Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: artisticdude's art, wugger the mugger has a club

Post by thespaceinvader »

The little wee mugger guy is really well done.

It's pleasing to see you progressing like this =)

Golden rod is good but looks a little flat - you need some darker colours in your shading. He's also kinda dinky compared to mainline, which makes fitting in enough detail difficult.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Thanks. :) I feel like I'm making progress. I find it amazing how only four or five months ago, I had no idea whatsoever about pixel art. I mean, literally, I'd never attempted it before. And now I'm doing it for fun.

I guess I should have used a size reference for that golden rod dude. I thought I knew the proportions of Wesnoth sprites by memory... I shouldn't have made that assumption, eh? This is a practice in drawing cloth, which I've always had trouble with before, so I'm trying to concentrate on the texture and lighting of the clothing.
I'll make him bigger and shade him better...
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

thespaceinvader wrote:Golden rod is good but looks a little flat - you need some darker colours in your shading. He's also kinda dinky compared to mainline, which makes fitting in enough detail difficult.
I agree Space Invader..... He is much smaller than mainline humans. He almost looks like an underweight, magi-dwarf. The shading needs more detail but can easily be fixed if you change the purple to a more pink/bluish color. Resize him, make sure you can really see his face and that should make him look a great bit better.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I haven't finished the revision of the wizard-thingee, but I was inspired by something Gambit posted in his art thread, and I just had to make this:

EDIT: And I couldn't resist spriting another one. Thorny vines are fun to sprite. :P

ANOTHER EDIT: I really should work on that mage sometime soon...
Attachments
shhepsking clothing with a frankened head.png
shhepsking clothing with a frankened head.png (4.41 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
another vine.png
another vine.png (3.51 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
thorny vine.png
thorny vine.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: artisticdude's art, thorny vines and undersized mages

Post by artisticdude »

Another double post, but I'd already edited my first post twice...

I've been practicing spriting more armored guys (I have something with armored guys, in case you haven't noticed by now :P ), and I came up with this. I'll probably change his weapon, since I can't seem to foreshorten the axe blades to save me. :(
Attachments
new armored guy....png
new armored guy....png (4.52 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

artisticdude wrote:Another double post, but I'd already edited my first post twice...

I've been practicing spriting more armored guys (I have something with armored guys, in case you haven't noticed by now :P ), and I came up with this. I'll probably change his weapon, since I can't seem to foreshorten the axe blades to save me. :(
I think that the problem with the Axe's blades is the shading: I think that the outer side (IE the actually sharp part) should be darker then the inside.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

sur.nhm wrote:I think that the outer side (IE the actually sharp part) should be darker then the inside.
Sorry to disagree, but, look at all the mainline axe attack icons.
axe.png
axe.png (5 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
sur.nhm wrote:I think that the problem with the Axe's blades is the shading:
Now that, I do agree with. :wink: The axe, at the moment looks a bit too much like a hammer. (Unless, that is, it is a hammer).

BTW, Love the shield!
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

sur.nhm wrote:I think that the problem with the Axe's blades is the shading: I think that the outer side (IE the actually sharp part) should be darker then the inside.
No, I don't think it's that. If you look at the mainline units, many (most?) of them have the edge lighter than the flat of the blade. All the axe-wielding dwarves, for instance. Er, and all the attack icons, as has just been pointed out.

Anyway, I see two problems. The first is that the front blade doesn't obscure any of the shaft, which makes it look likes it's pointing out sideways instead of forward, if you know what I mean. I'd say moving it to the left a pixel should do it. You could also consider making the shaft a little wider, since that would give you more room to show the blade being in front of it, and it looks thinner that most mainline shafts at the moment. The second issue I can see is that the rear of the blade looks to be the same size as the front. It should be smaller - not just because it's further away, but because it should be partially obscured because it's behind the shaft, in the same way the other blade needs to be in front.

The axe blades themselves also seem a little odd to me, since they're very angular whereas most axes are curved. Not sure if that's a problem, as such, but it might be easier to identify if you made the edge curved.

EDIT: Actually, after taking another look, I also think the shaft is a bit long. It's almost long enough to be held like a poleaxe, but he's holding one-handed very close to the end of the shaft.
Telaron wrote:The axe, at the moment looks a bit too much like a hammer. (Unless, that is, it is a hammer).
I think it looks rather hammer-like at the moment, also.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Lookie here! An edit! Look axish? (maybe not?)
Attachments
Him.png
Him.png (4.63 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

It's, erm, rather clear what the problem with the axe is. Hint: It starts with "p" and ends with "illow shading".
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

:| I don't think I fulfilled the description of pillow shading when I shaded the axe... I used opposite gradients.

Anyway, that weapon just isn't working, so I forged a sword for him, added some TC, and fixed some issues with his left foot.
Attachments
swordsman_variation.png
swordsman_variation.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Well, I mean, it isn't textbook pillowing, but the idea is that you need to use significantly fewer linear gradients. Take another look at the mainline axe icon.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

I'm not convinced the shading is the problem... I just gave it a quick edit to check, and I don't think it came out too badly. Note that I haven't altered the shading beyond what was necessary to make the blade curved.

Also, looking at the axes of the mainline dwarves, they have fairly similar shading. There's a bit more contrast between the edge (which is very bright) and the flat, and some of them are broken up a little more rather than being smooth, but I don't think it's that much of a difference.

That said, the sword is good, so go ahead and stick with that unless you want to practice your axes.
Attachments
new armored guy_redux.png
new armored guy_redux.png (4.68 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

The sword looks great, I really can't see any problems. Aside from that there's not much else to say, aside from the fact that part of the crest (I think that's what you'd call that) is off-center. The little chevron in the bottom would seem to be a pixel to the (our) left. I also can't really tell what that gold bit is supposed to be, but that's probably just my untrained eye, not anything you did.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I kinda like that axe, Atz. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than I was doing. Well, here's a tweaked version with a plume thrown in. Should I keep the plume or is it too over the top?
Attachments
new armored guy... copy.png
new armored guy... copy.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 2898 times