Preserving terrain rendering across maps

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Spannerbag

Re: Preserving terrain rendering across maps

Post by Spannerbag »

beetlenaut wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 10:43 pm
Spannerbag wrote: August 30th, 2021, 11:26 am Would this be essentially an overlay "at a greater height" as it were, so regular overlays would be "underneath" and still work?
Yes. It would be a purely visual effect.
Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated. Will have a look at the WML you mentioned.

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Spannerbag wrote: September 4th, 2021, 1:45 pm Also the error implies (to me at least) that the map file was found, the contents inspected and the engine found a terrain code it didn't like?
No, that's not what happened. The map file was not found or inspected. The terrain code the engine didn't like is specified in the error message: the part that looks like the map file's name is actually the bad terrain code! You must have written the substitution incorrectly or made a mistake above that line that is affecting how the substitution is read. (That's what Soliton was saying, too.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

beetlenaut wrote: September 4th, 2021, 7:16 pm
Spannerbag wrote: September 4th, 2021, 1:45 pm Also the error implies (to me at least) that the map file was found, the contents inspected and the engine found a terrain code it didn't like?
No, that's not what happened. The map file was not found or inspected. The terrain code the engine didn't like is specified in the error message: the part that looks like the map file's name is actually the bad terrain code! You must have written the substitution incorrectly or made a mistake above that line that is affecting how the substitution is read. (That's what Soliton was saying, too.)
Ummm... right. Got it (finally) thanks!

Many thanks for your time, trouble and patience, much appreciated!

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...