New unit idea

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

martenzo

New unit idea

Post by martenzo »

Code: Select all

Name=Desert rider
Level=1
Resist.
Pierce -20%
Blade 30%
Impact 30%
Fire 40%
cold -30%
holy 20%
moves 8
Terrain mod.
Sand moves 1 def 60%
grass 1 40%
mountain --
hills 2 50%
deep water --
shallow water 3 20%
swamp 3 20%
cave wall --
cave 2 40%
working on graphics
Some explations for the resistances and terrain mods :
Fire 40% - they live in the desert and have high heat tolerance
Low water speed and def.- they are not used to fighting in the water
I've also made some corrections. This unit is a scout.
Last edited by martenzo on March 24th, 2005, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

you forgot the attacks.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

drachefly wrote:you forgot the attacks.
thx, the thing was i was in a hurry when writing that.

Code: Select all

alignment=neutral
hp=18

Scirmitar (melee)
8-2 blade
charge

Net/Bow (ranged)
Net:
5-3 (impact)
slow
Bow:
4-4 (pierce)
marksman
I don't know which one is better the net or the bow. I'm still working on the graphics
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

well... I have done some work with the graphics here's the result (not a good one, but still a result)
Attachments
It's a modification of the scout, the head is taken from the light mage and scimmy from the sea orc.
It's a modification of the scout, the head is taken from the light mage and scimmy from the sea orc.
human-nomad.jpg (1.48 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
stillnotelf

Post by stillnotelf »

For a level 1 unit, I would weaken its attacks and lower its movement rate (those seem much too good), and improve its HP to maybe 28 or so.

Perhaps 6 or 7 movement (whatever Elvish Scout has),
6-2 Scimitar
5-2 slow Net

Nets would be easier to make and maintain in a desert than bows and arrows...a dry bow will snap in two, the wood needs to be supple.
Usque adeone mori miserum est? After all, there's always a continue...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

stillnotelf wrote:Perhaps 6 or 7 movement (whatever Elvish Scout has),
Um... Elvish Scout has 8.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

A frankenstein heh? You need to change somethings, like adding shadows to the horse, wich looks like a cow.

A Nomad would fit more, a unit riding a camel, looks like arabian (maybe with that arabian hat), but this fits more the art forum.

A great unit for Under the Burning Sun. Wich with the arabian idea, made me realize that making unit's skin darker on that campaign may fit more, since they live under the burning sun :D .
Or a skeleton, with a more brown bone, because of the sand.
I'll talk to quartex later.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
stillnotelf

Post by stillnotelf »

turin wrote:
stillnotelf wrote:Perhaps 6 or 7 movement (whatever Elvish Scout has),
Um... Elvish Scout has 8.
Actually, I just checked the unit list, it says it has 9...egg on my face.. :oops:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

A while ago someone (I think Asereje) made some really nice-looking nomad-type horse units. I would do a search for the thread...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I think it sux that the elvish rider does not get advance to movement anymore, when he level up to outrider.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
CyberJack

Post by CyberJack »

One small mod: don't disallow mountain terrain. There are mountains in the desert (Wesnoth has a special terrain type for "desert mountains"), and camels & such can handle mountains quite well. I suggest making 'mountain' the same as 'hills', i.e. 2/50%, maybe 3/50% if you want to slow them down a bit more. Maybe 3 if you give them a move of 8 or more, 2 if the base move is no more than 7; then at least 'quick' units will be able to move 3 or 4 hexes in mountains.

The terrain you would really want them to suffer on would be snow/ice, which you seem to have missed. Something like 4/20% or worse ...

As for the resistances, I would suggest that the values for all physical attacks should be closer to 0. Desert clothing tends to be lightweight, providing no particular protection against (or vulnerability to) any specific attack type. So I wouldn't give them -20% against pierce, nor +30% against blade and impact.

(If you do a "Desert Warrior", he might have +30% against blade and impact. But he'll probably only move 5...)
stillnotelf

Post by stillnotelf »

I think the pierce resistance is caused by the horse, not the rider...Perhaps because a long object is more likely to get tangled up in its legs? Arrows would injure horses more because they can't "not use" an injured arm like a human fighter might.
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

stillnotelf wrote:Perhaps because a long object is more likely to get tangled up in its legs?
not if the spear-wielder AIMS. I think the main issue of pierce and horsemen is that they're moving quickly and can't change direction so easily, so they can end up impaling themselves.

Of course, if this horseman acts as mounted infanntry, then that would not be so.
stillnotelf

Post by stillnotelf »

drachefly wrote:
stillnotelf wrote:Perhaps because a long object is more likely to get tangled up in its legs?
not if the spear-wielder AIMS.
I think it's an established fact that no one in Wesnoth aims very well; hit percentages are based on how well the target can hide. The exception would be Marksman units. On the other hand, your explanation does make more sense than mine...
CyberJack

Post by CyberJack »

stillnotelf wrote:
drachefly wrote: not if the spear-wielder AIMS.
I think it's an established fact that no one in Wesnoth aims very well; hit percentages are based on how well the target can hide. The exception would be Marksman units. On the other hand, your explanation does make more sense than mine...
I don't think it's a matter of hiding (how do you hide from an opponent in melee combat!) so much as dodging. The better the terrain suits you, the more easily you can move to avoid an enemy's attacks.

Thus a dwarf in the mountains is sure-footed enough to step around (under?) an opponent's spear, but in a swamp he's bogged down and can't avoid the thrust. Conversely, a merman in a river is a slippery target, but on a hillside he's floundering around like a fish out of water :-)