The Droch Fae

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
furioso

Re: The Droch Fae

Post by furioso »

Very nice! I like the wings - perhaps the sword could still do with a bit of work...? Overall, a great bit of art.
The Filidh is also decent, though the shape of the hood looks slightly odd. Mabe that's just me.
I don't know what the problem was with highlights; the archer and fighter look very good.

Keep up the good work, anyhow - I look forward to seeing these chappies in action.
Zerovirus wrote:Sprites for the Sprite God!
Aethaeryn wrote:What about dwarf dwarfs: dwarfs who have dwarfism?
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I think an issue with the sword is that you are using white on the edge of the sword and with the file comment having the background white as well thus making it look like there's a notch in the sword.

I changed the sword a bit. Might be better might be worse. Take your pick.
I added a background to one so you could see it better. If this doesn't help that's fine. Just trying to help out :D.
Attachments
fiach-dubh.png
fiach-dubh.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 6108 times
fiach-dubh.png
fiach-dubh.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

opensourcejunkie wrote:hey, I'm not familiar with the [unit]s you're making these for, so excuse me if I'm stating the obvious. I just wanted to note that the fiach-dubh looks quite undead, and I was wondering if that was intentional. (I only mention this 'cause none of the other units are undead, so I wanted to make sure that the look was on purpose)
Fiach Dubh _is_ dead.

I certainly hope not undead tho
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

aah, cool then. effect accomplished :)
--OSJ
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

OK. Update: I'm actually working on another mage, an alternate upgrade path. It just isn't very good yet. Will show soon, though.
Syntax_Error wrote:
opensourcejunkie wrote:hey, I'm not familiar with the [unit]s you're making these for, so excuse me if I'm stating the obvious. I just wanted to note that the fiach-dubh looks quite undead, and I was wondering if that was intentional. (I only mention this 'cause none of the other units are undead, so I wanted to make sure that the look was on purpose)
Fiach Dubh _is_ dead.

Alright. I see. The unit is not meant to be undead, but also not healthy. He beyond dabbles in rather violent, destructive magics... He doesn't get out to tan a lot, and this magic certainly does affect his appearance.

Now - to what Syntax Error was saying. I sure hope it's okay that we name the unit after a deceased forum member (well, actually, the unit already had its name before Fiach Dubh came and left, but nobody ever got around to making graphics or cfgs, so I didn't really matter). Anyway, if there are a great deal of objections, I'll consider changing it. If not, I'd like to consider the unit as a kind of ...tribute.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

The Fiach Dubh was roughly designed by Maeglin Dubh literraly upon Fiach Dubh's arrival to the forum. I see it as a tribute imo.

Nice work btw Urs.

*fades into shadows again*
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

whew. Finally had some time to work on them again.
Oreb wrote:The Fiach Dubh was roughly designed by Maeglin Dubh literraly upon Fiach Dubh's arrival to the forum. I see it as a tribute imo.

Nice work btw Urs.

*fades into shadows again*
Thanks... and that's good to know. It's also good to know that you're still kind of alive.
Mirion147 wrote:I think an issue with the sword is that you are using white on the edge of the sword and with the file comment having the background white as well thus making it look like there's a notch in the sword.

I changed the sword a bit. Might be better might be worse. Take your pick.
I added a background to one so you could see it better. If this doesn't help that's fine. Just trying to help out :D.
Ah, yeah, that's true. Once cfgs are done I'll have to edit anyway, see how they look in game. I'll look into the sword too. I don't want it to be purely a rectangle, but it's not bad.
Corvvs wrote:The wings' feathers are technically unrealistic....but very good looking. to make them better, all the ones below the second row should be merged into long ones, so that you'd have 2 rows of short feathers, and one of very long ones.. Maybe a little less pink, though? Not sure what his weapon is, and his arms see a bit long (even though he's bending over). Also, the chin recedes in a funny way on his left. Finally, the TC stuff is a sash? or a belt? anyway it seem rigid on his right side.
Yeah, the feathers. They're kind of a pain, so ...meh. The chin does recede a bit much, but oh well. I'll look into it, but I don't see it as so bad. It makes him look rather gaunt, which is the effect I'm trying to achieve. The tc stuff is cloth tied around him. No idea what you'd call it. It's not really a belt, or anything.

Okay, what I actually created. It's a draft, which means I want it commented on! The arms - are they too long? I really do think they are stretching it, but not so sure. Also, he'll get more magical effects going on to make him look more powerful.
other-l3-mage-pixelized.png
other-l3-mage-pixelized.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 5813 times
:| I really do apologize for the lack of updates, but I've been rather busy with other things, namely school. I hope these guys are gonna be done by Christmas break, though. Hope, hope...
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Syntax_Error wrote:
Fiach Dubh _is_ dead.

In case this was in any way unclear....

Fiach Dubh was a forum member who died around New Year's a while back, driving accident. Upon her arrival, there was suspicion she was a sister or girlfriend of mine.

I don't honestly remember if the unit design was a -tribute- or not, but it was likely inspired in name at least. I can look back at the Imperial Era forums and be a bit more sure.

EDIT: Never mind, I guess I -can't- look back at the Imperial forums, unless the old ones are still floating around somewhere.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

oh, my, that was unclear (although only obscured by my newness). Thanks for clarifying, Maeglin.
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Imperial Era at .jconserv were too unstable and suffered continually crashes, so nothing was able to be saved from there discussion wise. So the original planning of the fiach dubh was lost.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Seeing people comment here makes me feel really guilty.

...I should do something about that.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Great job! This is stuff is good :D
But, I think you're right about the arms--They're a little bit too long. Also, the angle his hands are at seems a little strange :?
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Hey guyz, sorry I took a quick break. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I hope this can finally finish the Fiach Dubh unit...
Maybe quick work over for the old ones too, then make some new stuff. I spent the time was away actually practicing some "real" art (i.e. digital drawings and traditional medium sketches), so maybe I improved. Or not.
fiach-dubh.png
fiach-dubh.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
fiach-dubh-with terrain.png
fiach-dubh-with terrain.png (11.29 KiB) Viewed 4768 times
I also added added a sort of "tattered" effect to the wings... to further work on the "fallen angel" look. Maybe I'm taking that too far, or maybe it doesn't work.

Comments Plz. :D
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Nice!
I think the tattered effect is a good idea, but it looks a little blurry as-is; maybe if you hardened the outlines of the feathers a little more?
Also, either the torso and arms are a little long or her legs are a little short... It's kind of hard to tell, so maybe it's just me? :hmm:
Anyway, great job as always--Keep it up!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Skizzaltix wrote:I think the tattered effect is a good idea, but it looks a little blurry as-is; maybe if you hardened the outlines of the feathers a little more?
This is a good point, as I tried the unit on some other terrain and the wings tend to get lost in the background currently, especially in the mountains. I do enjoy the tattered effect as well, so hopefully the fix will not alter the effect.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time