Insane Hermit (Artwork Thread)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Insane Hermit (Artwork Thread)

Post by EvilEarl »

EDIT:This is now the official art thread for the campaign, Insane Hermit. The campaign is mostly complete (only need to do the epilogue and a final round of bug fixes and balancing) and is currently on the add-on server.

The posts between my first and second posts were just from something when I didn't understand the art procedure well. The request I had put on this post is now removed and I will probably only need art help with a few things like portraits and animations when I decide to work on them.

I will add art up here when I need to improve/make it but can't get it right. I would prefer that the thread remains generally unused but unlocked when there is nothing up to work on.
Last edited by EvilEarl on July 18th, 2009, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Insane Hermit (Artrwork Thread)

Post by thespaceinvader »

http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

As TSI noted, very few people on going to do your artwork for you unless it happens to be in a campaign or add-on that they like enough to devote effort to, or that they feel your idea is going somewhere. Your best bet is to stick with the modified sprites that you have for now, and then try to update them later after your add-on is complete.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

Okay, I'll postpone art work until I get my campaign up and playable.

No more posts until I indicate that I'm ready for better artwork.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

This problem keeps nagging me and I can't work it out. It just keeps bothering me how my sprites for most of my magic spawn are good due to the colorize feature, but I found that I couldn't figure out how to do that for my nature warrior sprite.
an embarrassing excuse for art isn't it?
an embarrassing excuse for art isn't it?
naturewarrior.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
This attempt lacks shading and looks downright crappy compared to some of the unit sprites of that type including this . .
icewarrior.png
icewarrior.png (2.16 KiB) Viewed 5010 times
and the original I modified these from . . .
from the elemental units of the Era of Myths
from the elemental units of the Era of Myths
flamewarrior.png (1.19 KiB) Viewed 5010 times
I have tried to add shading to the nature warrior sprite but my work ends up looking bad or even worse than before. I would think that a strategy like separating the two types of parts and then colorizing accordingly would work but I can't figure out how to do it (the help document for my image editor is unhelpful). I would really appreciate any pointers on how to fix this or any improved versions of this sprite. And please don't take this as being lazy as I have done a lot of work for my sprites and this is only one of the few roadblocks in my quest for good art on my campaign.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
iserp

Post by iserp »

I just took a look and tried a little into the nature warrior. Do you like it like this? A bit dark, perhaps
Attachments
wnaturaleza.png
wnaturaleza.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

I find them quite cool, but the ice warrior seems like energy warrior to me. It does not give the impression of ice, first for the colour and second for the flames.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
Ryorin

Re: Insane Hermit (Artwork Thread)

Post by Ryorin »

That's the same thing I noticed about the nature one, the green fire doesn't really imply nature to me. It implies radioactive fire (If that's even possible), or maybe the Predator's blood...

I would recommend using vines instead of fire. Maybe I will work out a prototype when I get home from work.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I tried to make the Ice Warrior more Icy. Hope this helps. (Also hope this isn't hijacking)

Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Not bad, but he seems too saturated to me, maybe tone down the blue a little bit.

Also it is hijacking technically, but it's all good.(So long as it's for a good cause, and you don't hijack it for extended lengths of time or do it continuously.)

Please Forum Sith (Or is that Siths? Sithes? Sithi?) correct me if I'm wrong :) .
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

It's fine as you are attempting to help the user with art, but if he asks you to stop and you continually posted in such a manner, that is hijacking.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem better to me. I think it should have more pale tones, near white. I recommend you to look at ice statues examples, both real and fictional, to get a better idea. The real example is unachievable, as all you see are deformations of the bakcground, but it gives you an idea that they won't be so blue. Even when they have the sky background their blue won't be so electrical.

So, my advice, which is not the one of an artist, is: use white, and blue, but in lower tones. For example:
Spoiler:
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Meh. It was like only 10 minutes of MS Paint, and I didn't bother really editing the original pallete from the Energy-Ice warrior guy that much. If someone wants they can recolor it. I was just trying to add a more ice-like shape to his underlayer, below the rock pieces.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Distortion wouldn't work, but transparency might not be bad.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Thank you, Iserp. I like the shaded nature warrior sprite and I will use it gladly. I will add you to the credits to make sure problems don't arise. And to clear up on the nature warrior, the brown is wood and the green is leaves, vines, etc.

And on the issue with the ice warrior, the more complex description I have planned clarifies that it is made of two different kinds of ice the the flame ones are just pointy. I will not be adding individuality shape-wise to each element at this point in the story. But thank you for your input.

I will be working on other stuff with the campaign for a while, but I will deal with more art issues later.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit