The high elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Garm

Post by Garm »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Garion wrote:For a thing similar to a Valkyrie, we may examine the same culture's other myths. "Norn" is an interesting one. The Norns were essentially a much more badass version of the Greek fates, and the youngest ("Skuld" ~ Clotho) regularly took time off to serve among the Valkyries.
How could I forget the Norns?

Anyway, here's a list of Valkyrie names:

Brynhild, Skuld, Skogul, Guth, Hild, Gondul, Geirskogul, Hrist, Mist, Skeggjold, Thruth, Hlokk, Herfjotur, Goll, Geironul, Randgrith, Rathgrith, Reginleif, Hlathguth, Hervor, Olrun, Svava, Sigrun, Sigrdrifa

I'd forgotten how many there were! It's been too long since I delved into Norse myth.

And the female warrior in the Aeneid was Camilla.

Well, this didn't take as long as I thought it would!

Isn't Skuld one of them(3 girls(Skuld,urd,verdandi) who reads peoples destiny in threads?
Veni vidi vici
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

bump...

In general, I hate resurrecting threads, but I have to ask a question.

What role, exactly, do the High Elves play in Wesnoth's history? Right now I have no idea where they would be located... I'm trying to figure out Wesnoth's history, and I just can't find a place for these guys. I think it would be really cool to have them in the World of Wesnoth, but I don't see where they would go...

Are they supposed to be what Kalenz ACTUALLY is (right now he's a wood elf, just like Chantal, IIRC). If so, are we eventually going to make the scenario Home of the North Elves have High Elves in it? (If that's the case, I can't see any era they would be able to go into other than the Default era, but that probably is not going to happen.)

Any ideas?

[edit]
According to the Wiki the high elves live on vast plains to the east of the Northern Elves. That seems improbable to me, though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Kel

Post by Kel »

Since this topic was basically dead before Turin's post, and (IIRC) there's no era associated with this faction (or even unit stats), I wonder if the art could be used elsewhere? It's really very good, and it'd be a shame to have it go to waste.

I specifically had JW's Celestials in mind, since that's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the units. The art doesn't really fit with the existing art of that faction, but taken by itself the silvery, ethereal-looking armor looks very "celestial" to me.

Note that I have nothing to do with the development of either faction. Just an interested forum newbie.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kel wrote:Since this topic was basically dead before Turin's post, and (IIRC) there's no era associated with this faction (or even unit stats), I wonder if the art could be used elsewhere? It's really very good, and it'd be a shame to have it go to waste.

I specifically had JW's Celestials in mind, since that's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the units. The art doesn't really fit with the existing art of that faction, but taken by itself the silvery, ethereal-looking armor looks very "celestial" to me.

Note that I have nothing to do with the development of either faction. Just an interested forum newbie.
I think that's a bad idea. The High Elves are going to get done eventually; Jetryl is doing them, and he's fairly dependable. ;) Just because it is not done yet doesn't mean we should assume it is not going to get done.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

turin wrote:I think that's a bad idea. The High Elves are going to get done eventually; Jetryl is doing them, and he's fairly dependable. ;) Just because it is not done yet doesn't mean we should assume it is not going to get done.
I agree here, Jetryl is probably having as much trouble as I am balancing alot of projects and has put this one on the side for a bit (he is doing allot right now), this is the main reason why the Arenidans have no animations, and are only just getting finished and polished standing frames, because they were on the side while I did other things.
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote: Just because it is not done yet doesn't mean we should assume it is not going to get done.
If we weren't talking about someone on Jet's level though this statement would be false.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Not nessecarily. Is the EOM done? Not quite. Is it going to get done? Yes. (Hopefully.) (Of course, with on Open Source project, nothing is really ever "done" - something can always be added, balanced, checked, tweaked, removed, etc.)
hey.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It all depends on what you mean by "done", actually. The Lavinians are done, in that all of the art necessary to play the faction (standing frames for each unit) is done, and the .cfgs files are completed, but they could still be balanced, animated, and had their graphics improved. So, they're completed, but they'll never be done.
The World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Obligatory High Elf thread bump.

I had a thought: Maybe there could be an Eastern Era that included High Elves, Kalifa, Uridians, and maybe Devlings (if they don't get included in the Era of Myths) and/or Chaos.

The idea would be that these (and any other factions included in the era) are the inhabitants of the lands east of Wesnoth.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

True... Could be...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I've had such a thought before. :P I was thinking the era would contain High Elves, Aragwaithi, Akladians, Uridians, and Steppe Orcs. That's the most logical grouping I can think of.

The Kalifa should not be in the era because they are going to eventually go in Default.
The World of Orbivm
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

People have been speaking about the high elves, since even before I registered on this forum (the first message here is to ask Jetryl where he has put his graphics, and that was only one day after I registered). It would be sad if nothing came out of this...
Maybe it could be a good idea if someone, who has been following the evolutions of this idea, created a page on the wiki summing up all that has been done, and all that has to be done. Then people (like me) who know about it but weren't there when it all begun will be able to know what the current status is, and will eventually be able to contribute better.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

What would be best would be if Jetryl would post the images he's already done, and someone else brought the faction to fruition. Would Jetryl be willing to do this, or no?
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:What would be best would be if Jetryl would post the images he's already done, and JW brought the faction to fruition.
I edited your text for truth factor. :wink:
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

I remeber when it was planned that they would be roughly done by the time 1.0 released...