I like the proposed bloodbind mechanic
7%
I like the proposed bloodpool mechanic
10%
I like the idea that vampires would have indirect means of influence
7%
I like the idea that there would be a lot of custom abilities
10%
I'd like it if the player was only able to recruit support units, and no vampires
7%
I'd like severe daytime penalties as a balancing mechanic
7%
I think all vampires should start as level 2 units
7%
I think making vampires expensive is a good balancing mechanic
7%
I think the vampire in the very red armour needs to be shorter
3%
I like how this faction seems to be developing so far
7%
I'd prefer it if this faction was eventually split into distinct vampire factions
3%

Total votes: 29

ghype

Re: New Vampire Faction & Art

Post by ghype »

i really love the art style of those. they look so beautiful.
however, i took some time to adapt their color pallet to wesnoth. less colors, but more shading. you can see the changes work good on the face, hair, arms, and upper body. drastic changes are on the skirt sicne the reduces colors makes it look less "hd" - less smoother transisition. but thats wesnoth.
all in all i think my version is a good example, but either way , good job on yours too.
vampire.png
vampire.png (4.52 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
vampire.gif
vampire.gif (2.97 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
also, i find it weird that none of your eastern units show their weapons. thats a thing to consider - unless they all are mages, which technically makes less sense. far in the east they were great with martial arts and weapon fighting, weren't they?
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

ghype wrote: October 14th, 2018, 5:46 pm i really love the art style of those. they look so beautiful.
however, i took some time to adapt their color pallet to wesnoth. less colors, but more shading. you can see the changes work good on the face, hair, arms, and upper body. drastic changes are on the skirt sicne the reduces colors makes it look less "hd" - less smoother transisition. but thats wesnoth.
all in all i think my version is a good example, but either way , good job on yours too.
I find the images for the rogueline to successful as it is, in your version I think the shadowing on the left hand makes it more visible against a light background, and maybe some shadowing would be good there. It still looks visible against wesnoth terrain backgrounds.
also, i find it weird that none of your eastern units show their weapons. thats a thing to consider - unless they all are mages, which technically makes less sense. far in the east they were great with martial arts and weapon fighting, weren't they?
Mostly it's just that I've not drawn any weapons, but it's also that the units without drawn weapons are supposed to have more emphasis on other types of influence. For an example the rogueline has those abilities discussed in the previous comment.. I still think they should have something like a dagger or throwing knives.. Also I don't know yet what kind of 'drain' type abilities the vampires should have in general...

By the way if you're interested in modifying the images, I think the spearline (with dark lavender armour), the level1 version of the "knight", and the level2 version of the spellcasterline would need most work... Also if anyone else is interested in modifying these it would be fine. I'll include the images here:
vampire_23.png
vampire_23.png (1.74 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
vampire_22.png
vampire_22.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
vampire_19.png
vampire_19.png (3.07 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
vampire_14.png
vampire_14.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
vampire_2.png
vampire_2.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
Last edited by eurydike on October 15th, 2018, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

Here's a new image for the last missing advancement.. I think it does not seem appropriate that the woman in green greek dress advances into this, so I am thinking about perhaps creating an intermediate advancement (which would make this an option for a level 4 unit).. I was inspired by the greek titaness 'Asteria', titaness of nocturnal oracles and falling stars. So I wanted to draw the dress like the night itself, it hangs like a curtain of night, and she is pale like the moon, the dress is supposed to sparkle in a way that reminds the stars in the night sky... So I think it's reasonably successful, any opinions on this?
vampire_24_c_asteria.png
vampire_24_c_asteria.png (2.16 KiB) Viewed 7377 times
Here's with black background:
vampire_24_c_asteria_black_background.png
vampire_24_c_asteria_black_background.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 7377 times
And placement in advancement tree:
advancement_tree_2.png
vampire_tree.png
vampire_tree.png (4.19 KiB) Viewed 7286 times
ranger.png
ranger.png (2.88 KiB) Viewed 7286 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

The last two units are really nice.
I would say the archer is your best sprite so far in any way. The outlines should be darker for contrast purpose to the ingame terrain but otherwise really really good.
the hood reminds me a bit too the assassins creed series.

About the spear units.. having units sprites that are enlarged sideways can end up to messy clipping issues, according to the wesnoth documentation. maybe try to find a different solution. you could eventually give them a 45° angle and make them a bit shorter. For lv variations you could change the tip or add a flag or other misc. items instead of enlarging it.
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

ghype wrote: October 21st, 2018, 2:16 pm I would say the archer is your best sprite so far in any way.
I'm quite surprised by this.. Personally find the earlier images considerably better. I also put more effort into them, and had references for the clothing, where as this ranger I drew without references although it was inspired by 'ranger' / huntsman units in wesnoth. But hey it's nice if someone likes this..
About the spear units.. having units sprites that are enlarged sideways can end up to messy clipping issues, according to the wesnoth documentation. maybe try to find a different solution. you could eventually give them a 45° angle and make them a bit shorter. For lv variations you could change the tip or add a flag or other misc. items instead of enlarging it.
You're probably right about that, actually I decided on the stance first and then realized I have to enlarge the picture to make it happen, and then I just went with that. Overall I kind of feel like redrawing the spearline (and renaming too) entirely, but for now coming up with the missing units takes priority. I'm having trouble coming up with ideas about what they should be though. However now this subfaction structure is somewhat sketched up, I can at least look at which leader would be recruiting the would be non-vampiric units (such as the ranger unit was placed under this new unit called cabalist, which doesn't have level 3 image yet)

Here's the new unit and also the subfaction structure:
vampire_cabalist.png
vampire_cabalist.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 7273 times
subfaction_structures.png
ghype

Post by ghype »

frankly, i am getting a bit lost with your new display.
you have 3 columns of unit display where as some appear twice, some three times and some don't appear more then once
on top of that you have 4 groups of smaller displays with "recruited by all", "leader only", "available as leader" and "non-vampire".
I really don't know what the specification of most of them are since you have not elaborated their purpose or the faction design you have in your mind.

I also count atleast 11 lv1 base units for your faction, which I don't say is too much. there are some ageless factions with much more and I think the loyalist have about the same unit count. Maybe you should elaborate your faction design, so we can understand eachs units role. Because right now it looks like your trying to queeze all or latest units into a faction, which can lead to faction design problems.

Other then that, the new mage looks as good as you latest archer.
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

The initial post contains some explanation on what the image represents, I suppose I should've included some explanation. Basically the idea is that the choice of your leader unit affects the types of units you can recruit. Here's a bit cleaner image with the same idea. So the unit in the top left corner is a particular choice of a leader unit, and the units below are the units that can be recruited if you have the particular leader. So the total count of recruitable units is not as high. Also some units start as level2 and they're not all level 1 that way. The initial post of the thread has a version of the advancement tree which should hint at the levels. Maybe this explanation clears it up a bit?
subfaction_structures.png
ghype

Post by ghype »

ok I see. this concept of having different recruits depending on what leader you choose seems pretty interesting.
the high count of base units now makes more sense too.

it definitely can spice things up, but I guess you will have to put even more thoughts into faction(s) design, but that shouldn stop you
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

Decided to add one more subfaction with an elvish theme and for that one drew a new unit and modified the pre-existing elf fighter..
vampire_elf.png
vampire_elf.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 7154 times
vampire_elf_2.png
vampire_elf_2.png (2.79 KiB) Viewed 7154 times
human_samurai.png
human_samurai.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 7154 times
elf_modified.png
elf_modified.png (3.28 KiB) Viewed 7154 times
subfaction_structure.png
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

The vampire elves their hair blends in with the skin to much making it not very appealing to the eyes
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

Edwylm wrote: October 24th, 2018, 3:29 am The vampire elves their hair blends in with the skin to much making it not very appealing to the eyes
I agree that the leader unit that it supposed to be a vampire elf looks rather obscure in the face, hair area. Also I think I drew the head as too small. I think the modified version of the fighter is fine though. I'll get back to fixing the leader once the other units are done.. This is pretty close to wrapping up need to think about only a couple of units to draw. Also some units are still missing images for advancement classes.
eurydike

Re: Bloodlegacy (vampire faction) & art

Post by eurydike »

I just uploaded a version of this era onto the add-ons server, you can find it under the name "bloodlegacy" notice that it's very much work in progress, the units are not recruitable yet, but you can see a couple of the leader units and how they look. Also the stats and such are not worked out yet. But at least there's some progress!
ghype

Post by ghype »

eurydike wrote: November 18th, 2018, 10:30 pm the units are not recruitable yet
that means it not playable?
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

I downloaded this but noticed that you can't play them versus other factions since they're the only choice. Playing them vs themselves is not that interesting.
ghype

Post by ghype »

I don think this is finsihed.
and furthermore, i dont think this era is still maintained.