Saurian Faction?

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

anatelos

Saurian Faction?

Post by anatelos »

The campaign OotS includes the scald.

1) But I cannot recruit this one in MP with the drakes.

2) Aren't the three saurians ( scald, ambusher, mage ) enough to form a separate faction?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

1. Its its only for this campaign, not for MP

2. No, its not.
Logan

Post by Logan »

Considering the only one of use, i've found are the skirmishers.

However, I've become a huge saurian fan recently, and hate that they're usually only available for the Drakes.

I mean, the skirmishers are brilliant, and tribalists work well as support, but leaders and skalds are useless. Skalds are sometimes handy, but their purpose, in my mind, is limited.

The race can hold their own in day, and can seriously lay the smackdown at night, and i truly believe they deserve a faction.

Maybe a faction of purely swamp-dwellers (Lizardmen?)?

Spare a thought for the swampdwellers! Or they shall rise up and destroy you!.

I may as well post this also in the suggestion forum. These guys need a faction to call their own.
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Saurians can be played as a separate faction in MP on clasic settings. I think that saurians are not so weak as their HP count shows. Although weaker then most of the other factions, they can be hold their ground agaist humans, elves and especialy drakes, that are very weak without saurians to support them and vulnerable to the saurian primary attacks ( pierce & cold ).
I think that the scald is a fairly balanced unit and I like that it's secondary attack ( melee ) is poisonus, so every melee unit is going to think twice before attacking it without a proper support - a healer or a village nearby.
The saurian leaders are useless , except maybe for their leadership.
So, if the scald can be made a regular unit, and with a swimmer or a flyer added - my best guess are the nagas ( a kind of a reptile/lizzard too, and they could still be recruited by the northerners too; same as the mages recruited for both the loyalists and rebels ) saurians can be made a playable faction...
The bad thing is that the drakes would be weakened without the saurians. I would never play drakes without the skrimishers.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
Logan

Post by Logan »

They're surprisingly resilient against all comers.
I agree about saurian Leaders being useless, mine being killed by a lvl 1 shadow mage (this was my primary leader too. A jarl.).
toms

Post by toms »

The saurians may can recruit nagas...?
Your idea interests me. Maybe I´m becoming a saurian fan if you make it.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I like the idea of Nagas being included....

I have a race that I came up with a long time ago, but it seemed too much like Saurians to propose when I started playing here... Maybe some of the units would come in handy...

Saurian Blade >Saurian Bladeslinger >Saurian Stormslinger
>Saurian Shadow >Draloki

Originally, the race was the Draloki, with different types; the Amphidraloki, Hydraloki, Shadraloki, etc... In this, though, I reserved the Draloki title for the highest form of Saurian stealth.

Saurian Blade
Uses a curved blade, known as a scabrak, for close-in combat. The scabraks are well-suited to defensive tactics, making them rather hard to hit.

Saurian Bladeslinger
Using the same weapon as a Saurian Blade, Bladeslingers have mastered the art of throwing the scabrak, enabling it to be used for close-in or ranged combat.

Saurian Stormslinger
The pinnacle of Saurian blademastery. Stormslingers are not only capable of wielding and throwing the deadly scabraks, but can wield one on each arm, doubling their destructive potential.

Saurian Shadow
These dark lizards are masters of the art of stealth. Instead of the usual scabrak, they use the multibladed talondirks, wielding one in each hand and carrying others on various belts.

Draloki
Through intense training, these elites have attained the abilities of the
chameleon, allowing them to shift colors to blend into their surroundings. They wield the same talondirks as the Shadows, and light scabraks with blackened blades.

[I can come up with the actual stats, but I leave that to people with more experience with game balance to take a shot at first. Provided my proposal isn't ripped to smithereens within 48 hours....]
toms

Post by toms »

:idea: Maybe saurian crossbow-shooters or one with backstab?
They don´t have a unit with a good non-magical ranged attack.
I don´t like skalds, too. What this faction can include:

saurian skirmisher
saurian tribalist
saurian skald(even if I don´t like it)
saurian blade(if it will be made)

naga
naga fighter

Can you draw the saurian images at yourself?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I don't like idea of separating drakes and saurians.
It would make drakes very weak and saurians-only(well.. naga don't helps much) would be not so strong too(without much new units).
I would cause need of much rebalancing too.
And final problem: i'm not sure developers want it, even if you don't like it they must accept it to get it into game, so it would be usermade era.
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Maybe in classic, where the saurians are seperate, should they have this. And maybe one or two can be placed into the default etc. Because I believe the Saurians to be underpowered in classic, where they are all alone...
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I think the drakes do need the skirmish support, you're absolutely right; but I also think that the Saurians are a good basis for a faction; in the campaigns (so far as I've seen), they operate on their own. I think they should be fleshed out a bit, and maybe put in a seperate era; keep the default/standard eras with the existing settings; but in other eras, perhaps, they could be on their own.

The Stormslinger line is intended to be a mixed type, striking a balance between ranged and melee, while the Draloki line is more focusing on range. And no, I can't draw jack. But I think those with the skill could easily alter existing models.... The left hand knife of the Orc Slayer would make an acceptable scabrak, or maybe the sword of the Elvish Avenger, or even the Naga blades (not quite what I've envisioned, but I see no way of getting my sketches on the computer at the moment...), but for the talondirk I might have to hunt up some reference pictures. They're based on African throwing knives.
JW

Post by JW »

I like the idea of an all Saurian/Naga faction. The problem would be balancing the now weak Drakes (if you remove Saurians from them).

Maybe some new Drake units could be proposed along with the new Saurians? I'm not real familiar with using the Drakes, so I can't add right now.
toms

Post by toms »

Well, the drakes have no unit with a magical attack then.
And no skirmishing unit.
JW

Post by JW »

toms wrote:Well, the drakes have no unit with a magical attack then.
And no skirmishing unit.
Which means they would be a lot weaker, yes, that was pretty much implied. That was also why there would need to be more Drake units added (perhaps with magic, perhaps with skirmish, but neither necessarily) in order to help balance the faction to make it stronger.

I wouldn't worry about the Drake faction losing the Saurians for quite some time, if ever, as there aren't enough units to go around right now for either race, so a lot of work would have to be done before either race became it's own faction.

Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Moving thread to 'Ideas' because I can see more new unit proposals than balancing ones.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit