Wargs

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Post by JW »

Interesting stuff. I didn't know. In America werewolves are always blood-thirsty killers. :p
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

#1 Why are you guys equating chaotic with evil?

#2 Gameplay > Story. Doing anything other than making Werewolves strongest at night would ruin any gameplay. I don't care how you do it. If you can somehow circumvent the night/day, chaotic/lawful deal and just make them stronger at full night, then so be it. But, doing anything other than making them stronger at night is, IMHO, dumb.
Last edited by Ken_Oh on March 24th, 2006, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW

Post by JW »

Ken Oh wrote:Why are you guys equating chaotic with evil?
Orcs. Undead. Outside life experiences.

I think the better question is: do you not associate chaotic with evil, at least somewhat?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

JW wrote:
Ken Oh wrote:Why are you guys equating chaotic with evil?
Orcs. Undead. Outside life experiences.

I think the better question is: do you not associate chaotic with evil, at least somewhat?
orcs are not nesseccarily evil.
Chaotic means in general unorganized. Whereas loyalists, drakes have a set system of life and codes of conduct and status, orcs try, but debase it, elves don't care (neutral), and undead is just a necromancer controlling minions, and not very organised.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I see plenty of lawyers and politicians as evil, yet lawful. I see Jesus as chaotic as he went against the authority figures.

I don't see Orcs as necissarly evil.

Tell you what, I'm going to move this discussion to the User's Forum because I'd like to see some input from more people.

edit: here http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 053#145053

and, btw, I think the Werewolf faction is a great idea. I really hope it gets off the ground.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Blablablablabla
...Sorry, that was very rude... But, o well :).

JW, I think I'm going to make the Stalker line chaotic. That kinda makes sense too, since they have nightstalk and such.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
JW

Post by JW »

Jester wrote:JW, I think I'm going to make the Stalker line chaotic. That kinda makes sense too, since they have nightstalk and such.
Cool. Having a unit of every alignment would make your factiion unique in that respect.
Glaucus

Post by Glaucus »

Isn't the change from man to wolf brought about by the full moon? Which suggests that the werewolf would be at the height of their powers at night.

Also as far as I am aware even in European mythology werewolves were evil killers who ate corpses and little children. I believe the church even charged people with the crime of being a werewolf.

Having said that, why can't the werewolves of Wesnoth buck the trend and be something totally different from the traditional idea of the beast?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Then it wouldn't be a werewolf. It would be something original and would probably warrant an original name.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Okay, let this be name proposal completely for public use.

Err... something like Licans maybe?. I'm just drawing on roots here.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Glaucus

Post by Glaucus »

SmokemJags wrote:Then it wouldn't be a werewolf. It would be something original and would probably warrant an original name.
The origin of the word werewolf comes from the joining of two words, one (wer) meaning man and the other being wolf. So, any man-wolf could be approprately called werewolf even if its behaviour isn't based on the mythology associated with the word.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

Just my two cents..
Werevolwes have nothing to do with a full moon - that is a myth made by some anglo-american writer :wink: ( Same with this Stokers vampires). They were basically men with a power to change their shape - like JWs shapeshifters. No killing beasts, no bloodlust, nothing like that. How I know it? Their origin is very probably the legends of ancient Slavons - werevolwes were leaders of our tribes, great heroes - it is very near to totemism and shamanism of american indians. It is the same as with "stolen" vampires - no problem with silver until they became known because of some " braque writer" ( Originally they are turkish, came with Osmans to Balkan and then spread to another countries, they were even able to have children in these times, they still were with their families, just not in the daylight :lol:, they were not able to cross the flowing water, they could not come into your house without invitation etc.. ).

I can provide links to these information but just in czech. So If you can not speak czech do not ask for it.. 8)
Just bored..
Jester

Post by Jester »

Big Bad Joe wrote:
I can provide links to these information but just in czech. So If you can not speak czech do not ask for it.. 8)
Wikipedia is such a wonderfull site :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolves
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire

Though werewolf lit. means 'Man-Wolf', and so 'my' werewolves could be named werewolves, it is to much asociated with the Holywood werewolfs.
So yes, a new name would be appropriate.

Names I like:
-Lycans, Lycanthropes
-Weri
-Neuri
-Lubins, Lupins

Vote!
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Big Bad Joe wrote:Just my two cents..
Werevolwes have nothing to do with a full moon - that is a myth made by some anglo-american writer :wink:
Actually, there is plenty to do with full moons and werewolves and it was very much old world. Look up Ergotism (the fungus in question is in full effect during full moon).

I vote for Werewolves.
JW

Post by JW »

I like Lycans or Lycanthropes. Lycanthropes sounds more tormented. :twisted: