My Wose

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
mnewton1

My Wose

Post by mnewton1 »

Here it is, I had no real point for making it I just felt like I would try.
This is my wose with a really big club
This is my wose with a really big club
Wose-Basher.png (8.05 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
So what do you think?

Edit: Taking a second look at it I noticed I need to add a shadow for the club :lol2:
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: My Wose

Post by thespaceinvader »

You've cut the top off him. And a wose wielding a wooden club seems somehow...cannibalistic. But those minor issues aside, the quality of the work seems good =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Thespaceinvader beat me to it, I was going to point out a wose wielding a wooden club is a bit morbid on their parts.

"Hey guys, Lenny fell the other day, I have dibs on that big top branch of his!"

Aside from that, possibly move the club away from the body of the wose? It matches the wood colors of the wose itself so well that it is not easily identifiable how the wose is holding the club, or even what he is holding at first glance.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Thespaceinvader beat me to it, I was going to point out a wose wielding a wooden club is a bit morbid on their parts.

"Hey guys, Lenny fell the other day, I have dibs on that big top branch of his!"
Or it could be some wose tribe habit, honoring the corpses of there dead with the sound they make over enemies head...

"-Bonk.
-Hurray."

Well, as pointed already, the tile must stand in the devoted 72 by 72 pix square...
the rest seems nice, good luck =)
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
JW

Post by JW »

Why did you use the same style of shading for the club as the Wose? It looks like he has a giant mutated arm. I doubt a club would have bark. :hmm:
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

JW wrote:Why did you use the same style of shading for the club as the Wose? It looks like he has a giant mutated arm. I doubt a club would have bark. :hmm:
option c) use this to make the club less morbid. A few tweeks shift it from an separate object held to a giant arm... mutated (or simply developed) to the point of being exceptionally good for bashing things. ymmv.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

He should be carrying a huge bone instead. :P
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:He should be carrying a huge bone instead. :P
Or to show his hatred for the undead, maybe just a whole skeleton archer. ;)
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Turuk wrote:
Or to show his hatred for the undead, maybe just a whole skeleton archer. ;)
Which would be quiet impossible to carry in one whole piece, due to the fact that if the necromancy disappears the cohesion of the bones would cease immediately. ;)
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

then the skeleton archer could move on idle animations... ;)
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

You want to abuse LIVING undead beings as weapons? This is disgusting! Where is the Undead Rights Protection Society? None there? Then I'll found it right now! ;)

The President of URPS

/edit: Done.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Thanks for all the replys I will see what i can do about the club and I like Cernunnos's idea
Cernunnos wrote:
Or it could be some wose tribe habit, honoring the corpses of there dead with the sound they make over enemies head...

"-Bonk.
-Hurray."

Well, as pointed already, the tile must stand in the devoted 72 by 72 pix square...
the rest seems nice, good luck =)
I will move the club and the body around an little and see if a bone fits better. But it will have the be a skeleten dragon bone, no others are as big :lol2:

Edit: Ok here it is.
Wose-Basher2.png
Wose-Basher2.png (8.41 KiB) Viewed 3551 times
Wose-Basher3.png
Wose-Basher3.png (8.41 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
Wose-Basher4.png
Wose-Basher4.png (8.43 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
What do you think, I still need to add the shadow but I just want to make sure I got it right first
There is a small difference between the three.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I just got an awesome idea: Evil Woses! :twisted: They would use bone and wooden weapons... :twisted:
Check out my sprites!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Uh.... :roll:

The club does look a bit better now that it has been moved a little away from the tree, but movement is so slight that it still blends in with the Wose, especially at the bottom. What if you changed the color of the wood, or altered the shape of the club? To be honest, I cannot even see how his hand is gripping it as the hand and club blend into one.
JW

Post by JW »

JW wrote:Why did you use the same style of shading for the club as the Wose?
Turuk wrote:What if you changed the color of the wood
This really wood help.