Units with Unusual Traits, but same race

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Steelclad Brian

Units with Unusual Traits, but same race

Post by Steelclad Brian »

I'd like to modify some of the Dwarvish units in my campaign so that they have different list of traits to be randomly assigned, but I'd also like to keep their race as "dwarf" for practical reasons. Is it possible to give a unit a custom layout of traits without changing their race?

toms

Post by toms »

Probably no. :?

But what speaks against an extra race? You can get everything know from wesnoth/data/units.cfg
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Even if not currently possible, this is definitely a good idea.

The first think I would do with it is give the Ghosts a trait or two... not sure what balancing effects it would have, but it makes sense. Ghosts do have personalities.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Steelclad Brian

The main issue with creating new races for units that have different trait layouts is that you then lose the functionality to filter by race without doing even more WML voodoo that would be at least as complicated at the problem it sought to solve. There's also an aesthetic issue - I'm not sure if race is displayed in a field in-game, but if it is, that's a little bit ugly. It isn't that huge of a problem though.

At the moment, I'm creating a campaign in which the protagonist is Dwarvish, so I'm using that unit set. I've created a Dwarvish scout unit to make them a little more dynamic - he gets 6 moves with the standard Dwarvish restrictions (or lack thereof, in this case.) The problem I found was that they would get the Quick trait on top of that, and become obscenely mobile. 7 moves with virtually no restrictions on dry land is incredibly fast, especially since many of my beginning scenarios take place on very rough terrain. So, I decided to consider them as having Quick by default, and then gave them only one trait selected from a quick-less pool.

I think in general, it would be a nice thing to have, although I understand if it's low priority since there aren't that many obvious uses for it in standard Wesnoth. The only reason I brought this up was I was reading through old discussions of the Dwarves and I noticed talk of stuff like Dwarvish Guardsmen getting Resilient by default, or being restricted from Quick, so I didn't know if this functionality was actually in the game.

EDIT - One thing that occured to me though is that it would allow you to include the Dextrous trait in factions that don't all have ranged attacks. For example, from the looks of the new High Elf faction, not every unit will have a bow. You could still give the archers the opportunity to have {TRAIT_DEXTROUS} though, since they are still elves.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If you put in a feature request at the gna! Wesnoth site (http://gna.org/projects/wesnoth) this idea is more likely to not fade away and be forgotten despite its merits. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

turin wrote:Even if not currently possible, this is definitely a good idea.

The first think I would do with it is give the Ghosts a trait or two... not sure what balancing effects it would have, but it makes sense. Ghosts do have personalities.
They have personalities as it is. Annoying personalities. Can you imagine a Strong, Resilient ghost? (Okay, so this'd be balanced out... it's just that the idea of it gives me the jibblies).

I think this is a basically very good idea, though. Might be nice to let a few non-Elves at that Dextrous trait.

Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Maybe just one trait for Ghost, and only Strong, Resilient, Intelligent. We don't want Ghost losing hp at random i think.

That given, any ideas for undead-only traits?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004

Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

Implemented in trunk.
Under the [unit] tag, if you specify 'ignore_race_traits=yes', race specific traits will not be generated.
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."

Steelclad Brian

Xan wrote:Implemented in trunk.
Under the [unit] tag, if you specify 'ignore_race_traits=yes', race specific traits will not be generated.
Where would the list of traits come from then?

Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

[trait]s can be put directly inside the [unit] tag.
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."

Steelclad Brian

That's awesome, thanks! :)