Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

New unit: Ember Warrior

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

He lacks shadow.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Perhaps being a demon-spirit-ghost he wouldn't cast a shadow. :?
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

The sprite isn't bad. He does lack a shadow, but you could explain that away if you wish... But I'd suggest just buckling down and adding it.

What is the concept for your faction? Spitting out art is all well and good, but it does help to have something in mind.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Alks

Post by Alks »

You need more than concept.
You need something distinctive, included in:

*background(historical background)
*flaws(some factions have cheaper units, some have poorer resistances)
*advantages(will it be melee-superior race? or multi-damage-type versatile type?)
*UNIQUE attribute(whenever talking about Wesnoth word "unique" loses its meaning to some point, but each faction has to have something that makes playing a challenge). In other words, whenever playing faction, one would like to think some different strategies than Loy-Und-Reb-Dra-Nor. Look for Lavinians from Imperial Era - a shining example of what sense of uniquity I have in mind.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JW

Post by JW »

It would help if your units had different stances. I'm sure you could work it out.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Yeah, it seems to be commonly used to differentiate levels through the use of different poses, which allow for an easier identification at a glance.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

I agree about the stances. The units themselves (general body shape/anatomy) look very good though, they're very different from anything else but still look like believable living creatures.

A couple of minor points though, firstly how can birds or maggots survive inside a volcano? I'd suggest giving one or more units wings instead (more practical, and also it would look better than a maggot). Also, are they all going to have scythes, or is that just for the fighter line?
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Okay, three good answers. I wasn't sure if you'd thought it through that much, but clearly you have :)
Syntax_Error wrote:a volcanic-themed newt would be great, but i doubt i could make it look realistic
There's a sprite (somewhere) of a Drake Hatchling, which looks a lot like a newt or salamander. If you can find it, you could easily enlarge it, fix the outline and recolour it from the current lime-green. Sadly, I no longer have it, but I know it was in the Flight to Freedom campaign, and it's bound to be somewhere in the Graphics Library.

Not terribly helpful I know, but it could work pretty well if anybody has the image to hand.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

I like that (the sickle).
And I vote for mount #3.