Wesnoth User Made Content IDE [2.0.3]

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.

What's your usage of the UMC IDE?

I don't use it, but I plan to.
42%
I don't use it and I don't plan to.
26%
I use it seldom
18%
I use it regularly.
14%

Total votes: 57

timotei
Inactive Developer

Wesnoth User Made Content IDE [2.0.3]

Post by timotei »

Update 21st March 2015: The current version is 2.0.3.
Update 29th July 2012: The current version is 2.0.1.

Since 2010, a new tool for creating user made content for Wesnoth is available: Wesnoth UMC Development IDE.

What is this tool all about?
It is something like a WML IDE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated ... nvironment). It offers you some features that help anybody who makes User made Content in WML.
* It has wizards for new campaigns, scenarios, factions, eras, and everything else you might think of. You just complete the needed values and it generates the wml (with nice indentation).
* It has front-ends for launching wmltools (like wmllint, wmlscope, wmlindent on files/directories), the wesnoth game, and the map editor.
* It has a specialized WML editor that has syntax highlighting, tag folding and outline, autocompletion, navigation to macro definitions and so on.
* It has integrated addon management features that allow to upload or download arbitrary addons.

The UMC IDE is based on the Eclipse framework (if you were wondering why the domain for the IDE contains 'eclipse').

How can I install it?
The IDE comes in two flavours: plugin for Eclipse and standalone version (preferred by most of the users). There is a manual for users and developers, that contains step-by-step instructions on how to install, run and use the IDE: http://eclipse.wesnoth.org/download.html

Bug reporting
The bug reports are very valuable. Thus, as soon as you find a bug, problem or undefined behaviour, please drop a message in this thread, or create a bug in the tracker (https://gna.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=wesnoth), in the eclipse plugin category.

The IDE's homepage is: http://eclipse.wesnoth.org/

Note!! The IDE works only with Wesnoth version 1.9.x or higher.
Wesnoth User Made Content IDE/Plugin - an easier way of developing new content for Wesnoth.
timotei
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth Eclipse User Made Content Plugin - 0.2.0

Post by timotei »

Version 0.2.1 is out.

!Note! Please allow the update website to apply the new changes.
!Note2! If you already installed the plugin, you can update it by clicking in: "help"->"Check for updates"

Changelog:
* The workspace setup is done automatically on plugin start (first usage of it's features)
* Faster launching of campaign/scenario due to some enhancement in the wmlparser
* The plugin will autocomplete the paths for wesnoth if it's installed on its default location
* The logs will be placed in <temp>/wesnoth_plugin/logs and will have the name based only on current time
* New preferences pages for 'Addon uploader' and 'WML Tools' were added
* Fix collision between files with the same name by preprocessing them in separate directories
Wesnoth User Made Content IDE/Plugin - an easier way of developing new content for Wesnoth.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Huh... Well, I had trouble with the plugin's installation. I made a bug report like you said, but I couldn't assign it to you and... well I dunno. Just making sure you can see it, trying to help :?

https://gna.org/bugs/?16414
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dixie wrote:I made a bug report like you said, but I couldn't assign it to you
That's normal. Timotei forgot that only developers can assign new and existing bugs to developers. ;)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Thanks shadowmaster for clarification.

You can use now the 'Eclipse Plugin' category.
timotei
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth Eclipse User Made Content Plugin

Post by timotei »

Version 1.0 is out!

Please, test it and give some feedback :)

Changes:
  • * Fixed a problem in cases when the workbench isn't started and the welcome message would have caused error starting the plugin
    * Now it's possible to use a wesnoth project without the 'build.xml' build files. If the build.xml file is missing the user can 'regenerate' it by using the project's context menu. A file without 'build.xml' is considered to be a data/campaigns/ project
    * Added 'Advanced Preferences' preferences page.
    * Removed the User Addons project
    * The 'Setup workspace" action will create a project for each existing data/campaigns/ campaign and for each directory in 'useraddons/data/add-ons'
    * Wesnoth projects building was improved by:
    - removing some unused properties
    - caching of preprocessed files. Files that already have been preprocessed will be skipped.
    - the project macros are read only at the end of the build
    * The *.map files are opened automatically in the game map editor
    * The grammar was updated so the editor will support a broader variety of wml code.
    Even though, the current grammar has 2 unsupported WML Constructs:
    1) Attributes with the key name as a macro: (an example: Dead Water campaign/utils/dw-utils.cfg:70)
    {name}=id
    2) Unterminated/unstarted tags. This is used sometimes in macro definitions. (example: Delfadors Memoirs/scenarios/09_Houses_of_the_Undead.cfg, the first 2 macros defined)
    Spoiler:
    As a resolve to this issue you could write/re-write the macro so instead of having 2 macros you would have only one + 1 extra argument that will represent the content replaced in between

* When there are tags that need to be closed, when the user types: '[/' the last unclosed tag will be closed automatically
    * The user can specify whether the new project wizard should create the files: '_server.pbl' and 'build.xml'
    * Added the 'Wesnoth project' View specialized for viewing wesnoth projects
    * Added wizard for new wesnoth config file (.cfg)
    ** Helpers**
    - pressing F2 on different wml elements, brings up the WMLDoc:
    - macros - will display its name, definition and arguments
    - tags - will display a description for the tag
    ** Navigation - Used with F3 or CTRL+CLICK **
    - map location - opens the map in the editor
    - macro calls - goes to macro definition
    ** Autocompletion **
    * We now have priorities, so more important stuff is shown first. Currently
    the following order is in place: key values > key names > tags > macro calls
    - tag names
    - mandatory tag keys are automatically added for each auto-completed tag
    - key names
    - macro calls
    - key values: enums, scenarios
[/list]
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I was hoping you were talking about astronomical phenomenon. I was disappointed.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Max

Post by Max »

timotei wrote:** Helpers**
- pressing F2 on different wml elements, brings up the WMLDoc:
- macros - will display its name, definition and arguments
- tags - will display a description for the tag
** Navigation - Used with F3 or CTRL+CLICK **
- map location - opens the map in the editor
- macro calls - goes to macro definition
** Autocompletion **
doesn't work for me. before i file any bug reports - is this plugin even ment to work with 1.8.4 or do i need to compile from trunk?

i've been looking forward for this for a long time, really appreciate your work.
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

No. 1.9 only.
1.9 Will be released soon :)
zandorius

Post by zandorius »

Hello, trying to install this potentially awesome program is giving me headaches lots of null:exception errors try as i might I cant seem to make it behave, sometimes it almost works. Should i make a video of me installing it and then it going wrong or post a big list of errors in a bug report?
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Hi zandorius.

Please, submit a bug report, and just dump the error log in the report.

You can also describe the steps you do in order to get it installed. We shall communicate on the bug report rather than on the forum.

Thanks,
TImo
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Hot updates!

For ones who waited for this moment!
The standalone umc plugin is out. No more complicated stuff. Just be sure you have java installed, and run the plugin.

The application is available for download here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnot ... gin/1.0.0/

To remind you, the plugin's homepage is: http://eclipse.wesnoth.org/

The MAC Version will be out soon, need to fix some compiling related stuff first ^_^.

Cheers,
Timo
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Added the downloads for Linux x64, Windows x64, and Mac x86 + x64!

Have fun,
Timo
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Version 1.0.1 is out
  • * The plugin has it's own webpage: http://eclipse.wesnoth.org
    * Created the standalone version of the plugin. It is available on plugin's webpage.
    * The plugin is now signed.
    * Optimized the building by not reloading the macros cache if no config files have been modified.
    * Enhanced the documentation.
    * Added tooltip to each preference in preferences page.
    * Added marker support when checking with wmllint and wmlscope. The markers will appear
    in each file, at the reported line and in the Problems Pane (usually the one under the editor)
    * The user is asked at the workspace setup phase whether to create or not projects for
    mainline projects
    * Fixed the file associations for .map files. Now the game editor will be the default one.
    * Fixed a problem when an empty project won't open after creating it.
    * Fixed bug #16602.
    * Fixed bug #16984 - The path for python executable can now be set via preferences page.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I have some trouble with this plugin:
After downloading Eclipse 3.6.1 Helios I tried to install the Wesnoth UMC Plugin as described in the README.pdf:
2. Insert the link http://eclipse.wesnoth.org/ in the textbox in the top and press Enter. The list will be populated with
some items.
3. Select the entire “Wesnoth UMC Plugin” category and press finish.
Note: If you are prompted for any license agreements or certificates press Yes on all (if you agree).
Note: After the plugin has installed, press “Restart workbench now” when you are prompted.
4. Now the plugin is ready to be used.
There weren't any problems during the installation, so I went on following the Readme:
After you have your plugin installed (user) or running(developer), you can use its features.
But before of all, you must “Setup the workspace”. For this, go in the “Wesnoth” menu (it will have the wesnoth icon)
and select “Setup the workspace”.
It states that there should be somewhere a "Wesnoth" menu - but where exactly? I cannot find it :(
Did I forget something?

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!