Help a newbie getting started

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Bansheeila

Help a newbie getting started

Post by Bansheeila »

Hello! I'm completely new to the game and using WML but it seemed interesting enough to give it a try and i love learning coding even if i never master any of the languages at the end.
So i hoped that following the beginners guide to WML here would be a good introduction to the basics of it before i get carried away with any story ideas though i can't seem to make it work. I'm stuck on making the first scenario, I think the game has a problem finding the map it should load for it and/or the name string. I get the following error message opening the game itself:
Error in the following add-on, loading unsuccesful:
C:\Users\Bansheeila\OneDrive\Dokumentumok\My Games\Wesnoth1.14/data/add-ons/the_beginning/_main.cfg
Details:
Nested quoted string
at ~add-ons/the_beginning/scenarios/dawn_above_ruins.cfg:5
included from ~add-ons/the_beginning/_main.cfg:31
And the first couple of lines are the following from the scenario's cfg:

Code: Select all

#textdomain wesnoth-the_beginning

[scenario]
	id=dawn_above_ruins
	name= _ "Dawn Above Ruins"
	map_data="{~add-ons/the_beginning/maps/dawn_above_ruins.map}"
	next_scenario=null
	turns=30
I thought i followed the guide well enough but something is off apparently. I'm working with the 1.14.17 version of the game if it matters and attached the _main.cfg as well to make it sure if i got that right at least. I welcome any help as i can't seem to solve it by looking at the main game files or the guide and thank you in advance!
Attachments
_main.cfg
(804 Bytes) Downloaded 52 times
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Help a newbie getting started

Post by octalot »

You've got three " marks on line 2 of _main.cfg.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

You have one " symbol too many. I suggest using editor with syntax highlighting, this forum has list of them.
Bansheeila

Post by Bansheeila »

Ah! Thanks for the help! It solved the problem, seems like i was looking at the wrong place. I tried to make notepad++ work with the cfg files and on this page it was really easier to find what i needed for it. Hope i won't have any spelling mistakes after that or at least i won't be going insane looking for it. :D