer (and I say this as a fluent programmer).
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Can we keep the non art discussion out of this thread please? Perhaps make an OT thread that links to the image y'all seem to be intent on discussing?
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

eyerouge's favorite scene in [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095497/quotes]the one about the cult leader[/url] wrote: So take your bread and give it to the poor.
What difference does it matter what you own?
You have gold and silver?
It's going to rot, and that rot is going to eat away your heart!

I'm here to tear down everything around you
And you know what I'm going to replace it with?
Something new...
wt_take_from_the_rich_card.png
wt_take_from_the_rich_card.png (193.29 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
bag.png
bag.png (218.62 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

wt_card_unshackled.png
wt_card_unshackled.png (186.69 KiB) Viewed 4978 times
wt_shackles.png
wt_shackles.png (185.58 KiB) Viewed 4978 times
MaXMC

Post by MaXMC »

eyerouge wrote:
wt_by_love.png
I think the image looks great, but the cloth/clothes they are wearing seems to merge, how about changing the brightness/color for one of them so the clothes do not seem to merge.
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

wt_card_erode.png
wt_card_erode.png (215.43 KiB) Viewed 4844 times
wt_erode.png
wt_erode.png (141.66 KiB) Viewed 4844 times
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

How are you supposed to get the shackles on or off if they're so tight?
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Frogger5 wrote:How are you supposed to get the shackles on or off if they're so tight?
Thanks for the constructive post. I wrote a long answer and it disappeared. This is a shortened down version of it:

Three answers
1. Maybe they're not that "tight" at the other angles which are not visible to us right now. (I.e. as seen here.)

2. Maybe they're magical, and whenever somebody says "this-is-a-game-and-not-a-reality-simulator" they will open up/close if the voice pattern is the one of whoever crafted or hexed them.

3. Maybe half of each was put on once, and then the rest of it was assembled on place/while on hand, with no intention of ever having them removed.

Pick any of the above or think of new ways to explain it - only the sky is the limit.

The point
  • Could a lock-mechanism be added to the picture? Yes. Will it be done or changed now? No, not unless you or somebody else does it, as explained in the initial post.
  • Ask yourself how it would matter, to an average player, how the shackles are put there or taken off. What can you conclude from your answer?
  • How is this any different from the fact that it's "strange/unrealistic" that a single unit in BfW is as huge as a whole Village/City (or vice versa)? Clearly the scale is "off". And so is a million of other things in pretty much every game on earth if you start dissecting it for points of realism. But that's okey - games are, most of the time, simplified models and representations of real concepts. Their main objective is not to replace reality or account for it in it's finest details (unless of course we speak of sims).
  • In CCG:s the convention states that artwork has no impact on the rules. I.e. a flying creature does not have to have wings. A strawberry could be a weapon, and a donkey could be a president and depicted with wheels instead of legs - it would usually have zero impact on the rules.
  • As long as whatever we're trying to convey to the player with the art, if anything at all, is understood by the player the artwork fills it's strictly gameplay functional role.
  • Artworks main purpose in a CCG is to a) attract players with beautiful aesthetics and b) set the world, give the player a basic & rough understanding of how it looks like and in effect c) contribute to the atmosphere of the game, which artwork does way better than the beloved flavour-text that also found in most CCG:s.
  • None of the above are, from my perspective, affected much or at all by lack of realism in a game. (If indeed the shackles do lack realism. I find any of the three explanations given under the first paragraph as plausible and real in an unreal world where elves and magic roam the world..)
  • A problem could arise if we depicted an elephant but had a card that spoke of strawberries. A total mismatch between card's art and it's name, text and rules function will make it harder for the player to use that card.
  • Aside from making the game cool & setting the atmosphere cardart is used to make every card unique in order to make the game easier to play. More about that can be read on our site » "Iconic and symbolic card recognition".
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Didn't think of that, thankyou. :wink:
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

wt_card_caster.png
wt_card_caster.png (189.03 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
wt_aldriel.png
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Man, this stuff meshes with Kitty's mainline stuff scarily well.

...You don't have her doing the graphics over there, do you?
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Zerovirus wrote:Man, this stuff meshes with Kitty's mainline stuff scarily well.

...You don't have her doing the graphics over there, do you?
Kitty has kindly offered to help out when she gets a chance, but this exact piece and others posted before it are not by her magic hands. :P If she finds time and contributes with new art to WT I'll be sure to announce it in this thread when posting it.

Style consistency with BfW has been an issue this far but hasn't really been a primary goal for my project (although it's on the list of secondary goals). I do however think that it will probably become somewhat better in future works, something in line with the latest piece, for the benefit of the BfW-scene. :)

I also happily share the properly layered PS-file for this one if anyone would need to spliff it up a notch, as there are of course a zillion things that could be improved: I'm aware of that even though I seldom take time to give reply to such posts in this thread, due to the intro-text in the first post & circumstances being what they are.