Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: IftU Portraits | Update: Mal Keshar

Post by kitty »

next update... biggest question: can wesnothian undead skeletons have cheesy glowing eyes? pretty please!

doofus: thanks and the skull was a lot of fun to paint! and i lowered the collar on your suggestion.
boucman: straightened the femur.
girgistan: thanks and i put his hand up a bit on your suggestion (but i'm able to bend my hand like in the earlier version without any problems, but i think women have generally more flexible tendons)
turin: i didn't play DiD, only IftU... and there he is very powerfull but also pretty sarcastic. and about the hair; i was thinking of the hair mummies can have, but on the other hand those have still skin... thus i believe it's magic ;)
rex u: yes, that's the description, but i decided to skip the flesh part, to keep him family friendly
Attachments
mal keshar03.png
mal keshar03.png (174.41 KiB) Viewed 6762 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Indeed, in IftU he tends to be really annoying.
kitty wrote:girgistan: thanks and i put his hand up a bit on your suggestion (but i'm able to bend my hand like in the earlier version without any problems, but i think women have generally more flexible tendons)
IIRC this is true.
turin: i didn't play DiD, only IftU... and there he is very powerfull but also pretty sarcastic. and about the hair; i was thinking of the hair mummies can have, but on the other hand those have still skin... thus i believe it's magic ;)
He is afraid of baldness, after all this time. ;)

Um, I don't know what to say besides that I like him, er, his portrait. :/
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

kitty wrote:boucman: straightened the femur.
Haha, that's humerus :lol2:
Don't hurt me :augh:
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

I think he should have more skin....
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
kitty

Post by kitty »

small finalized version of mal keshar and a .zip with all iftu portraits up to now, i resized them all a bit so that they fit nicely together (shadow master - could you please replace the old ones with these?)

rocket slug: damn, i always mix the names up. i'll take the comlicated route next time and say upper-arm-bone... *goes in her corner and is ashamed*

trash man: nope - i already said it in my last post, no hanging flesh in order to keep his rating family friendly.
Attachments
Archiv.zip
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 367 times
mal keshar fin.png
mal keshar fin.png (211.92 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
mal keshar fin_kl.png
mal keshar fin_kl.png (55.51 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Commited in revision 3229. Thanks a lot! But I am afraid you won't be able to avoid fleshy stuff once you get to "Shadow Master". :D

For the WML followers: it will be usable in 1.5.7 now* that Mal Keshar, as Galas and other generic unit_type heroes, has a "WML proxy" unit. This proxy uses the portrait syntax that Mordante/SkeletonCrew implemented for unit_type, however that syntax is not definitive in mainline or anywhere, and may be invalidated at any time. Don't copy my stuff if you don't want to gain extra maintenance overhead.

I now have to code a "global WML event" (by embedding it into a commonly used scenario-level macro such as {MAP} (IftU-specific)) that replaces the Ancient Lich "Mal Keshar" with the proxy unit_type - but that will be a temporary solution and I hope to not have to release IftU before there's a definitive one.

*: (in wesnoth-umc-dev trunk, not in the 1.10.2 release or the patch distribution)
Last edited by Iris on January 9th, 2009, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarification
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
kitty

Post by kitty »

ledinor. bla.
Attachments
ledinor.png
ledinor.png (146.92 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Very good! The only thing that bothers me is the fact that the eyes are a bit pale, thus they blend in with the whites if I do not look at it hard enough.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks good, but the shading make it seem like there's a big ridge down the middle of his chest - perhaps the shirt should come in a little more at the top, which could retain the slightly pot-bellied impression.

And i think the lines for his hair and face could do with being darker.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

thespaceinvader wrote:Looks good, but the shading make it seem like there's a big ridge down the middle of his chest
Indeed.

I cannot help but imagine in my mind that a xenomorph will eventually rip his chest open and attack us. :( (note: link's not safe for work)
Last edited by Iris on January 29th, 2009, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Yes, I added the warning.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Shadow Master wrote:I cannot help but imagine in my mind that a xenomorph will eventually rip his chest open and attack us.
Blah, there goes snack time.

Kitty, I think what they notice with the ridge is that the eye wants to think that with his body slightly turned towards the viewer as it is, you expect the buttons to face in an outwards direction to the left instead of to the front. I know they are supposed to go to the front, but maybe if there was just a hint of cloth on the other side of them to make the viewer realize it curves back down much more gradually and is not a ridge? Just my thoughts.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
kitty

Re: IftU Portraits | Update: Ledinor

Post by kitty »

some more little fiddling on ledinor.
i darkened his eyes a tad, moved his belly in a bit and repainted the front of his shirt. i hope the alien hiding ridge you describe is now clearer readable as a fold caused by the button.

turuk - i'm sorry, but i have no idea what you try to suggest.
Attachments
ledinor02.png
ledinor02.png (149.36 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

kitty wrote:turuk - i'm sorry, but i have no idea what you try to suggest.
Sorry kitty. It was mostly solved when you moved his belly in a bit. I was just saying if a bit of his shirt showed on the other side of the buttons (where there is currently nothing), it might help to get rid of the perception that the buttons form a ridge.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I believe that Turuk is referring to an optical illusion created by the button placement. Most garments button up and down the middle of the body - see my rough attachment. Ledinor's coat buttons up on the left side of the body; this is a slightly uncommon design, often associated with military wear. As a costuming choice, it adds additional character to the portrait.

The optical illusion stems from the fact that, if someone wearing standing in side profile, wearing a garment with central buttons, the buttons would mark the character's belly. At first glance, that could be the impression one gets from this image. Once you realise that the buttons are not centrally placed, the mind's eye can resolve the image properly, realising that Ledinor is facing somewhat to the side, but not fully.

Did I make sense?

Incidentally, kitty, I have no idea how you manage to draw so many different elves and yet still give every one of them a unique character. It's impressive, to say the least.
Attachments
&quot;Central&quot; button placement.
"Central" button placement.
ledinorhack.png (162.13 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Sangel wrote:The optical illusion stems from the fact that, if someone wearing standing in side profile, wearing a garment with central buttons, the buttons would mark the character's belly. At first glance, that could be the impression one gets from this image. Once you realise that the buttons are not centrally placed, the mind's eye can resolve the image properly, realising that Ledinor is facing somewhat to the side, but not fully.

I was well aware from the beginning that the buttons were placed to the side across the chest in keeping with military styling, and I was not talking about button placement (or perceived improper placement ;) ). As pointed out above by TSI and SM, there was an appearance of the ridge due to the shading, so I was merely proposing a possible solution that might add a thin line of fabric to the right of the buttons to reduce the ridge.
Sangel wrote:Incidentally, kitty, I have no idea how you manage to draw so many different elves and yet still give every one of them a unique character. It's impressive, to say the least.
Haven't you heard? Kitty and LordBob come from the same galaxy. Given the amount of work that TSI has been churning out recently, I'd say LordBob and him might even be from the same planet. :P