Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
StDrake

Re: Art for Bad Moon Rising, again : Swamp Elf

Post by StDrake »

yep almost, might try going bit extreme on the jaw narrowing in the lower parts, and probably a smoother transition line from chin to jaw. He looks good now but still more like a young handsome human than an elf
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Antonius

Post by Antonius »

Normally, you dont see such defined ribs on an elf. I would reccomend moving them back on his side and lightining the lines some.
My computer just got back to me with a new hardrive...
Do you know the magic word,
Seldom seen and often heard?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Yeah... And I left out those little muscles above/behind the ribs. I guess I'm not done with him after all.

But I've started something new. This is a generic portrait for aerowheel unit, or it is for a progression for Nemesis in Trinity. Something similar to Echidna's progression. The Primeval branch of Trinity sucks, I won't feel bad about completely redoing the first two scenarios if I get the art for such a progression.
-------------------------------------------
EDIT: Got some shading done.
8Wheel1a.png
And I've decided I will do the progression thing. This is the starting level for her. She's badly wounded, so she covered herself with a sail.
8nemesis-low1a.png
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Re: Art for Bad Moon Rising, again : Daemon Girl

Post by Neoskel »

So she's part of the Purple Primeval Pack (PPP)? :P

Her hands seem exceedingly small and that sword kinda looks like it's break off at the hilt if she hit anything with it. I actually kinda like the mask though.
Devas

Post by Devas »

I tought that the last picture was for some "executor" before reading it's description. You should add some scars on the non-covered parts of her body to suggest that she's hiding some, because she looks in a good shape to me. If you really want to make it visible that's she's still wounded, you could even add some bandage. And the visible part of her legs looks kind of weird, you should put it a little higher.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Looking good! I love the hair on the first one there...can't wait to see it shaded c:

As well as the somewhat small hands, her left wrist in the first picture is extremely thin, given the necessary thickness of that wristband...
Also, I'm not sure if this will disappear with shading, but something's bothering me about the chakram :hmm:

@Devas: seeing as she's trying to hide injuries, she's probably draped herself with keeping them covered in mind ;)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Neoskel wrote:So she's part of the Purple Primeval Pack (PPP)? :P
For shizzle. I picked the colour off another portrait, but maybe it was too saturated.
Skizzaltix wrote:her left wrist in the first picture is extremely thin, given the necessary thickness of that wristband...
I'd drawn it to be two small bands, then forgot what I was doing. It's thicker now. I may get rid of the chakram, this portrait started out as something else. But I'd need to put something there to keep things from being lop-sided. Especially with the new wings.
8Wheel1b.png
She can't fly, but she's on the road to recovery and at the next stage she will be able to.
Skizzaltix wrote:@Devas: seeing as she's trying to hide injuries, she's probably draped herself with keeping them covered in mind ;)
Yep.
I still need to clean the lines, but this is ~90% finished. Hopefully the sword doesn't look like it will break anymore.
8nemesis-low1c.png
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

doofus-01 wrote:Hopefully the sword doesn't look like it will break anymore
I have some bad news for you then...
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I dunno as I would say that it's going to break; it is a little thin, but it's believable.
Rather, the way the end goes feels strange--the curve makes me expect something a little bit like a scimitar, but it's bending forward, not back. Maybe either have it bend back, or make the forward bend more extreme, so it's clearly intentional? :hmm:
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

doofus-01 wrote:
Neoskel wrote:So she's part of the Purple Primeval Pack (PPP)? :P
For shizzle. I picked the colour off another portrait, but maybe it was too saturated.
Don't worry about it, i was just riffing off on the mask. It just superficially reminded me of another group whose name forms an acronym of one consonant three times.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Neoskel wrote:It just superficially reminded me of another group whose name forms an acronym of one consonant three times.
Ah, got it now.
Skizzaltix wrote:-the curve makes me expect something a little bit like a scimitar, but it's bending forward, not back.
I was thinking of something more like a machete.

This is the third progression. The wings cannot be any bigger because they won't fit.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

if i had wings i'd rather not dare hold a blade like that pre-strike, i'd risk cutting myself with the swing, may i suggest trying to avoid that somehow?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I see what you're saying, but I don't think I'm going to change that. I like the pose, any other I can think of is either boring or won't fit in the frame.

I think these are done, though I may need to adjust the sizes a bit when all three are finished:
Attachments
8Wheel1d.png
8Wheel1d.png (128.89 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
8nemesis-low1c.png
8nemesis-low1c.png (178.86 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Nice job! I love the wing-caps there.

Something about the texture on the lower one feels strange, though, almost as if it were stone...maybe if you smoothed that out a little?

@StDrake: if I had a sword, I wouldn't hold it like that pre-swing, period--it would leave me wide open, for one thing. I had thought she was just resting it on her shoulder, and possibly now moving it in front of her for whatever reason ;)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

These are two of the sprites:
nemesis-low.png
nemesis-low.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
nemesis-mid.png
nemesis-mid.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
Skizzaltix wrote:Something about the texture on the lower one feels strange, though, almost as if it were stone...maybe if you smoothed that out a little?
I was hoping it would look like coarse thread, but I think you're right.
Zigg wrote:Don't know how to improve it.
Me neither. I tried adding highlights, but it came out looking shiny.

I think this guy is better, maybe even finished:
8Keldan1d.png
8Keldan1d.png (142.45 KiB) Viewed 2975 times