[WIP] Ogres/Builders/Empire/Fungu/Raider Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

[WIP] Ogres/Builders/Empire/Fungu/Raider Era

Post by ForestDragon »

Hello, I am ForestDragon and this is a thread about a WIP era I and Mechanical been working on (I make the code, he makes most of the art (for ogres, trad empire and fungu, to be more precise, the rest mostly use frankensprites for now, as Mechanical is rather busy).). It's a decently large era, with lots of fancy unit abilities (units generating gold in villages, enslaving enemies, building traps, and much more), somewhat like EoMa. The era is not on the add-on server yet (as it arguably needs a bit more polish/playtesting/balancing before it's truly ready.), but it can be downloaded below. Here's a more detailed description of the era below:

the era doesn't have a proper name yet, so I'll use the faction names instead (as shown in the topic name), and the add-on's placeholder name is 1Ogres (since originally we only intended to make one faction)
-the era works on both 1.12/1.14 (using different code for different versions), but was mostly playtested on 1.12. This is due to Mechanical being on a 32-bit linux pc, and thus having no access to 1.14. It may be buggier on 1.14, which is one of the reasons why I decided to only publish it on the forums first, rather than uploading it to the add-on server already.
-it currently has the following five factions:
-Ogre Kingdom: A mostly northerner-like faction, but with ogres, human slave units, and ability to enslave enemies. The slaves are cheap, but will desert to the enemy side if attacked if no ogres around. Another important part of the faction is the boar riders, able to knock back enemies, or trample over them. Unlike the other factions, they do not have a special "faction ability".
screenshot_ogres.png
-Industrial Coalition: A faction with a very unique playstyle compared to others. Instead of attacking head-on, they build defenses, traps and fortifications with their builder units. faction ability: Starts the battle with a ring of free walls around the leader:
screenshot_builder.png
-Trade Empire: A money-focused faction, with good income sources, and ability to bribe enemies. Starts the battle with a marketplace unit.
screenshot_empire.png

-Fungu: A terrain-oriented faction, having invisibility/regeneration in fungus. While fungus is an uncommon type of terrain, the fungu are able to create it with sporeshrooms. faction ability: start the battle with some fungus terrain scattered around the leader:
screenshot_fungu.png
-Raiders: An offense-oriented faction, which lacks workers, but earns gold from each kill. Faction ability: when recruited, the units can move for half of their max moves, but not attack (basically like a less OP version of the Rush Mode add-on):
screenshot_raider.png
-as said above, it's pretty heavy on custom abilities/specials, and even has special faction abilities that trigger at the start of each battle (for example, the Industrial Coalition faction spawning walls around the leader, as shown above), but they can be disabled in the match options.
-some abilities' descriptions aren't very good don't have particulatly good descriptions yet, so I would appreciate you reporting those
-the era has a custom Russian translation, via a standalone add-on (though not everything is translated yet). Download available below.

\/ Download Links: \/

Era download link through Google Drive (since I've reached the attachment limit with my preview images. If it doesn't work for some reason, PM me.): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fM-Mj8 ... sp=sharing

Russian translation download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YB1HRu ... sp=sharing

Extract the folder inside the downloaded archive into your add-on folder, and it should work. The location can differ based on your OS, so make sure to google it. If you need help installing the add-on, PM me. Every update, the link is updated, and you should re-install the add-on to get the new additions.

Post any feedback,bugreports, ideas, etc. here. I'll update the google drive link whenever I make an update. Also, if anyone is interested in playtesting the era with me on the official MP server, PM me (I check the forums many times a day, so I should be able to respond reasonably quickly. Though keep in mind that I live in eastern europe, for time-zone reasons.). If you don't know how to install the era from the archive, message me too.
Last edited by ForestDragon on October 17th, 2019, 4:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: [WIP] Ogres/Builders/Empire/Fungu/Raider Era

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi ForestDragon,

Some of this looked interesting, especially the ogre and fungus factions, so I gave it a shot (with BfW 1.14). A couple things I encountered:
1. Fungus farmer and warrior are both 15g, that seems a little high for a level 0 farmer, unless work2 is really overpowered
2. There were a lot of warnings related to MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR, which is deprecated.
3. Got a Lua error when I recruited a boar rider,

Code: Select all

error scripting/lua: lua/on_event.lua:11: C stack overflow
stack traceback:
        lua/on_event.lua:11: in function <lua/on_event.lua:8>
        [C]: in field 'put_unit'
        lua/wml-tags.lua:358: in local 'cmd'
        lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle_event_commands'
        lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>
4. The slinger portrait is just a little too silly, have some pride in your work. There was also an image-missing error in a lot of the help pages, looks like it might have all been this one: error display: could not open image 'portraits/monsters/transparent/ogre.png
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Hi, thanks for your feedback! Here's my response to the individual points:
doofus-01 wrote: August 26th, 2019, 2:52 am1. Fungus farmer and warrior are both 15g, that seems a little high for a level 0 farmer, unless work2 is really overpowered
The farmer's purpose is not combat, but rather its work 2 ability (think of it like this: it pays back its cost in 8 turns, which is longer than most matches last, and provides free extra income afterwards, allowing you to afford more per turn than you normally could)
doofus-01 wrote: August 26th, 2019, 2:52 am2. There were a lot of warnings related to MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR, which is deprecated.
It is there due to the add-on being for both 1.12/1.14. I'll try to add an #ifver to such code next time, so it only shows up for 1.12.
doofus-01 wrote: August 26th, 2019, 2:52 am3. Got a Lua error when I recruited a boar rider,

Code: Select all

error scripting/lua: lua/on_event.lua:11: C stack overflow
stack traceback:
        lua/on_event.lua:11: in function <lua/on_event.lua:8>
I'll have a look, thanks. EDIT: the issue seems to be occuring more with slaves for some reason.
doofus-01 wrote: August 26th, 2019, 2:52 am4. The slinger portrait is just a little too silly, have some pride in your work.
It was added as a joke by Mechanical (the portrait was drawn by his younger sister), but I suppose I might consider removing it. Though I will have to ask his permission first.
doofus-01 wrote: August 26th, 2019, 2:52 amThere was also an image-missing error in a lot of the help pages, looks like it might have all been this one: error display: could not open image 'portraits/monsters/transparent/ogre.png
Seems like another deprecated bit of code from 1.12. Thanks for reporting!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Bugfix update, for bugs reported by doofus-01:
-fixed the ogre portraits in 1.14
-(hopefully) fixed the lua stack overflow bug in 1.14
-removed {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} from 1.14

The download link has been updated with the new version, so re-download it from there
Last edited by ForestDragon on August 30th, 2019, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

new update:
-master architect can now build encampment/encampment keep terrain, to make him more useful
-dwarvish sage now has a lightbeam attack instead of missile, to make him stand out more from other dwarf mages
-new zombie crypt sprite
-new fungu gardener sprite
-new poison trap/undead trap sprites
-new sprite for lvl3 elephant rider
-improved the lvl2 chariot sprite a bit
-upon being freed, an enslaved leader now regains the ability to recruit
-new poison trap/spike attack icons

As usual, the download link on the first post has been updated, so re-install the era to enjoy the new additions.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

new update (Quite a big update this time, so the changelog is split between the different factions):
Misc:
-fixed most missing portraits in 1.14
-some units now use mainline portraits
Ogres:
-once liberated, slaves are no longer called slaves, for realism ("slave worker" becomes "worker", and "slave militia" becomes "rebel militia")
Builders:
-new ballista turret sprite (it's a scaled down/cleaned image of a ballista, so the quality is not particularly high, but still better than just using a tower sprite)
-new machine gun turret/destroyer turret sprites
-teleporters can now be used by allied sides, not just the side they were built by
-added a cannon attack to the destroyer turret
-changed spiked wood wall's melee attack from 10-1 to 6-2
-added a portrait to sapper/elite sapper
-added portraits to trench soldiers
-fixed trench sentinel's clothes having incorrect colors suring s/se attack frames
Empire:
-new mercenary swordsman sprite/portrait
-tweaked the tycoon sprite
-recolored the briber sprite a bit
-changes to the market unit:
-removed the bribe ability from it, as it was OP enough as it was
-the market's minimum income is now equal to the side's village gold, instead of 3
-now the market's hp scales a bit with leader level (40 for lvl1 leader, 60 for lvl2 leader, 80 for lvl3 leader, etc.)
Fungu:
-new sporeshroom sprites (since biter recolors don't really look that good)
-new fungu farmer sprite (removed the shield, and made the height 1 pixel shorter, to distinguish the farmer from the warrior)
Bandits:
-new unit: bandit knight (lvl3 horse thief)
-new portrait for the witch line
-arson now yields a bit more gold depending on the arsonist's level

The download link's been updated as usual. Btw, since school is starting soon, I may not be able to keep up such a rapid update schedule, but I'll still try to work on the era in spare time.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Hello, I played this era today and I must say it has quite an unusual concept of themed factions. Good job! Yet it still needs a lot of polishing that's why I am going to share my thoughts here. Hope this makes the era even better because it is very promising at this point.

I performed my initial test run with all 5 factions fighting each other. At first I played personally for half of the turns, then after having a stable situation I droided all sides. The battle was long (more than 30-40 turns), very challenging and full of unexpected twists. I think there were two major situations (game changers) in the whole playthrough, all being caused by side-affecting abilities:
- the Ogre leader was killed by his own slave who had decided to join the enemies (seeing this was priceless, believe me),
- a Desert Magus from the Traders faction proved to be disloyal and changed sides in the middle of the battle only to level up to lvl3 and single handedly wipe out one-third of the map.

The mentioned abilities (slave and disloyal) are really cool but at the same time they increase difficulty a lot, because you need to be really careful and take unexpected defections into account (and they can ruin your master plan in a second, because they tend to happen in the worst possible moments, seriously). I guess it can't be helped, because cutting these abilities would make the whole gameplay too serious and boring. You may add a note to their descriptions mentioning that players should think twice or more before recruiting such units.

I had a problem playing Industrial Coalition. I think it relies on right-clicking to much. It is nice to be able to construct things on a map, but it needs to be kept as simple as possible. Stationary Ballistas are not very useful since enemy can just walk past them - it is far desirable to hire a mobile unit instead.
Also having castle walls as functional units is quite mad :lol: At first I liked that concept, but then it turned out to be too weird for Wesnoth mechanics + you can't move your units there as you would normally do. In my opinion it would be better to allow builders create typical castle hexes or even deconstruct existing ones for resources. If you want castle walls to keep enemies away, maybe just use spiked traps placed nearby for this.

Raiders' looting ability is totally overpowered. They won the entire skirmish by flooding poor Traders (but it's worth highlighting the Traders were really though despite loosing their market early). The gold gained from the looting ability should be reduced greatly. I suggest to make it fixed at specific level values: lvl1 killed - get 1g; lvl2 killed - get 3g; lvl3 - get 5g, etc...

I liked Elephant Riders a lot, especially their trample ability, which literally does exactly what the name implies. Yet I forgot its effects a few times and those poor elephants landed in strategically bad positions, overwhelmed by enemies, oh my...

There was also a serious bug with random units regaining their hp on attack end events. It is probably caused by [unstore_unit] tag firing in a wrong place and restoring stats from before a fight. Fixing this should be a top priority.

The faction which may have the most unique concept of them all is probably the Fungu. I consider this faction to be the most difficult to play, but it is worth it in the end. The units are cool and despite their crazy look, they can pose a serious threat when placed right. It is indeed a terrain-oriented faction, and their ability to expand mushroom forests is an excellent design choice in my opinion. Nevertheless I feel the faction could be improved further by introducing a natural defensive system tied with the faction's theme - psychedelic spores :mrgreen: Imagine a giant mobile mushrooms emitting these in from of a slowing aura - every living being (excluding Fungu of course) could be affected by these spores and slowed down just by standing near these new potential units. I thinks it is worth discussing this concept. The faction is already quite original, but I feel it could be made even more interesting.

Also I need to mention that unit sprites from this era are fantastic! They are quite similar to BfW ones, yet they have their own style, which is very nice. Well done :)

That's all from me for now. Keep up the good work! ;)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pm Hello, I played this era today and I must say it has quite an unusual concept of themed factions. Good job!
Thanks! :)
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pm The mentioned abilities (slave and disloyal) are really cool but at the same time they increase difficulty a lot, because you need to be really careful and take unexpected defections into account (and they can ruin your master plan in a second, because they tend to happen in the worst possible moments, seriously).
You do have a point. Disloyal could definitely be made less random, but I'm not quite sure how.
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pmI guess it can't be helped, because cutting these abilities would make the whole gameplay too serious and boring.
Exactly.
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pmYou may add a note to their descriptions mentioning that players should think twice or more before recruiting such units.
Well, the word "disloyal" should make it pretty obvious.
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pmI had a problem playing Industrial Coalition. I think it relies on right-clicking to much. It is nice to be able to construct things on a map, but it needs to be kept as simple as possible.
Well, there isn't really much I can simplify to be honest. Constructing buildings is basically what separates them from other factions, without it they would just be your regular old dwarves.
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pmStationary Ballistas are not very useful since enemy can just walk past them - it is far desirable to hire a mobile unit instead.
Well, they are mostly used for defending villages/chokepoints, but you do have a point. I'll think about it.
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pmAlso having castle walls as functional units is quite mad :lol: At first I liked that concept, but then it turned out to be too weird for Wesnoth mechanics + you can't move your units there as you would normally do. In my opinion it would be better to allow builders create typical castle hexes or even deconstruct existing ones for resources. If you want castle walls to keep enemies away, maybe just use spiked traps placed nearby for this.
Well, the master architect (lvl3 builder) actually CAN now build normal castles/keeps.
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pmRaiders' looting ability is totally overpowered. They won the entire skirmish by flooding poor Traders (but it's worth highlighting the Traders were really though despite loosing their market early). The gold gained from the looting ability should be reduced greatly. I suggest to make it fixed at specific level values: lvl1 killed - get 1g; lvl2 killed - get 3g; lvl3 - get 5g, etc...
Looting is indeed OP. However, instead of making the value fixed, I'll just reduce it from 1/3th of the enemy cost to 1/5th for now. This is a pretty big nerf, and will encourage players to use arson for gold more often.
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pmThere was also a serious bug with random units regaining their hp on attack end events. It is probably caused by [unstore_unit] tag firing in a wrong place and restoring stats from before a fight. Fixing this should be a top priority.
Thanks for reporting. I'll try to fix it by the next update.
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pmThe faction which may have the most unique concept of them all is probably the Fungu. I consider this faction to be the most difficult to play, but it is worth it in the end. The units are cool and despite their crazy look, they can pose a serious threat when placed right. It is indeed a terrain-oriented faction, and their ability to expand mushroom forests is an excellent design choice in my opinion.
Glad you like it!
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pmNevertheless I feel the faction could be improved further by introducing a natural defensive system tied with the faction's theme - psychedelic spores :mrgreen: Imagine a giant mobile mushrooms emitting these in from of a slowing aura - every living being (excluding Fungu of course) could be affected by these spores and slowed down just by standing near these new potential units. I thinks it is worth discussing this concept. The faction is already quite original, but I feel it could be made even more interesting.
Good idea, but the faction already has 8 units, and adding more would make it even more overwhelming for players.
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pmAlso I need to mention that unit sprites from this era are fantastic! They are quite similar to BfW ones, yet they have their own style, which is very nice. Well done :)
Glad you like it! The Ogres/Fungu were drawn by Mechanical, so most of the credit goes to him there. I franken-sprited the Industrial Coalition/Raiders, and Trade Empire is a mix of Mechanical's art, my franken-art, and a couple sprites from TLU (lvl1/lvl2 merchant).
inferno8 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 2:46 pm That's all from me for now. Keep up the good work! ;)
Thanks!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Hi everyone. Been some time since the last update, but here's a large new one (new lvl2/lvl4 units, and many small tweaks):
Ogres:
-changed boulderlobber's fist attack from 14-2 to 9-3, and boulder attack from 18-2 to 17-2
-reduced crossbow ogre's cost a bit
-tweaked the slave infantry sprite a bit
-fixed missing portraits for crossbow/ballista ogres, and ogre butcher
-fixed the slaver using both the english/russian descriptions at once
Builders:
-new unit: Creator (lvl4, advances from Master Architect). Can build fortress walls, spiked dwarven walls, rock golems, petrification traps, castles/keeps, and villages.
-new unit: Rock Golem (built by the Creator unit). Strong melee unit that is normally petrified, but becomes unpetrified when there are enemies nearby.
-turrets can now advance like normal units (ballista turret > machine gun turret > destroyer turret, magic turret > volcanic turret > infernal turret, catapult > heavy catapult). This should make turrets more useful, and make it actually worth feeding them kills.
-new unit: Infernal Turret (lvl3 magic turret, advances from volcanic turret)
-turrets now clear fog/shroud in a 3-tile radius around them (another change to make them more useful). This also applies to totems/teleporters.
-added fancy attack animations to certain traps (poison trap, petrify trap, teleport trap,landmine,powder keg)
-new teleport trap sprite
-tweak destroyer turret sprite
-added the shyde halo to the teleporter.
Empire:
-new unit: Desert Lord (lvl4, advances from Desert Archmage. Has a tornado attack with knockback/slow).
-disloyal units now lose 50% of their experience when betraying. This should reduce the impact of the ability a bit.
-slightly nerfed mercenary swordsman hitpoints
Fungu:
-new sporeshroom line sprites
-new arcane attack icons/animations for eyestalks (now yellow instead of purple, to differentiate more from the cold attacks)
Raiders:
-new unit: Plunderer (alternate advancement for Raider, but more ranged-focused (sort of like what javelineer is for the spearman line))
-new unit: Hag (alternate advancement for Cunning Woman, with a focus on melee/survival, rather than ranged/healing)
-nerfed looting from 33% gold to 20% gold
-made arson ability usable by AI. For now AI just targets villages not near own/ally leaders, which, while not perfect, should be good enough for now.
-renamed Bandit Horseman to Brigand
-added a description to Cunning Woman
-slightly nerfed the witch line's hp/magic resistances
Misc:
-due to the addition of petrification traps, I made most of the custom abilities not work while the unit is petrified

the download link on the first post has been updated as usual, so grab the update from there.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

new update (quite a large one this time):
Ogres:
-added the "loyal" ability to Royal Guard/Savage
Builders:
-replaced the dwarf fighter line with a similar custom one (with some changes, including a thunderstick attack for lvl2/lvl3, but slightly nerfed stats to match the rest of the faction). The unit line is conscript > veteran > general
-added dwarvish steelclad/lord (now veteran/general) as leader options
-it's now possible to demolish allies' buildings (either to sabotage them, or to clear the way (if the builders accidentally (or intentionally) placed a wall/trap blocking a scenario objective))
-most buildings no longer carry over to next scenarios (only really matters in MP campaigns, but still), as recalling walls just doesn't feel realistic (and the recall list gets way too cluttered). Turrets/catapults exempt this change, as they can level up.
-new necrodwarf portrait
-added menu icons to the build,siege, entrench and demolish rightclick menus
-tweaked the necrodwarf/totemist/elite sapper sprites
-tweaked healing totem sprite (bronze instead of golden)
-fixed the starting walls being the incorrect type (wooden when supposed to be dwarven) when having a lvl4 leader
-totemist buff: arcane resistance from 20% to 30%
-improved sapper/elite sapper grenade attack animations
-fortress walls can now be used to connect castles, just like normal walls (they are still impassable by units, though)
-trench soldier now requires a bit less exp to advance
-fixed trench soldiers being immune to knockback when not entrenched
Empire:
-markets no longer carry over to next scenarios (having multiple markets in a MP campaign is ridiculously OP)
-removed the "loyal" ability from the imperial commander/general, as the "inspire" ability now does grants bribe immunity too
-added menu icons to the bribe/market menus
-fixed the market send gold option only working on sides 1,2 and 3
Fungu:
-new unit: Fungal Core (lvl3 sporeshroom)
-reduced big sporeshroom's mp from 5 to 4, but increased max hp a bit
-spires are now immune to knockback
Raiders:
-new unit: Witch Queen (advances from Archwitch. Has heals +12 and selfheal +4 abilities.). Since most factions now have one lvl4 unit, I gave one to the raiders too.
-pyromaniac/incinerator's ranged attacks now have marksman
-added a menu icon to the arson rightclick option
Russian Translation:
-translated most ability rightclick menus (except for building, which would require rewriting a lot of code, and thus take more time)
-translated bribe dialog

As usual, the download link on the first post has been updated, so grab the new version from there.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Hello everyone. Haven't worked in an era for some time, but here's an update I was sitting on for a while and didn't release:
changelog:

Ogres:
Builders:
-new feature: siege auto-pilot (rightclick option that makes catapults automatically fire at random enemies at the start of each turn. Useful if you built many catapults and don't want to go through the hassle of clicking them all)
-AI can now use long-ranged catapult attacks
-the "not enough gold" building message is now spoken by the building unit, instead of the narrator
-fixed incorrect gold amounts for demolishing certain buildings
-increased gyrocopter cost from 18 to 19
-increased elite sapper's gunpowder keg cost from 15 to 17 (it's pretty OP due to its AoE damage, after all. This nerf is probably not enough, but it should help a bit.)
Empire:
-the disloyal ability now heals the betraying unit by 33% instead of 50%
-added a heal animation/horn sound effect to the disloyal ability, so players don't confuse it for a bug
-fixed some minor bugs with disloyal/enslavement abilities triggering at once (now enslavement takes priority over disloyal)
Fungu:
-the cave ambush ai is now no longer used by leaders, as it can lead to somewhat strange behavior
Raiders:
-arson AI now targets further villages than before
-arson AI no longer burns down allied villages it accidentally stumbles upon
-fixed the rush message text being the incorrect color in the 1.14

As usual, re-download the era from the first post, and replace the old version. Also, if you have any feedback/suggestions, I'd be very glad to hear it.
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

Great era. :)

Lots of good ideas for abilities and interesting faction concepts.

About balance, for me it's no longer as important for UMC as it once was, I have mainline factions if I want something balanced. Reaching good enough balance for most units can take a lot more work for UMC creators than actually creating era. Fun is actually more important for me and this era is fun (in SP :P ).
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Hejnewar wrote: October 18th, 2019, 4:09 pm Great era. :)

Lots of good ideas for abilities and interesting faction concepts.
Thanks! :)
Hejnewar wrote: October 18th, 2019, 4:09 pm About balance, for me it's no longer as important for UMC as it once was, I have mainline factions if I want something balanced. Reaching good enough balance for most units can take a lot more work for UMC creators than actually creating era. Fun is actually more important for me and this era is fun (in SP :P ).
Good point.

btw, if you have ideas for features, new alternate advancements for existing unit lines, buildings for the Industrial Coalition faction, bugreports, etc. I'd like to hear those (I'm not actively working on the era right now because I'm not entirely sure what to implement)