Possible change to Shadow.

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zhukov
Art Contributor

Possible change to Shadow.

Post by Zhukov »

Well, it's actually a possible change to to the nightstalk ability, but as the Shadow is the only thing that uses nightstalk it comes to much the same thing.

Anyway...

I am proposing that the Shadow become invisible during the ToD periods of dawn, morning and afternoon. (The name of the ability would probably have to be changed.)
The 'realism argument' for this is that it makes more sense to slink off to hide during the times when he is weak and emerge when at full strength.

More importantly, my gameplay argument is that I usually have very little use for nightstalk as it currently work. Nightime is not the period when I want my Shadow to be concealed. Instead I want to use him to deal out that nasty backstab, but this requires that he be revealed anyway.

I think my proposal would make the shadow more useful, perhaps giving it increased desirability in the level-up choice between it and the Wraith. I also think it would make the unit more fun to play. When day approaches and the enemy begins to advance on your weakened undead, a Shadow could be hidden away over water or behind a mountain so as to sneak through the lines. Then, as the nasty day finally comes to an end, the foe finds his villages being stolen and his retreating units being stalked.

Anyone else think it could be worth a try?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Interesting idea. Sounds like it would at least make the unit much more fun.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

god idea, right now about anything will make the shadow more desirable.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Currently, the shadow has the following stats (in SVN trunk, it has been modified since 1.2) :
HP: 24
XP: 100
Movement: 7, undeadspirit
Abilities: Skirmisher, Nightstalk
Cost:38
Attacks: 8-3 melee blade with backstab

This means that it can already cross the defensive lines without being detected 1/3 of the time.
Changing it to make it invisible 1 more turn will make Shadows overpowered IMHO.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Gus

Post by Gus »

Maybe it could be only Morning and Afternoon then. I think what Zukhov wants feedback on is the fact that the Shadows should be changed to be invisible at day, not at night.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Noyga wrote:Currently, the shadow has the following stats (in SVN trunk, it has been modified since 1.2) :
HP: 24
XP: 100
Movement: 7, undeadspirit
Abilities: Skirmisher, Nightstalk
Cost:38
Attacks: 8-3 melee blade with backstab
I am aware of this and do not like it. Adding skirmisher makes it no more then an undead rogue.
Besides, adding skirmisher doesn't stop nightstalk being close to worthless in it's current form. The times he is hidden are exactly the times you want him to be attacking, and he can't hide while attacking anyway. Hence my proposed change.
Gus wrote:Maybe it could be only Morning and Afternoon then. I think what Zukhov wants feedback on is the fact that the Shadows should be changed to be invisible at day, not at night.
You are right, mostly. As you say, the main point is to get night swapped for day. However, though it's not vital, I really would like it to also hide during the dawn period.

PS. Romnajin PMed me with a nice name suggestion: 'Fade'.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Zhukov wrote:However, though it's not vital, I really would like it to also hide during the dawn period.
I was only mentioning this because, for balancing reasons, it may or may not be a good thing to allow the ability to work during one or both of the intermediate periods.
The "reasoning" is to allow it to hide during the day because it should attack during the night, the "balancing" would consist in deciding during which periods exactly are the ones the Shadow should be able to hide.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Be careful, it might overpower shadows.