EarthCake's units

Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Post Reply
User avatar
EarthCake
Posts: 293
Joined: March 29th, 2019, 1:57 pm
Location: Westeros, Winterfell

EarthCake's units

Post by EarthCake » May 14th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Hello! I am new in making unit sprites, so I would appreciate any feedback!

Here is my first armoured spearman sprite:
spearman.png
spearman.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 738 times
I know that something is taken from mainline units, but...
Just for info, shield is original, though it looks like heavy infantryman's.

User avatar
ghype
Posts: 783
Joined: December 13th, 2016, 4:43 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by ghype » May 15th, 2019, 8:14 am

Study some stance you like for the footwork. They are too short, too bulky and are not positioned well.
The shadow needs to be bigger and rounder, but not too big.
The arm is quiet short. It almost looks like there is no arm. The hand is kinda attached to the shoulder.
The shield is not that bad, but the top and bottom border (the metallic parts) need some proper shading.
Because of the shield, it looks more like a defensive stance then an idle.
post sprites & stuff every day: ghype's Daily Art
destroying enemy castle here: Orcish Castle - Destroyed - work in progress

User avatar
josteph
Developer
Posts: 602
Joined: August 19th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by josteph » May 15th, 2019, 11:52 am

The top left edge of the spear is cut off.

User avatar
EarthCake
Posts: 293
Joined: March 29th, 2019, 1:57 pm
Location: Westeros, Winterfell

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by EarthCake » May 15th, 2019, 12:19 pm

josteph wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 11:52 am
The top left edge of the spear is cut off.
It is not, it should look like that.

User avatar
EarthCake
Posts: 293
Joined: March 29th, 2019, 1:57 pm
Location: Westeros, Winterfell

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by EarthCake » May 15th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Here is reworked version:
spearman.png
spearman.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Should legs or shield be reworked?
Anything ghype suggested is reworked.

User avatar
josteph
Developer
Posts: 602
Joined: August 19th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by josteph » May 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm

The right thigh/knee/shin look like one solid piece of metal.

There seems to be a bit of metal around the right hip, what's that?

Also, the torso plate and right arm look odd but I can't quite put my finger on the why.

User avatar
ghype
Posts: 783
Joined: December 13th, 2016, 4:43 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by ghype » May 17th, 2019, 5:27 pm

his legs armoured or not?
right now it looks like pants but it has the colour of plate armour.
if it is supposed to be armoured then u might want to take a look to HI how it has armoured legs
post sprites & stuff every day: ghype's Daily Art
destroying enemy castle here: Orcish Castle - Destroyed - work in progress

User avatar
EarthCake
Posts: 293
Joined: March 29th, 2019, 1:57 pm
Location: Westeros, Winterfell

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by EarthCake » May 17th, 2019, 8:06 pm

josteph wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm
The right thigh/knee/shin look like one solid piece of metal.
I don't get your point.
josteph wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm
There seems to be a bit of metal around the right hip, what's that?
That part should protect hips because it is a vulnerable part of the armor because it is the place where the upper part and bottom part 'meet' each other, and this spearman doesn't have a vest.
I don't know if I explained it so anyone can understand, but if anyone has a reason why this part shouldn't exist, I will gladly listen to him.
ghype wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 5:27 pm
his legs armoured or not?
right now it looks like pants but it has the colour of plate armour.
if it is supposed to be armoured then u might want to take a look to HI how it has armoured legs
Yes, it is armor.
Actually, I looked at foot stance of HI, and tried that armor look like that one, but it didn't go very well. I will try to improve that.

User avatar
josteph
Developer
Posts: 602
Joined: August 19th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by josteph » May 17th, 2019, 8:59 pm

EarthCake wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 8:06 pm
josteph wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm
The right thigh/knee/shin look like one solid piece of metal.
I don't get your point.
The wearer needs to be able to to bend and straighten their knee, at least enough to be able to walk around, but if the entire "trouser leg" of the armor suit, from hip to ankle, is one solid chunk of metal, then the wearer can't straighten their leg while wearing it. For example, look at the Royal Guard portrait, see how the forearm plate and upper arm plate are separate, to allow the elbow to bend.
EarthCake wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 8:06 pm
josteph wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm
There seems to be a bit of metal around the right hip, what's that?
That part should protect hips because it is a vulnerable part of the armor because it is the place where the upper part and bottom part 'meet' each other, and this spearman doesn't have a vest.
I don't know if I explained it so anyone can understand, but if anyone has a reason why this part shouldn't exist, I will gladly listen to him.
Yes, where two plates meet is a weak spot of the armor, so it's normal to have some extra reinforcement there. I don't know how if it should be removed or kept as is or changed.

User avatar
EarthCake
Posts: 293
Joined: March 29th, 2019, 1:57 pm
Location: Westeros, Winterfell

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by EarthCake » July 11th, 2019, 3:58 pm

I have finally decided to go back on this thread, and I hope I have now fixed these two problems. I know I should add more team color, but for now I have no idea where should I do that.
spearman-3.png
spearman-3.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 152 times

User avatar
ghype
Posts: 783
Joined: December 13th, 2016, 4:43 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by ghype » July 11th, 2019, 5:54 pm

not saying this is finished but I corrected some of your shading. his left foot is still kinda wrong as in model and the shield also feels just placed on top of it. I added some shadow for the shield but I guess you have to recolour it a more familiar colour. maybe try a blue, but different blue colour palette for the blacks. also. a lot of TC for a lv1 unit


spearman-3.png
spearman-3.png (6.33 KiB) Viewed 134 times
post sprites & stuff every day: ghype's Daily Art
destroying enemy castle here: Orcish Castle - Destroyed - work in progress

Post Reply