The high elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dtw

Post by dtw »

A grouping unit, with high defenese, is best balanced by a limited attack I think. In this case the complete absence of a range attack would make sense. Sure they can hide when pelted with arrows but least they can't return fire.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

dibblethewrecker wrote:In this case the complete absence of a range attack would make sense. Sure they can hide when pelted with arrows but least they can't return fire.
For hoplites and elvish shieldsmen, yes. But if that were how we balanced it, then the Lavinian Legion should NEVER get grouping! Legionnaires without a ranged attack just wouldn't be right.

However, over in the More Classical Factions thread in the Ideas section, someone suggested another way to balance the grouping bonus -- make it functional only in certain types of terrain. I would go so far as to suggest that units with grouping should only get the bonus when they are in the plains. Does that sound good?
dtw

Post by dtw »

And sand...
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

dibblethewrecker wrote:And sand...
Sand? I'll think about it.

Also, if the Greek faction ever gets finished, there may be a branch of the hoplite line that gets a grouping bonus not only in the plains but in the hills.
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

And grouped units should probably be a little slower, having to stay in formation.
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Lord Aether wrote:And grouped units should probably be a little slower, having to stay in formation.
A valid point. Maybe units with grouping should not be allowed to get traits that would alter their speed.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Lord Aether wrote:And grouped units should probably be a little slower, having to stay in formation.
A valid point. Maybe units with grouping should not be allowed to get traits that would alter their speed.
Makes sense, and fairly easy to do. (We did it with the Trolls, not letting them have Intelligent.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

leave unit speed to balancing... wiring it into the ability would be a bad idea....

however, it could be a general rule....
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

If I had to choose, I would leave it to unit balancing. However, making it a rule could work.
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Boucman wrote:leave unit speed to balancing... wiring it into the ability would be a bad idea....

however, it could be a general rule....
Yes - as with the trolls, this would be something "coded" into WML, not something written into the C++.

It also doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Disto

Post by Disto »

BUMP!!!

Jetryl do you have a unit tree for this (with names (hint hint))?
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Alks

Post by Alks »

good work, Disto. It was the highest time.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Uhm, no I don't. What I can do, if you're planning on forging some UMC featuring these guys, is give you access to the graphics that I have done.

:? If I remember, I'll get around to doing that.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Yeah, I think this thread exists at least since I've registred on this forum, and this seems one of the most interesting elves project...
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Disto

Post by Disto »

Well if you give me the graphics you've made, then i can make the .cfgs for them if you like.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth