New unit for the Orges

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Small trees without branches could do it, they would take a log, break it by its lenght, then throw it like javelins.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

cataphractos wrote:
Ranger M wrote: like Detritus (probably spelt wrong) from the diskworld series except he was a troll (made of rock)
you spelt well, but I don't remember Detritus had a xbow. Hasn't he a simple mace? Or was he a 'fister bouncer'? :roll: I've to check. (Pratchett is a genius :mrgreen: )
In many of the books, Detritus has a huge crossbow (that three men couldn't lift!) modified to fire tons of small quarrels, which when fired, go so fast that they split into thousands of shards and burst into flame before they even reach the target. It was not your typical crossbow.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
cataphractos

Post by cataphractos »

Darth Fool wrote:If the ogres must have a ranged attack, could they throw something else, like small trees?
They aren't Scottish... :P
Elvish Pillager wrote:In many of the books, Detritus has a huge crossbow (that three men couldn't lift!) modified to fire tons of small quarrels, which when fired, go so fast that they split into thousands of shards and burst into flame before they even reach the target. It was not your typical crossbow.
Oh, unfortunately I have only "Guards!Guards!". I didn't imagine that Detritus would appear in other books, too. :(

A ogre javelinner equipped with an australian aboriginal propeller would sound good, IMO. There are a lot of javelins, xbows, bows, slings... let's insert something new (only the propeller is a new idea, I know)
Slow and steady wins the race.
...but he could regret it...
jg

Post by jg »

Hi, thanks for all the responses. And I think you are right Darth Fool, one rock throwing unit is enough. So that is why I used your idea of a small tree throwing orge unit. But I don't think it should have the name 'Orge Javeliner', we already have one human javeliner :wink: ...

Tippsey wrote:a balliista modified into a crossbow for them.
Eleazar wrote:
young ogre wrote: When still young, Ogres are sometimes captured and taken into the army to be trained. They cannot manage weapons skillfully, but that is of little concern given their strength.
Wouldn't that crossbow be a little too complex for them (except if you in campaign create a story about a crazy mage training the orges)?

(EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention, I wasn't going to use Orges as main characters in my campaign. They play a side-role more.)

So here is the new picture(on my computer it looks a lot better, bigger too):
Attachments
Sorry that the picture appears so small, but I don't know how to change that. :(
Sorry that the picture appears so small, but I don't know how to change that. :(
young-orge-rock5.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
toms

Post by toms »

Texture the tree or wooden piece more and it´s good. :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Crossbows aren't that complex a weapon to use. You just have to say someone else is MAKING the weapons. After all they are brighter then trolls so I'm sure they could use winches and load bolts. We're looking at orc intlligent or just below it, not I am da trollzor of weznothy.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
jg

Post by jg »

Tippsey wrote:After all they are brighter then trolls
I'm sorry, but I have to correct you:
Wiki wrote:The Trolls are slightly more intelligent than Ogres...
Though one could of course give the advancement of the 'Orge thrower' a xbow.

I lthink I'll use that idea actually :D
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Wait then why do all the troll units act dumber in technology and defenses.... soem things need rewritten or drastically clarified.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
cataphractos

Post by cataphractos »

niceman wrote:Wouldn't that crossbow be a little too complex for them (except if you in campaign create a story about a crazy mage training the orges)?
Tippsey wrote:Crossbows aren't that complex a weapon to use. You just have to say someone else is MAKING the weapons. After all they are brighter then trolls so I'm sure they could use winches and load bolts. We're looking at orc intlligent or just below it, not I am da trollzor of weznothy.
right. it could seem strange, but a bow is harder to use (in a good way, at least) than a xbow. in MedAge and after bowmen were an elite (see british Longbowmen) while xbows were given to peasants.
An Ogre xcrossbowman could be possible, if humans sell them them (:?). What about Ogres shotputters (it's right?)?
Slow and steady wins the race.
...but he could regret it...