[resolved] event firing tied to count function

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
tribes55

[resolved] event firing tied to count function

Post by tribes55 »

Hi guys,

I've been trying to write an event which will fire when side once reaches a total of eight units. I figured I could use the count tag for this, and It was recommended that I use the recently added "unit placed" event name. However, I can't get it to work right.

These units are obtained via the [modify_unit] tag, where I switch their side.
This is what I have so far:

Code: Select all

[event]
name=unit placed		
	[filter_condition]
			[have_unit]
				side=1
				count=8
			[/have_unit]
	[/filter_condition]
	[message]
		speaker=Gandfal
		message= _ "Alright, I think it's about time we move on. I don't think we'll get anyone else."
	[/message]
[/event]
What I want to happen is for this event to fire when side one reaches eight units. This doesn't happen. Anyone know another way, or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks! ^_^

EDIT: I was told that switching a unit's side doesn't fire this event. I have an idea, although it's very hacky I guess. I'll just kill the units and respawn them in. The creation of the unit should fire the event, right?
Last edited by tribes55 on July 22nd, 2018, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
tribes55

Re: event firing tied to count function

Post by tribes55 »

Hi guys, I doubt anyone will ever need anything as specific as what I needed, but this is how we resolved it ( I had help from IRC):

Changed the event name to a custom event

[event]
name=count_units
first_time_only=no
	[if]
		[have_unit]
			count=8
			side=1
		[/have_unit]	
		[then]
			[message]
				speaker=Gandfal
				message= _ "Alright, I think it's about time we move on. That's all we're going to get."
			[/message]
		[/then]
	[/if]
[/event]
And we included

[fire_event]
name=count_units
[/fire_event]
In every event which modified the side of a unit.

Alternatively, a path I did not take was to kill the unit and respawn it, but that's much more rough around the edges.

Thanks for the help.
ResExsention

Re: [resolved] event firing tied to count function

Post by ResExsention »

Have you also tried to stop the player from recruiting? I've noticed that Gandfal just said that they would move on, but nothing is actually forcing the player to do just that. From what I know (if you haven't just spawned a whole bunch of orcs near Gandfal's keep and chased him out of it), the player could just keep recruiting over and over again until he (or she) runs out of gold, which would kind of suck, if you intended to limit Gandfal's recruits to 8. Here's how to stop the player from recruiting if she (or he) has already recruited 8 times:

[event]
name=count_units
first_time_only=no
	[if]
		[have_unit]
			count=8
			side=1
		[/have_unit]	
		[then]
			[message]
				speaker=Gandfal
				message= _ "Alright, I think it's about time we move on. That's all we're going to get."
			[/message]
			[disallow_recruit]
				type= # Whatever Gandfal can recruit; a comma separated list
				side= # Whatever Gandfal's side is
			[/disallow_recruit]
		[/then]
	[/if]
[/event]

This should suffice.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

The event would look cleaner with [filter_condition] instead of [if][then].
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

tribes55 wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 3:00 am EDIT: I was told that switching a unit's side doesn't fire this event.
If that's true, it sounds like a bug. The documentation on the wiki states that it is fired for every unstore.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It depends on how side is changed, new ways no longer require unstore.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

So, the implementation details changed. For example, maybe modify_unit no longer relies on unstore_unit. OK? I still see that as a bug. The "unit placed" event no longer functions as intended. The workaround proposed here is far from ideal.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Sapient wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 1:58 pm So, the implementation details changed. For example, maybe modify_unit no longer relies on unstore_unit. OK? I still see that as a bug. The "unit placed" event no longer functions as intended. The workaround proposed here is far from ideal.
I'd disagree. Modify_unit isn't placing a unit on the map, it's only, well, modifying one. It isn't consistent for "unit placed" to apply to [modify_unit] just because it's used in similar situations as [unstore_unit]; really its a lot closer to [heal_unit] and many other tags that "unit placed" obviously shouldn't apply to.

In a situation where an event should fire whenever any unit changes in a certain way, then it's up to the author to make a custom event, because only the author knows exactly which changes are of interest.

In this particular situation, where the event should fire both for certain wml and for new unit creation, I'd make the event like this:

[event]
    name=unit placed
    id=count_units
[/event]
And a macro like this:

#define MODIFY_WITH_COUNT SUF
[modify_unit]
    [filter]
        {SUF}
    [/filter]
    <whatever modification you're making>
[/modify_unit]
[fire_event]
    id=count_units
    [primary_unit]
        {SUF}
    [/primary_unit]
[/fire_event]
#enddef
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Samonella wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 3:59 pm
I'd disagree. Modify_unit isn't placing a unit on the map, it's only, well, modifying one.
The documentation says that unstore should trigger it. Unstore is (or was) a catch-all for any unit modifications, not just placing a unit with a new id. Otherwise there can be many edge cases where a unit become placed unexpectedly through transformation.
Samonella wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 3:59 pm In a situation where an event should fire whenever any unit changes in a certain way, then it's up to the author to make a custom event, because only the author knows exactly which changes are of interest.
Maybe in the past that would have been a viable strategy, but currently Wesnoth allows modifications to be used in a modular way. A modification that uses gold to grant privileges, for example, could transform a unit from level 1 to level 2. That's just one example.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

You ask for separate event then - unit modified.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Sapient wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 9:34 am
Samonella wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 3:59 pm In a situation where an event should fire whenever any unit changes in a certain way, then it's up to the author to make a custom event, because only the author knows exactly which changes are of interest.
Maybe in the past that would have been a viable strategy, but currently Wesnoth allows modifications to be used in a modular way. A modification that uses gold to grant privileges, for example, could transform a unit from level 1 to level 2. That's just one example.
That's a good point. Still, I don't think that mixing and matching add-ons should be too high a priority, sometimes there will be conflicts no matter what.

Ravana wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 9:37 am You ask for separate event then - unit modified.
Wow, now that would be a catch-all event. It would have to fire for every "enter hex," every "attacker hits," every rest heal... you'd need some very good filters, but that could definitely be useful. Maybe with a special wml_only= tag, so you can ignore normal gameplay.
EDIT: Ooh, and what if $second_unit held the unit's previous state?
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG