New unit for the Orges

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jg

New unit for the Orges

Post by jg »

Last night I made a new unit for my campaign that I am making.

Since Orges only have one type of unit (as far as I know), I decided to make one
who has a long ranged weapon. Because Orges are quite 'dull', I decided to give it a
simple weapon, a rock. It can throw it twice, but it can also use it on short range.

I need your guys opinion of it. Do you guys think it looks to much like the original orge? (I
copied it from it). Any comments and ideas are welcomed.

Stats:

name= _ "Orge Thrower"
alignment=neutral
cost=18
movement=5
hitpoints=35

[attack]
name=rock
type=impact
range=long
damage=8
number=2
[/attack]

[attack]
name=rock
type=impact
range=short
damage=10
number=1
[/attack]

Here is the picture:
Attachments
young-orge-rock3.png
young-orge-rock3.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
toms

Post by toms »

It takes time to find the rock... :?

Otherwise, fairly ok. I don´t know if you have edited a original img or not and I don´t care.
But I advice you to make the rock clearlier visible.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
cataphractos

Post by cataphractos »

Have it ever occured you that it would be possible to create a new Ogre faction? Me, yes. :roll:
Slow and steady wins the race.
...but he could regret it...
toms

Post by toms »

cataphractos wrote:Have it ever occured you that it would be possible to create a new Ogre faction? Me, yes. :roll:
Young Ogre+Ogre+Ogre Thrower (plus advances, maybe) = A faction? :?

For trolls, it makes more sense:

Whelp, Troll, Troll Rocklobber, Troll Warrior, Troll Hero, Mighty Troll, (Troll Dwarflobber :P )
cataphractos

Post by cataphractos »

toms wrote:
cataphractos wrote:Have it ever occured you that it would be possible to create a new Ogre faction? Me, yes. :roll:
Young Ogre+Ogre+Ogre Thrower (plus advances, maybe) = A faction? :?
I mean Ogres could be numerically increased. And you forget my Ogre Warrior... :P (See my avatar and my topic [see my signature]
Trolls are more comprehensibly allied with Orcs, but IMO Ogres have no reason to ally with humans
toms wrote:For trolls, it makes more sense:

Whelp, Troll, Troll Rocklobber, Troll Warrior, Troll Hero, Mighty Troll, (Troll Dwarflobber :P )
Here too I added something; click my signature.
And what is Troll Dwarflobber ??? :shock: A Troll Goblinlobber would sound as well IMO. Dwarves could mutiny in Troll's hand...
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

I can't see ogres using rocks. Sure Troll's are low tech since they rely on orcs for it, but Ogre units seem quick to pick up blades. Perhaps a ballista modified into a crossbow for them. Also ogres could have a faction but it'd be bland unless you gave them a slave race to use, or fierce animals like trained wolves. Which would of course normally be used for hunting. Hell since ogres ussually unkown if wesnoth ones got this, are gluttons you could make steadfast fatty ogre even. I'd give more ideas but I'm no sprite artist yet, and would rather not get people's hopes up.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
toms

Post by toms »

cataphractos wrote:And what is Troll Dwarflobber ??? :shock: A Troll Goblinlobber would sound as well IMO. Dwarves could mutiny in Troll's hand...
You have never seena real Troll Dwarflobber!? :shock: You have missed something!
:lol: :mrgreen:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Tippsey wrote:Perhaps a ballista modified into a crossbow for them.
Interesting idea. Much better than rocks...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

like Detritus (probably spelt wrong) from the diskworld series except he was a troll (made of rock)
cataphractos

Post by cataphractos »

Ranger M wrote:
like Detritus (probably spelt wrong) from the diskworld series except he was a troll (made of rock)
you spelt well, but I don't remember Detritus had a xbow. Hasn't he a simple mace? Or was he a 'fister bouncer'? :roll: I've to check. (Pratchett is a genius :mrgreen: )
Toms wrote:You have never seen a real Troll Dwarflobber!? Shocked You have missed something!
Ohw! That topic doesn't show images! But ideas are wonderful :lol: ... as the rave of people :mrgreen: :lol: ...
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

cataphractos wrote:Trolls are more comprehensibly allied with Orcs, but IMO Ogres have no reason to ally with humans
Wesnoth does not always stick to "standard" generic fantasy mythology, even if such a thing existed.
Maybe if you read the unit description?
young ogre wrote:When still young, Ogres are sometimes captured and taken into the army to be trained. They cannot manage weapons skillfully, but that is of little concern given their strength.
ogre wrote:Ogres are giant creatures that usually live alone in the wilderness, remarkably similar to humans in form, though large and misshapen. While they can be easily outrun or outsmarted, their strength is not to be underestimated.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Meh being able to use a weapon beats the trolls already and it doesn't mention them being gluttonous or non glutonous. Also if we look at the stereotypes of each fantasy unit wesnoth does indeed follow it. Elves, lithe, foresty, great with bows. Orcs less intelligent, brutes, green/brown skinned. Etc. Changes for an ogre faction could easily be made if one wanted to make it for a campaign. After all who gathers up all this info on units? Someone must be doing it. Suppose said chronicler or chroniclers merely hasn't been to the island, waste, or other less then ussually stomped areas where ogres have basic tribes.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Huh? Trolls use weapons. Ever seen the level 2 troll image?

Trolls live in the northlands. I guess them might have tribes there. They probably aren't smart enough to use any weapons other than their meat cleavers. I really doubt a plot with ogres could be made decent, since they're used mostly for comic relief. (It would be like making a campaign centered around Bugg the Sea Orc.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Hey that sea orc should get a campaign he was bloody brilliant!
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Given the increased size of humans, the current ogres are much too short. Also, it seems to me silly to have both troll and ogre rock lobbers. If the ogres must have a ranged attack, could they throw something else, like small trees?