Widder's artwork/Dibujos míos (Goblin spearman/lancero)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Widder

Post by Widder »

Gracias, yo espero que me digan que dibujos hacer.
T: Thanks, I just wait for you to tell me what you need.
Last edited by Widder on October 12th, 2007, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The best venue for your work would probably be: making character portraits for campaigns.

I've made a post over here advertising your services to campaign authors:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 078#257078

Responses from that thread might be a bit slow to come, so I'd encourage the community here to make suggestions about established campaigns which could use some portraits to go with them (e.g. do not ask for art unless your campaign is already at a "playable to the end" state). This is a list of current user-contributed campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/UserScenarios
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Sorry, I only know english, perhaps someone can transalate for me.

I have a couple characters that I could really use portraits for.

Firstly, there is Abhai from the campaign Northern Rebirth. He is a disembodied spirit from ancient times. In his time he was a great king, and like the kings of his time, the wielder of the Rod of Justice. He was forcibly summoned from the land of the dead by an evil Lich Malifor, who then trapped him in the ethereal form of a Wrath/Sceptre and attempted to control him. Abhai managed to break free from the gees, and has spent the past few years wandering in the deserted ruins of Knalga, avoiding the minions of Malifor and desperately searching for a way out of his tortured existence.

Then for the campaign, Son of the Black Eye, some new portraits for the main character Kapou'e and his sidkick troll Gruu would be nice.

Kapou'e is the son of the legendary orcish leader Kauran Black Eye. Although he starts out the campaign a bit young and brash, he is soon molded by the course of events into one of the most respected and well known orcish leaders in history. He possesses the common orcish qualities of fearlessnes, and brutish strength, and he is prone to resort to his darker side at times. However, he also posesses extraordanary restraint and inteligence - distinguishing qualities which cause his rise in the eyes of his people.

Even when compared when the most strongest of trolls, Gruu easily outclasses all of them when it comes to strength. He also possesses extroridanary speed and dextaratly, and when combined with his great strength, makes him an extreamly fearsome foe. He loves nothing more then a good fight, and his soloution to even the most complex of problems is simply to hit it over the head.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

Taurus wrote:Lo siento, solo conozco ingles, tal vez alguien pueda traducirlo por mi.

Tengo un par de caracteres a los cuales sería bueno ponerles ilustraciones.

En primer lugar, está Abhai, de la campaña Northern Rebirth. Él es un espíritu desencarnado de tiempos remotos. En su tiempo fue un gran rey, y al igual que los reyes de su tiempo, el dueño del Rod of Justice. Fué convocado a la fuerza a la tierra de los muertos por un Lich malo llamado Malifor , quien lo atrapo en una forma etérea de Wraith/Spectre y lo intentó controlar. Abhai logró liberarse, y ha pasado los últimos años vagando en las desiertas ruinas de Knalga, evitando a los secuaces de Malifor y buscando desesperadamente una manera de salir de su existencia de tortura.

Para la otra campaña, Son of the Black Eye, algunas nuevas ilustraciones para el caracter principal Kapou'e y su (no entiendo) troll Gruu estarían chidas(bien).

Kapou'e es el hijo del legendario líder orco Black Eye. A pesar de que comienza la campaña un poco joven e inhábil, rápidamente es moldeado, por los acontecimientos que ocurren, en uno de los mas respetados y mejor conocidos lideres orcos de la historia. El posee las cualidades comunes orcas(no me refiero a los delfines :P) de no temerle a nada, de fuerza bruta y es propenso a recurrir a su lado más oscuro algunas veces. Sin embargo él también posee una extraordinaria inteligencia y moderación, cualidades muy distinguibles a los ojos de su pueblo que lo hacen ascender.

Inclusive comparado con los mas fuertes trolls, Gruu fácilmente los sobrepasa cuando se trata de fuerza. El también posee una extraordinaria velocidad y destreza, que cuando se combinan con su gran fuerza, lo hacen una criatura realmente temible. El ama mas que nada una buena pelea, y la solución del mas complejo problema no es mas que golpear en la cabeza
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thank you for transalating that Jdsampayo.

Widder

Post by Widder »

Mmm..me tendrias que dar una descripcion de como es el personaje fisicamente, por ejemplo Abhai esta muerto? Si es asi, que es como una especie de fantasma?, como un guerrero esqueleto o simplemente fisicamente es como una persona normal. Que edad tiene, para los rasgos faciales, si lleva barba, pelo largo, si es calvo etc...si viste una armadura o ropas etc.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

If i blundered through that correctly (spanish is surprisingly easy to work out what someone is saying if you know a little french...) you're looking for descriptions of the characters who need portraits, particularly Abhai.

Abhia is a Spectre. He's the ghost of a long-dead king from a dead civilisation who was forced back to undead 'life' by an evil lich. He's quite a noble, but somewhat arrogant and overbearing, character in what little dialogue he has.

You might also want to look at the current portraits for Northern Rebirth to get an idea of style - the custom portraits used in that campaign are significantly less cartoony than in others and are not cel-shaded for the most part. See this folder on the SVN for more. There are also some portraits in that folder in need of colouring, particularly Tallin-Evil and Hidel.

*hopes for translation*
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

thespaceinvader wrote:Abhia es un Espectro. Es el fantasma del rey de una civilización muerta hace tiempo, que fue forzado a regresar a la "vida" como no-muerto por un maléfico Lich. Es un personaje noble, aunque bastante arrogante y autoritario, según el poco diálogo que tiene.

Podrías también mirar los retratos actuales para Northern Rebirth y así darte una idea del estilo - la mayoría de los retratos utilizados en esa campaña son significativamente menos del tipo "dibujo animado" y no están sombreados tan al estilo de las historietas como en otras. En esta carpeta dentro de SVN hay más. También hay algunos retratos en esa carpeta que necesitan ser coloreados, particularmente Tallin-Malvado y Hidel.
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

Widder wrote:Mmm..me tendrias que dar una descripcion de como es el personaje fisicamente, por ejemplo Abhai esta muerto? Si es asi, que es como una especie de fantasma?, como un guerrero esqueleto o simplemente fisicamente es como una persona normal. Que edad tiene, para los rasgos faciales, si lleva barba, pelo largo, si es calvo etc...si viste una armadura o ropas etc.
Hello Taurus, Widder wants to know about physical aspects about your characters, facial aspects like beard, long hair, no hair, etc, what old are they, and what kind of clothes or armor they must wear.
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

jdsampayo wrote:
Widder wrote:Mmm..me tendrias que dar una descripcion de como es el personaje fisicamente, por ejemplo Abhai esta muerto? Si es asi, que es como una especie de fantasma?, como un guerrero esqueleto o simplemente fisicamente es como una persona normal. Que edad tiene, para los rasgos faciales, si lleva barba, pelo largo, si es calvo etc...si viste una armadura o ropas etc.
Hello Taurus, Widder wants to know about physical aspects about your characters, facial aspects like beard, long hair, no hair, etc, what old are they, and what kind of clothes or armor they must wear.
When I am working with artists - I usually leave the bulk of these decisions up to them. I like to give a discription about the general character of the person, and which features they think will suit that personality best - I leave that decision up to them and their creativity.

So with that in mind, I personally envisioned Abhai to look like a king - armor wearing, sword weilding - perhaps a medium sized beard would be in place. However, keeping in mind his sceptre form, he should be pale, gaunt and looking like he just went to hell and back.

Kapou'e should be medium build for an orc - which would probobally mean heavy build for a human - and young looking. Orcs are usually ugly creatures, but perhaps he is less so then the rest. He should be wearing big bulky armor and have a big sword somewhere.

Gruu - think big. Strong, mennicing, cunning and quick. He should have a large build, and be carrying some sort of crude scary looking club. Perhaps a few pieces of rough leather armor would add a nice touch too. Perhaps the look on his face should be something like - "I am going to squash you like a big and enjoy doing it too!"

Thanks for the transalation jdsampayo.

jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

Taurus wrote:Thanks for the transalation jdsampayo.
You're welcome
Taurus wrote:Cuando trabajo con artistas, usualmente les dejo todas esas decisiones a ellos. Me gusta darles solo una descripción acerca del carácter general de la persona, y las características que creo van mas con su personalidad. Les dejo la decisión a ellos y a su creatividad.

Lo que tengo en mente: Personalmente visualizo que Abhai se vea como un rey - con armadura y empuñando una espada - quizás con una barba media. Sin embargo, manteniendo en mente que tendrá forma espectral, el debe ser palido y se debe ver algo exhausto y verse como si hubiera ido y regresado del infierno. (Nota de Sampayo: Me imagino que debe verse como si no hubiera dormido mucho, o como si estuviera algo preocupado y cansado físicamente).

Kapou'e debe ser un orco de complexión media - que probablemente signifique complexión robusta para un humano - de vista joven. Los orcos regularmente son criaturas feas, pero quizás él es un poco menos que los demás. Debe tener una armadura grande y voluminosa, y tener una gran espada por algún lado.

Gruu - piensa en grande. Fuerte, amenazante, astuto y rápido. Debe ser de complexión grande, y traer consigo alguna especie de porra (un palo gigante). Quizás su cara debe verse algo así como - "Te voy a aplastar como a una calabaza y voy a disfrutarlo mucho! (es lo mas parecido a lo que lo pude traducir :P)
Widder

Post by Widder »

Perdonad por el tiempo que e tardado en responder, es que no me funcionava internet :cry: .

Luego queria decir que tengo montado una especie de estudio en casa de mi abuela y en ella estan haciendo obras por toda la casa y el estudio esta lleno de polvo y cosas por todos los lados y llevo como un mes sin poder dibujar. En cuanto terminen de hacer obras me pondre con los dibujos, bueno si esque todavia estas interesado.

Venga un saludo y perdon por la espera.

Translation by Shadow Master
Widder wrote:Sorry about the delay of my reply, it's just that internet was not working for me :cry: .

Then I wanted to say that I have some kind of workshop set up in my grandmother's house, and (construction workers?) are working all over there, then the workshop is covered by dirt and random stuff all over, so I have not been able to draw for a month or so. As soon as they finished I'll get back to work, if you are still interested.

Regards, and sorry about the delay.

Note of the Translator: some implicitly declared stuff has been enclosed by parentheses; I assume my assumptions are correct.
Last edited by Widder on November 12th, 2007, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.