Lots of pictures comics portraits etc...

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Tom of wesnoth

Lots of pictures comics portraits etc...

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

I think a topic all about units and pictures of them would be nice i would like to see lots of diffrent units in here like orcish ruler and horseman from impireal era so lots of units ok!
Attachments
Dwarf.psd
Like this ok!
(25.8 KiB) Downloaded 2514 times
Last edited by Tom of wesnoth on October 19th, 2007, 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Don't you get the message? No psd files I repeat no psd.
Save them as png (prefered) or even as jpeg. No one sees it.

Actual I'm not sure what you want to achieve.

Actual you have already a topic here use at least one!
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Unit pictures(do not lock)
oh my, a clever one. now this thread cant get locked, can it? :o
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

So...you screenshotted the Dwarf Lord from the game (as evidenced by the red Teamcolouring on the trousers and cloak, as opposed to the magenta in the maingame files), and cut it out. Badly (you chopped off the top of his helmet...). Before altering the shield to the one from the Steelclad and changing the cloak slightly. It's not even good frankensteining.

I really wish i could decide whether or not you're a troll, or just a ten-year-old with too much time on his hands and not enough parental supervision...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I'm the one who told him he should try frankensteining because his original concept sketches were too crudely drawn to be understandable.

So give him some credit for learning and taking instruction at least. And that frankenstein is a big improvement over the earlier portrait art.

I don't get the impression he's a troll, I think he's just trying to illustrate his concept for a faction. There's definitely some communication difficulties going on. :?

Tom,
Your initial message with this post was unclear. Please slow down a bit and explain more clearly what you're trying to achieve here.

It's great that you're so enthusiastic about Wesnoth and we certainly don't want to discourage that. However, your posts seem to be put together very quickly. Please take a little more time to make it clearer what you mean and what you're trying to achieve.

Thanks.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

It would not fit in the picture
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

What would not fit in the picture? if you mean the top of his helmet, clearly it WOULD - the top of the axe is higher up than the top of his helmet in the frame. I don't want to discourage you here, assuming you are, in fact, genuine. As Irrevenant said, you clearly show a lot of enthusiasm for the game. but posting every single time you do something is not necessarily the best way to go.

Might i suggest you try some slightly more challenging frankesteins. use human units, taking the units from the wesnoth data files on your computer. Assuming windows, the location is Program Files > *whatever you called the file you installed wesnoth* > Data > Core > Images > Units > Appropriate faction. This will mean that your units will fit into the frame, since the images in those files ALL do, without expection. Staying within the Hex is also useful. use one of the terrain images to show you the shape of it.

Try making a unit which has the legs of one human unit, the body of a different one and the head of another. Don't just cut them out and stick them together though. Study how the different parts interact on a very small scale. Work at roughly 800% zoom. But be sure to zoom out regularly so you can see what you're doing at the correct scale, too. But don't come in and post every single thing you do (and certainly don't do it in Art Contributions. Frankensteining, as a rule, will not get into mainline, and contributions is mainly for things which you hope to get into mainline, such as animations, directional frames etc for currently extant units which do not have them. Post work done for practice in the Art Workshop. Hopefully some kind mod will move this thread there.

Don't expect to be able to do this instantly. I started with some background in artwork both at full-scale and pixel level. And after a month of pixelling nearly solidly in my spare time, i've not even close to approaching the level of talent necessary to get my scratchbuilt units into the main game. It takes practice. LOTS and LOTS of practice.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

thespaceinvader wrote:Post work done for practice in the Art Workshop. Hopefully some kind mod will move this thread there.
Behold the power of polite suggestions. :D
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Yay for polite suggestions =D
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

Presenting the elf lord....
Vs the dark-warrior........
The fly-elf is watching.....
Attachments
Here she is
Here she is
Fly-elf.png (3.93 KiB) Viewed 4764 times
Here he is.
Here he is.
Dark-warrior.png (2.04 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
Here he is
Here he is
Elf-lord.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

High elf parts.....
Attachments
Here he is
Here he is
Elf-spearknight.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 4735 times
Qes

Post by Qes »

Tom I say keep it up.

You've amused me more (merely by perplexing and frustrating the regulars here) than is healthy for a grown man to feel based on text alone.

Post away strange little friend, but do try to learn at the same time. They are at least posting to try and help you. So, remember that and take everything with a grain of salt.
-Qes

EDIT: I'm a bad influence.
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

Thanks
Attachments
Smashed by a female was it this one?
Smashed by a female was it this one?
Smasher-elf.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

do not use "brush" tool.

use "pencil" tool.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

I did not use either i just copied and pasted.