halbArdier/halbErdier confusion

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taurus
Inactive Developer

halbArdier/halbErdier confusion

Post by Taurus »

Is there any specific reason why the ID of the Halberdier is spelt 'Halbardier' while the name is "Halberdier"? If not, then is there any objection to me setting it strait?
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

No reason. A while back I noticed that in mainline campaigns Halbardier was often spelled as Halberdier, causing quite a lot of recruit lists and such to be broken. However, I fixed all instances of Halberdier to Halbardier instead of vice versa and fixing the unit id, since I figured quite a lot of UMC might use Halbardier.

If you wish to change it to Halberdier, feel free to do so.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: halbArdier/halbErdier confusion

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Taurus wrote:Is there any specific reason why the ID of the Halberdier is spelt 'Halbardier' while the name is "Halberdier"?
Yes. Historical reasons, mainly.

Originally, both the ID and the name were "Halbardier", until someone pointed out that that wasn't actually a word - it's just a misspelling of Halberdier. At that time in Wesnoth development, breaking savegame compatibility was a big issue, so it wasn't such a good idea to change the unit ID. In the pursuant discussion, some genius suggested that we change just the name and not the ID, so that's what was done.
Taurus wrote:If not, then is there any objection to me setting it strait?
It should have been done long ago.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Just fixed in SVN so the 1.3.7 id will be "Halberdier' :)
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Noyga wrote:Just fixed in SVN so the 1.3.7 id will be "Halberdier' :)
Excellent. That's the correct spelling.