Platoon Wars Era (Ex-Infantry Wars Era)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: Infantry Wars Era

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Fixed Terrorist leaders leading animations.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Update with minor change to WW2 map.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version with changes to the maps and scenarios.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version with further improvements to the add-on maps.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Uploaded a minor patch.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Another patch with a few changes to units, graphics and maps.
TeaIntoxicated

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

This is a good era, of decent quality, animated units. I like it, and see a lot of potential for it to expand. Unfortunately it is also quite symetrised and repetitive, so I'd like to help, at least via thought. ;)

I have a couple of proposals for graphical improvements:
1. To easen identification from Volunteers and Recruits, make Guerillas and Gunners carry their missile launchers on the shoulders at all times except when shooting with SMGs.
2. To easen identification from Fighters and Soldiers, make Patrol and Squad Leaders wear a helmet with bright yellow, horizontal rectangle. Both cases. Level 2 equivalents get a strip going all the way around the helmet.
3. To easen identification between Military and Terrorists, make Terrorists wear uniforms in more brown-ish colour. And make helmets for the few terrorists that use them look like German Stahlhelms.
4. To easen identification between sides, give all troops side-coloured armbands.
5. Brown-coloured gun for Marksmen. M1 Carbine is made mostly of wood...
6. To easen identification between veterans and rookies, level 2 units get a yellow armband (besides the team-coloured one).
If you need help, I got my GIMP ready for action...

And also a couple of proposals for faction development (with heavy asymetrisation):
a) Military gets pricier, but more durable soldiers. Quality and bulletproof vests versus quantity.
b) Military loses Recruits and Squad Leaders. Terrorists would keep their counterparts (with Patrol Leader renamed to Instructor), since they rely on numbers.
c) Military receives new units in form of Grenadier and (level 2) Pacificator - they get tear gas grenades that slow the enemy and have "marksman" ability, visually they differ by having gas masks. Terrorist Instructors and Troop Leaders keep on using frag grenades that are just low-damage marksman impact weapons. The same applies to Platoon Leaders that instead advance from Soldiers. Fighters would also have ability to become Troop Leaders.
d) Trackers can backstab, but get decrease in damage. Rangers are skirmishers.
TeaIntoxicated

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

Oh! And one issue - I want to report a bug.
When Fighters and Soldiers deploy into MG nests, they lose their traits and don't get them back after undeployment.
Maybe MGs should be a separate, "damage taker" (akin to HI, woses, or D-Guards) class, which, rather than deployment had steadfast and dealt more damage when defending? It would also enable AI to use them correctly, and get rid of the bug problem.
PapaSmurfReloaded

TeaIntoxicated wrote: February 14th, 2020, 5:49 pm
Spoiler:
There are a bunch of good ideas there, but tbh, I don't think have enough time anymore. I am aware this era is rather symmetric but I have never been really good at making balanced eras (same with 18th Century Era), to make them playable I turned them into re-skinned default eras with minor changes.

If you are actually willing to modify some of the unit animations in GIMP to add armbands and make terrorists uniform brown, I'd be willing to look at that. I am not much of an artist myself (I created most of animations by copy-pasting, and the original artwork belongs to the Modern Warfare Era )
TeaIntoxicated wrote: February 15th, 2020, 1:03 pm
Spoiler:
Oh thank you, I'll look it into when I have time.
TeaIntoxicated

Post by TeaIntoxicated »

...It's been over a year of silence...
But there is progress!
Attachments
BRRRR.gif
BRRRR.gif (7.7 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Shotgun.gif
Shotgun.gif (5.16 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
PapaSmurfReloaded

TeaIntoxicated wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:23 am ...It's been over a year of silence...
But there is progress!
That's neat! Tbh I've pretty much tired from making Wesnoth content, I don't really much interest nor time nowadays