Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by Turuk »

Just another note on the Raenna1c. The arm is better but the addition of the dagger/short sword is a bit awkward in the grip. I imitated the grip using a similar shaped handle, and if I put my fingers as she has hers, my index finger and thumb are squeezing hard to hold on to the grip, while the other fingers are pretty much useless (as they are not wrapped around). This is not only a bit awkward for her to hold but it does not allow her to use the weapon in any ways.

Possibly curl the fingers a bit more around the weapon, angling the weapon itself a bit more towards the body? This would make the pose seem much more normal, and emphasize her readiness to fight. Just my thoughts.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Maybe this works.

-----------image removed--------------
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 25th, 2009, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Doofus-01, I feel you are going to hate me after so much C&C. :P

It does look better (you could have kept the sword but just turned it), but you can see that the arrow size is a bit odd? I understand the perspective you are trying to induce in the viewer as they see the arrow, but the proportions seem off.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Also, the way her arm is situated around her body is somewhat strange--Her elbow should be raised more, so that her arm goes over her chest rather than under it. I think the elbow should be... Just a little lower than her shoulder.
I like the knife better, though. I think if you follow Turuk's advice there (Shouldn't be too hard), and maybe revisit some parts of the arm, it'll look great :)
Anyway, good work! It's nice to see someone this self-motivated around. Keep it up!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Yes, thanks. I guess I was rushing things for some reason. I think I've fixed the arrow, not sure I see the problem with the arm. In any case, I've started shading. We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, I've started another. This guy is supposed to be a lead advisor or administrator, and gets the player's character started on the road to fun and hijinks.

-------------image removed---------------
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 25th, 2009, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I like where it is going so far, especially unique parts like the hat he is wearing.

This may be entirely a personal opinion and I know others may disagree, but I think there he may be wearing too many different colors. My eye is not sure where to look because while the red tunic and purple clock stand out, there is also the yellow collar, brown undershirt (?), purplish-brownish gloves, and the green around the head. I like a handful of those colors put together and they compliment each other nicely in the portrait, but altogether it seems to be a bit too much going on.

But that might just be me, feel free to throw that out the window. :)
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Good job!
I have to agree with Turuk, though--What if you were to change the purple of his cape to be the purple of his gloves? I think that would solve the problem :hmm:
Anyway, keep it up! These are looking good :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Skizzaltix wrote:What if you were to change the purple of his cape to be the purple of his gloves? I think that would solve the problem
Agreed, if it works for you doofus-01. You have the green on the head and the sleeves, read for his tunic and then on his neck, and the purple cloak and gloves would help to maintain some continuity between the colors.

Also, what is attached to the top of his staff, is it a personal banner or flag?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Oh. I wasn't trying to make him a rainbow man, I'll lose the yellow and desaturate most everything else, leaving only the red and cloak with any strong colors. Thanks.

The thing at the top of the staff is a miniature banner. He doesn't send signals with it, but I thought a banner or flag would be a nice variation from a mage staff. He's a government official, they might carry something like that.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I don't see the yellow as a problem, actually--It's the light purple cape that bothers me, because it is one of the or the most eye-drawing color there, and it's not something you want the viewer to be focusing on :hmm:
Still on the colors, I didn't even see the banner the first time through--Maybe make it the same green as his sleeves? Not sure.
All that said, great work so far, and I look forward to seeing the updated version! :)
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

The purple should be fine if you just desatured it somewhat.
For the dark gods!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

doofus-01 wrote:The thing at the top of the staff is a miniature banner. He doesn't send signals with it, but I thought a banner or flag would be a nice variation from a mage staff. He's a government official, they might carry something like that.
Works for me, I was just curious. You could even make it a part of the description, that government officials carry flags of different colors and designs to indicate their standing in the political hierarchy.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Girgistian wrote:You could even make it a part of the description, that government officials carry flags of different colors and designs to indicate their standing in the political hierarchy.
So the enemy archers can see from a distance who to shoot first :P ?
For the dark gods!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Girgistian wrote:So the enemy archers can see from a distance who to shoot first ?
:lol2:

Well, hopefully most of the time it would be something that they carried as a symbol of their office in cities and towns, not on battlefields. But even then, I feel that most politicians would want to keep all the trappings of their office with them, even on a field of battle. Who said that they were the most practical people? ;)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I guess a lot of people would want to shoot him, especially if he had anything to do with tax collection. But I'll still keep the banner thing. The purple cloak was too much though, he isn't a king. Next time, he'll be shaded.

And I think this one's done, at least for a while.
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 30th, 2009, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.