Possible faction idea : primitive tribe

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noyga
Inactive Developer

Possible faction idea : primitive tribe

Post by Noyga »

We have a lot of faction ideas, but AFAIK we don't have any primitive tribe faction, something +/- similar to arborigen, some african tribes or south american idans or hawaians/polynesians, ... ect...
About terrain, they would typically like more forest, water and sand and dislike mountains, snow and caves.
About their alignement i would typically see them lawful or neutral.
They would use appropriate weapons ie things like spears, bow, blowpipes, boomerangs, clubs, machete, slings, ect...
They would possibly have poisoners, curens and marksman units
And since they would all wear no armor they would probably have negative resistances, particularly to blade (like elusivefoot units).

Well i'm not going to work on this (or possibly in a few months after i finished with the Amazons) but i thought it might intersest someone to make a primitive (human ?) faction
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

Even as a rough idea this needs refinement - pre-urban cultures vary between utterly unwarlike (the Bushmen of the Kgalagadi and Namib) and heavily warlike (various Papuan tribes).

Moreover, when pre-urban cultures are warlike, their motivations and methods of warfare diverge widely. I get the impression that you're probably interested in a forest-dwelling, tropical faction (if I ignore the Aboriginies), but the real world has a lot of different tropical tribal groups. Generic Darkskinned Savage ain't going to cut it; you'd need to define a culture, think about social structures, identify why and how they go to war, and how used they are to it; identify how their religious beliefs work so you can design magic-users appropriately, and so on.

You'd need to have a much more limited number of weapons than that. Unless they're trading weapons with urban cultures, they would probably have one type of ranged weapon, and one or two melee. They will not have iron unless it's traded from outside; iron weapons would probably only be owned by higher-level units.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

IIRC, Temuchin basically fleshed out trees for Native Northamericans, Mayans, Incas, and a generic African Tribe faction.

Go search for them, if you are aiming for something like that, the inspiration or consistence may serve for your purpose.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

My idea was more to make a generic primitive faction.
I thinked it would more intesresting to make some units some various existing primitive cultures rather than trying to make an entire faction from one culture.
For example, i find interesting to have a boomerang thrower, things like this will probably makle the faction unique, from the arborigens, but an entire arborigen faction may be too boring.
I believe that having a primitive faction would be very valuable for making some campaigns, and if it is generic it would be more frequently usable.
Perharps Trmuchin's geneic african tribe would fit well this purpose.
UDD

Post by UDD »

But what's the point?
Making a generic faction makes it so that's exactly what it is, generic.
There's nothing unique or interesting about it to really make its existance worthwhile.
Moreover, you say that as a generic faction they'll be eaiser to incorporate into campaigns, but I think its the other way around, they'll be a "Jack of all trades and master of none", so they won't really fit any campaign.
For example, a boomerang thrower doesn't really fit the forest hunter theme, so you won't use them for a forest campaign, a blowpipe type unit is only really fitting in a forest environment, so you'll be reluctant to use them for a none-forest campaign...
~
When you turn your computer off, its called a "Shut Down".
Shouldn't turning your computer on be called a "Shut Up"?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:IIRC, Temuchin basically fleshed out trees for Native Northamericans, Mayans, Incas, and a generic African Tribe faction.

Go search for them, if you are aiming for something like that, the inspiration or consistence may serve for your purpose.
It was in a thread started by appleide, something about an African tribal faction.

And it was Africans (esp Zulus and Pygmies), South American Indians (esp Incas, but also other tribes), Aztecs, and North American/Carribean Indians (Iroquios, Sioux, Eskimos, Caribs).

Some of the faction ideas were VERY unique. It would be great if someone revived one of them! Wesnoth would never be the same....
scott

Post by scott »

The primitive civilizations discussion was moved to the Off-Topic forum.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

UDD wrote:But what's the point?
There's nothing unique or interesting about it to really make its existance worthwhile.
Not to speak for the other guy, but I think what he's really getting at is that it would be a WESNOTHIAN* primitive tribe, not required to be consistent with earth history.

I quite like the idea of a primitive tribe, armed with blowdarts, bolos and boomerangs.

They certainly don't have to be 'generic' in that they have no personality of their own.
UDD wrote:For example, a boomerang thrower doesn't really fit the forest hunter theme, so you won't use them for a forest campaign, a blowpipe type unit is only really fitting in a forest environment, so you'll be reluctant to use them for a none-forest campaign...
Wesnoth doesn't really have a concept of "some weapons work better on some terrains". It's perhaps a little odd using a boomerang in a forest, but since hunting boomerangs fly straight, rather than curving back, they make about as much sense as spear-hunting in a forest.

If it's a widely held objection though, we could substitute woomeras (a notched wooden aparatus used to fling spears a greater distance).

* Does the planet(?) that Wesnoth is situated on have a name? All this is presumably happening elsewhere in the world to the kingdom of Wesnoth...
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

To get things rolling, here's a proposed tree. Feel free to tear it apart, or suggest better names.

The basic premises are:
* Primitive peoples are no less intelligent or inventive than civilised ones. Their living area just wasn't suitable for the development of farming.
* They don't have metal, horses or other beasts of burden.
* They're a nomadic people.
* They don't have a standing military.

Hunter>>Stalker>>Wisestalker
>> >> Plains stalker
>> Jungle stalker >> Jungle Wisestalker

Runner >> Scout >> Fleetfoot

Healer >> Medicine Man >> Dreamwalker

Some details:
All are race=human, alignment=neutral

Hunter
cost=12
hitpoints=26
movement=6
experience=28
level=1
advanceto=Stalker, JungleStalker
Attacks:
spear (ranged) 4-2
spear (melee) 4-2

Stalker
cost=24
hitpoints=36
movement=6
experience=70
level=2
advanceto=Wisestalker, JungleStalker, PlainsStalker
Attacks:
spear (ranged) 5-3
spear (melee) 6-2
Notes: The stalker has progressed from wooden-tipped spears to sharpened stone-tipped ones.

Wisestalker
cost=45
hitpoints=52
movement=6
experience=100
level=3
advanceto=N/A
Attacks:
spear (ranged) 8-3
spear (melee) 8-2
Notes: The experienced wisestalker has crafted his own spearthrower and his trained arms can project spears with incredible force.

JungleStalker
cost=26
hitpoints=32
movement=6 (good in forest)
experience=70
level=2
advanceto=WiseJungleStalker (yes, I need a better name)
Attacks:
spear (ranged) 5-2
spear (melee) 5-2
blowpipe (ranged) 1-1 (poison)

JungleWisestalker
cost=50
hitpoints=48
movement=6
experience=100
level=3
advanceto=N/A
Special=Ambush
Attacks:
spear (ranged) 6-3
spear (melee) 7-2
blowpipe (ranged) 1-3 (poison)

PlainsStalker
cost=45
hitpoints=50
movement=7
experience=100
level=3
advanceto=N/A
Attacks:
spear (ranged) 7-3
spear (melee) 7-2
bolo (ranged) 6-2 (entangle)

Runner
cost=13
hitpoints=24
movement=7
experience=40
level=1
advanceto=Scout
Attacks:
Stone blade (melee) 3-3
Throwing axe (ranged) 3-2

Scout [elusivefoot]
cost=28
hitpoints=40
movement=7
experience=70
level=2
advanceto=Fleetfoot
Attacks:
Stone blade (melee) 5-4
Throwing axe (ranged) 5-2

Fleetfoot [elusivefoot]
cost=42
hitpoints=50
movement=8
experience=100
level=3
advanceto=N/A
Note: Fleetfeet run at amazing speed.
Attacks:
Stone blade (melee) 5-7
Throwing axe (ranged) 5-3
Notes: Fleetfeet serve as message carriers and scouts during times of peace, but during wartime, their speed on a variety of terrain makes them invaluable scouts and advance troops.

Healer
cost=23
hitpoints=25
movement=5
experience=30
level=1
advanceto=Medicine Man
special=heal
Attacks:
Ceremonial blade (melee) 5-2
Curse (ranged) 4-2 drain

Medicine Man
cost=40
hitpoints=32
movement=5
experience=80
level=2
advanceto=DreamWalker
special=cure
Attacks:
Ceremonial blade (melee) 6-2
Evil Eye (ranged) 8-2 drain

Dreamwalker
cost=80
hitpoints=44
movement=5
experience=100
level=3
advanceto=N/A
special=cure
Attacks:
Ceremonial blade (melee) 6-3
Evil Eye (ranged) 8-4 drain
appleide

Post by appleide »

irrevenant wrote:
UDD wrote:But what's the point?
Not to speak for the other guy, but I think what he's really getting at is that it would be a WESNOTHIAN* primitive tribe, not required to be consistent with earth history.

I quite like the idea of a primitive tribe, armed with blowdarts, bolos and boomerangs.
Hmm, I think Saurains would be a good example of a "primitive" tribe. Just give them some more units... eg "Saurian Blowdart"
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

appleide wrote:Hmm, I think Saurains would be a good example of a "primitive" tribe. Just give them some more units... eg "Saurian Blowdart"
I would agree - IMHO, we don't need human versions of all the other factions.

In regards to a name for the planet, no, we don't have one. We also don't have names for the Old Continent or the Great Continent. Gets rather confusing.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Retlin

Post by Retlin »

This thread appears not to be active for a while, but maybe there could just be a primitave era, the saurians could be there, and many tribes could also be there……
There are two types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't.

There is no limitation to your procrastination.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

It seems population on those times was composed by Elves and Dwarves, with Humans being a maybe (i'm talking prehistory obviously).

Tribal elves, now there's something, although it makes the elvish faction population grow. However, unless someone has the time and effort to patronize (artistically) on this, i don't think it will happen.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004