Set menu item in the opponent's turn

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Fosprey

Set menu item in the opponent's turn

Post by Fosprey »

I want to make a set menu item that can be activated only on the opponents turn, i think in theory is possible, i mean the commands are there, but is there any issue i would encounter? since a set menu item that can be activated only on the opponent's turn is not something conventional or that has been done in the past, maybe there are some oos issues or other issues that makes it impossible
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Set menu item in the opponent's turn

Post by Sapient »

There's a lot of potential problems with sending menu items during an opponent's turn. That's why it's not allowed.

Keep in mind, due to "undo" ability and network latency, you are only seeing a partial view of what the opponent has done so if you take an action that affects the past it can create a time paradox.

In other words, real hard to prevent OOS. :/

sorry
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

What if the set menu item only modify things that don't have a direct effect on the gameplay?
In my idea, in this set menu item, you will do choices that affect what units you can recruit next turn, that simple.
Even then is impossible to make it work?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sapient wrote:There's a lot of potential problems with sending menu items during an opponent's turn. That's why it's not allowed.

Keep in mind, due to "undo" ability and network latency, you are only seeing a partial view of what the opponent has done so if you take an action that affects the past it can create a time paradox.

In other words, real hard to prevent OOS. :/

sorry
Well, this (his latest post) seems to be basically the same thing that I've suggested sometime before: only make it fire on the user's client, and leave it up to the author to make sure it doesn't modify anything and cause OOS.

It would be very useful for reading UMC instructions and such on the other players' turns, or just browsing your character stats, or whatever. I don't see a problem with having such a useful feature even if someone would be dim enough to ignore the big warning we'd put next to the feature in the documentation and get some wacky OOS. ;)