An error message of the description and the name

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
SkyOne

An error message of the description and the name

Post by SkyOne »

Hello,

This is from doofus-01's BMR thread, reported by sur.nhm (welcome back :) ): - http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 82#p557382
I picked it up because the same things are possible to happen on mines on 1.11.5.
sur.nhm wrote:

Code: Select all

Invalid WML found: "Cold Heal" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
Invalid WML found: "Demigod" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
Invalid WML found: "Triage +4" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
Invalid WML found: "immortal" follows a deprecated format for its description, using its name as the first line. Support for that format will be removed in 1.12.
(BfW v1.11.5+dev (3bd8b11-Clean) on Ubuntu 12.04.)

I randomly get this error message on FoaP (once) and Naga campaign on BfW 1.11.2 (1.11.4 and 1.11.5 do not support my current OS):
error-message.png
error-message.png (4.91 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
I would like to know how it occurs if anyone knows about it.
Maybe, it just occurs when the name and the description are the same in the [object] tag, or it also happens because of unit.cfg files, if the unit-name and the unit-description are the same?

Actually, I am using the same unit file on both my Naga and Drake campaign. The unit-description of the file is the same as unit-name, but I have not seen the error message on the Drake campaign (yet). Also, when I test on the same scenario of the Naga campaign, the message shows one day, then it doesn't appear another time. So it is hard to find out what wrong is...

I will appreciate if anyone could tell me what exactly causes to the error message.

thanks
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: An error message of the description and the name

Post by Anonymissimus »

The problem are ability (and weapon specials probably) of the wml form
name=_ "x"
description=_"x:
...."

where the x will be auto-inserted after some versions, thus there will be two of them once the deprecation is over and in case the wml wasn't adapted.
see also http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 1&p=556184
Some weird engine code seems to decide at random times to call the code where this deprecation message is, thus it appears at random.
Perhaps this change wasn't worth the trouble...

Needing to stick to an earlier version you're out of luck. Mac users should probably get a Linux dual boot just as windows users to have some backup (I hope that's possible on a Mac).
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Elvish_Hunter
Forum Moderator

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Anonymissimus wrote:Needing to stick to an earlier version you're out of luck. Mac users should probably get a Linux dual boot just as windows users to have some backup (I hope that's possible on a Mac).
AFAIK, as long as the system has an Intel processor, it should be possible. For example: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Macte ... stallation
Don't forget that you can also install Linux on a pendrive and boot from USB; now that 32 and 64 GB keys are quite cheap, this leaves you with enough space to install applications directly into the pendrive itself.
Current maintainer of these add-ons:
1.14: The Sojournings of Grog, A Rough Life, The White Troll (co-author), Wesnoth Lua Pack
1.12: Children of Dragons
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

In case there’s any doubt, I’ll just note that this “learn to use another operating system just for running Wesnoth” thing being suggested here (especially for a supported OS like Windows) is not the official position of the development team as a whole by any means and the posters above are merely expressing their personal opinions.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm (now available for Wesnoth 1.14.x and 1.15.4+).
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you so much for the comments, Wesnoth precious developers.:)
Anonymissimus wrote:The problem are ability (and weapon specials probably) of the wml form
name=_ "x"
description=_"x:
...."
Ah, looks like that is what it is.
on 1.10.x:

#define ABILITY_UNPOISON
    # Canned definition of the cure-poison ability to be included
    # in an [abilities] clause.
    [heals]
        affect_allies=yes
        id=curing
        name= _ "cures"
        female_name= _ "female^cures"
        description= _ "Cures:
A curer can cure a unit of poison, although that unit will receive no additional healing on the turn it is cured of the poison."
on 1.11.x:

#define ABILITY_UNPOISON
    # Canned definition of the cure-poison ability to be included
    # in an [abilities] clause.
    [heals]
        affect_allies=yes
        id=curing
        name= _ "cures"
        female_name= _ "female^cures"
        description= _ "A curer can cure a unit of poison, although that unit will receive no additional healing on the turn it is cured of the poison."
And there is no custom ability on my Drake campaign, but there are some in FoaP and Naga campaign. It makes sense why the error message doesn't show on BW. Thank you so much, Anon.:D Now, I can move on.

P.S. I will probably buy a new Mac (but not very soon as long as current one works well) because Mac is only a computer I am familiar with since a floppy disk was 5.25-inch (133-mm). Computers had not been my friend, though, until I met BfW. :)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

shadowm wrote:In case there’s any doubt, I’ll just note that this “learn to use another operating system just for running Wesnoth” thing being suggested here (especially for a supported OS like Windows) is not the official position of the development team as a whole by any means and the posters above are merely expressing their personal opinions.
Sure. It is not my position as well, actually. One should not need to do that.
But sadly, wesnoth does run better on Linux systems than it does on something else. This problem also isn't limited to wesnoth. I've seen other *nix centric projects where it's much more severe (so wesnoth runs actually pretty well compared to those).
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign