Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Unit sprites for Invasion from the Unknown

Post by Iris »

* Afraid of losing his spriting skills forever due to lack of practice, rescues the thread from under a huge pile of code *

Well, it's been a long time but I have solved all the problems that got in my way for updating more artwork. I had the strong need to update a certain underestimated guy. Of course, who else than yours truly could do that job?

Thanks Eternal for the palette.
Attachments
The Shadow Master; from left to right: the old version, the current masked sprite, and the current unmasked sprite (both variations are going to be used).
The Shadow Master; from left to right: the old version, the current masked sprite, and the current unmasked sprite (both variations are going to be used).
shaxthal-master-drone.png (6.83 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I think the colors are weird... he looks like some super hero... :lol: I like the old one a lot more, because the colors and the eyes are better in my opinion.
Check out my sprites!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

What super hero? Please, don't tell me I accidentally placed a super hero's outfit over him again.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I do believe he is just referring to the fact that it resembles tight spandex that superheroes wear (given the muscle definition), and not that it resembles any one in particular.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Turuk wrote:I do believe he is just referring to the fact that it resembles tight spandex that superheroes wear (given the muscle definition), and not that it resembles any one in particular.
yea, that's what I meant.
Check out my sprites!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

In other words, I am not conveying properly the fact that his armor/exoskeleton is metallic. Blargh. I suppose that will go for another revision a.k.a. next time it is 3:00 AM and I feel like spriting.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You could stand brighter speculars and deeper shadows on the metals, that should help =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

The legs on the second and third ones (from the left) look too smoothly bent - the knees on the first one seem more fitting. Also, the shading on the "spandex" makes them appear to just out a bit, intensifying the affect that they're somehow on top of the rest of the sprite. Just my $.02
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Along the lines of this?
Attachments
master-drone.png
master-drone.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

getting more metally all the time :)
perhaps you could make wether his head smaller or his shoulders broader to make him more impressive and less cute. (and if i look at his crotch area i can't help me, but i see a diaper... sorry!)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The arms look a little off. They're facing forwards at exactly the same level, and seem to be horizontal flips of one another, where the chest is facing SE. The unit's left arm should be turned out more, and slightly higher up than the other side. He's looking great, though i still can't shake the Doctor Doom association =P

Though from what I know of the character, it's an entirely appropriate association, so don't worry about it =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

If there's crotch trouble, use miniskirt/loincloth. :wink:

I wish to test something. Finish this up anyway you want, if you find time and motivation.
Attachments
master-drone.png
master-drone.png (4.74 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Unit sprites for Invasion from the Unknown/After the Storm

Post by Iris »

This is *not* gonna be easy. Here's a quickie proof-of-concept draft of Elynia with Jetryl's new wings design, wings open, and on her standing-on-floor frame (used for non-water terrains). A problem with the former wings that was made less obvious by their transparency (and crappiness) was that having them extended in a standing-on-floor frame didn't look quite good, specially due to the clothing and the staff getting on the way.
standing-elynia.png
standing-elynia.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
:hmm: It seems that the only options I have are a) making her hold the staff on her left hand; b) reduce the clothing and the staff thickness; c) get rid of the standing-on-floor frame idea and have only a flying animation. Most likely I'll go with (c), since the clothing was introduced to match Kitty's portrait, and I have no ideas for now on how to make a less thick staff top without removing the this-is-the-ruby-of-fire message. Jetryl's sylph animation has the trick that she has her arms broad open, and the staff is in her left hand to avoid hiding the right wings partially for the viewer.

I'll get back to Shadow Master and his minions later.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I would vote to go with option C. Given that she is in a combat zone, she's probably hovering around, ready to move at a moment's notice to where she might be needed. Not that it takes her long to get in the air most likely, but just providing a bit of reasoning. ;)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Blah. Experimenting. Shading is incomplete, but you get the idea.
Left: not flying.  Middle: flying, TC belt.  Right: flying, no belt at all.
Left: not flying. Middle: flying, TC belt. Right: flying, no belt at all.
transitional_a20_3.png (5.38 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
Bonus (WIP too):
Left: old.  Right: new (WIP).
Left: old. Right: new (WIP).
shaxthal3999.png (4.96 KiB) Viewed 4880 times