New "wild elf" faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I like the animations, feel free to make more. One criticism would be just have the raindancer's magic swirl around the hands before the attack.

With the idea about the wild elf shaman thing, It ruins the Wild Elf actions legaacy of spinning swords of death.

I have been off the past week due to computer malfunctions and I am now back
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Pudding

Post by Pudding »

I'm sure the opinion of a forum noob doesn't count for much, but I don't see how a support troop ruins any 'legacy.' Maybe I'm missing something for the backstories, but in a society of nobles surely there has to be a lower class, and given the elf propensity for magic I don't see the problem with lowerclass hedge mages. Perhaps change the line to just have cheap impact attack troops that learn the entangle attack when they level. I just really feel like the unit selection is lacking something critical.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

The tree of the Sidhe was over some time ago AFAIK. The units that remained did so to fit the character of the faction. These aren't your common forest friends, the Sidhe are a war-like version of Elves (although they still do quite well in forest), and their magic is more focused to natural phenomena than the care of the wildlife. Also, per background of the author, everyone is a warrior, and what differentiates nobility is their training in their famed storm magic (and white hair), after that, they war the same as any other of their kin.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Pudding what Cuyo says is right, but what do you think about doing the animations for the rest of the units. They aren't the greatest animations ever but they are pretty good.
Pudding

Post by Pudding »

Oreb wrote:Pudding what Cuyo says is right, but what do you think about doing the animations for the rest of the units. They aren't the greatest animations ever but they are pretty good.
... Wow, I'm not really feeling the motivation.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:The tree of the Sidhe was over some time ago AFAIK.
Well good to know people are always open to new ideas. I completely disagree regarding the vinewhip not fitting the background of the sidhe. You're talking about magically attuned creatures that live and fight in the forest, and they wouldn't find a way to use that as a weapon? Not war like enough apparently... and it still doesn't address the lack of impact weapons. I can totally see an uneven line of sword swinging maniac sidhe charging into a line of humans, who turn to counter-attack only to have a tree creak, groan and smash into their line as a treespeaker attack their flank. Seems very characterful to me, but that's the great thing about open source, everyone can tweak to their own taste.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Pudding wrote:
Oreb wrote:Pudding what Cuyo says is right, but what do you think about doing the animations for the rest of the units. They aren't the greatest animations ever but they are pretty good.
... Wow, I'm not really feeling the motivation.
Sorry if it seems like more of an insult then a compliment, but seriously the animations are great, better than what I can do. Feel free to make more animations they will be gladly accepted, since the Sidhe are in need of that.

With the Treespeaker line, I just don't see it like you do. The Wild Elves, co-existing with the trees, also live in the plains surrounding and the Mountainous area's of the forests. The treespeaker seems more of the type for the Wood Elves.

Anyway the Sidhe fixes the impact problem with the Ancestors, though they are currently out of order :P
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Pudding wrote:Well good to know people are always open to new ideas. I completely disagree regarding the vinewhip not fitting the background of the sidhe. You're talking about magically attuned creatures that live and fight in the forest, and they wouldn't find a way to use that as a weapon? Not war like enough apparently... and it still doesn't address the lack of impact weapons. I can totally see an uneven line of sword swinging maniac sidhe charging into a line of humans, who turn to counter-attack only to have a tree creak, groan and smash into their line as a treespeaker attack their flank. Seems very characterful to me, but that's the great thing about open source, everyone can tweak to their own taste.
I'll put this in M:TG terms, the Sidhe don't use "green" magic. They use "blue" magic. Look at their units - they have raindancers, thunderblades, whirlwinds, etc. Their magic is not based on plants, as the wood elves' is - it is based on the weather.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Isn't blue magic heavy on the counterspells?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Kestenvarn wrote:Isn't blue magic heavy on the counterspells?
Haven't seen the last releases or haven't learned the common background. Pick your choice.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kestenvarn wrote:Isn't blue magic heavy on the counterspells?
:roll:

If this degenerates into a M:tG discussion, I'm splitting the thread...

But, to answer your question, yes. But my point was more basic than that - it's one of water+air versus earth+wild animals.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

If Pudding's Treespeaker art isn't going to be used here, can I take it, adopt it, and use it somewhere else?
hey.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Flametrooper wrote:If Pudding's Treespeaker art isn't going to be used here, can I take it, adopt it, and use it somewhere else?
Always.
The World of Orbivm
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

turin wrote:
Flametrooper wrote:If Pudding's Treespeaker art isn't going to be used here, can I take it, adopt it, and use it somewhere else?
Always.
So in the end it will be used.
turin wrote:blue magic
Wesnoth could be divided into colour coded magic

Blue: Lightning, Wind, Rain
Red: Fire
Green: Nature
Black: Dark
White: Holy
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Oreb wrote:Wesnoth could be divided into colour coded magic

Blue: Lightning, Wind, Rain
Red: Fire
Green: Nature
Black: Dark
White: Holy
Amazing! You've just managed to summarize the M:tG magic system in five lines! ;)

I think those 5 colors are fairly standard... since we already use terms like "red mage", "white mage", and "dark sorcerer", it seems like we already have Wesnoth divided into those 5 colors.

Although I would include "water" in blue.
The World of Orbivm
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

But among "Green" there are distinctions. For instance there's wood elf magic, and then there's high elf magic or elf sorceress magic. They are both natural, in a way, but there's a difference. And then the magic the Celts would use, if I understood the discussion in that topic correctly, would be a type of green also. (Maybe there should be "brown" magic...)
Anyway, wasn't this supposed to be about Wild Elves? (Someone ought to make a "Magic in Wesnoth?" topic in OT or User's Forum.)
hey.