IIWW - The Second World War

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jurijuice

IIWW - The Second World War

Post by jurijuice »

Hello everyone!

I wish to introduce my first addon treating about The Second World War.

The main idea is to create complete era treating about IIWW. It means at least few factions with different units, abilities and playstyle, maps, campaign etc.
Before I started with IIWW era I found at least two other addons about - but they were almost not playable. So I decided to create something that might be a good balanced mod in which players will play.
I have also tried to ensure that all used solutions be an intuitive.

I started about 6 weeks ago, and for now I have 3 playable factions, ~70 units (counted with all lvl's) grouped in few classes, new resistance types, abilities, attack icons etc.

I also know that is just the begining and can be a lot of bugs. Also units looks not perfect, there is no animations (but there are good attack sounds!), no maps and many more. So if someone download my addon, considers it may be usefull and find bug, or has idea how to improve addon please post here or email/PM me.
I'm looking for new ideas for units, abilities, also a someone who can help with maps and units desing/graphic as well.

If You are interested to play just download IIWW era and enjoy the game!

All assumptions and changes are described in *readme* and *changelog* files, that are included to the addon.

I would also like to thank for help (ideas, scripts, testing etc.)to my friends from polish site: wesnoth.org.pl

The_Gnat

Re: IIWW - The Second World War

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi, I played IIWW and thought it was really good! Here are some things i noticed:

- the weapon type depth charge has a error though: UNTLB type_depthcharges
- also it is a little hard to tell which units are on which team, if they have a flag or some team color on them i think that would improve them!
- also i think the range attack where bullets,bombs,rockets,artillery are fired should have projectiles, instead of having the units move into eachothers hex's
- also the airplanes no counter attack bombing ability should be in effect when attacking anti-aircraft vehicles
- also the heavy tank kv-85 advances to itself
- the general doesn't have any after maximum level advancement so even if he reaches max xp nothing happens

Thanks!
jurijuice

Post by jurijuice »

The_Gnat wrote:Hi, I played IIWW and thought it was really good! Here are some things i noticed:
- the weapon type depth charge has a error though: UNTLB type_depthcharges
I know there was that kind of misspelling, but i thought it was corrected some versions ago. If it occurs in newest version please let me know where to find it.
The_Gnat wrote: - also it is a little hard to tell which units are on which team, if they have a flag or some team color on them i think that would improve them!
I add a "small flag indicator", for test, only to German units (top left/right corner of the image). What do You think about it?
The_Gnat wrote: - also i think the range attack where bullets,bombs,rockets,artillery are fired should have projectiles, instead of having the units move into eachothers hex's
I know but... i lack graphic skills (maybe someone can help? :) and also mechanic is more important for me than images (on that project level, it must be corrected someday)
The_Gnat wrote: - also the airplanes no counter attack bombing ability should be in effect when attacking anti-aircraft vehicles
I don't know if I understand correctly. For now bombers (with bombing ability) can hit AA units without retaliation. If You have idea how to fix it I do it gladly. For now i make another class of units for Flak weapons, that have 60% resistance to bomb attack.
The_Gnat wrote: - also the heavy tank kv-85 advances to itself
Fixed, thanks!
The_Gnat wrote: - the general doesn't have any after maximum level advancement so even if he reaches max xp nothing happens
Thanks!
Fixed, thanks!

New version is on the server.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thanks for responding! About the anti aircraft and bombing sorry about the confusion I meant to say; when aircraft bomb AA the AA should return fire. Also about the depthcharges, I only downloaded your addon yesterday so I must have had the newest version. :hmm:

Also about the graphics of the units attacking I dont have time now but over the next few weeks I can look at that and see of I can fix it :D

I will write more feedback after testing more!
Ruglud

Post by Ruglud »

jurijuice wrote:...Before I started with IIWW era I found at least two other addons about - but they were almost not playable.
Sorry, but I think the "Battle for Westfront" Era is playable very well. Its marked as Version 0.# but is fully playable and balanced over months of work and playtesting. The sprites are completly New and with Wesnoth style. 4 factions, lots of units, new Sounds etc. Furthermore, you can play the early period of the war.
"almost not playable" - thats an insult.
Wenn Unrecht zu Recht wird, wird Widerstand zur Pflicht!

Nerdguygaming.tumblr.com
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi, This is a good solution for your projectiles:

Code: Select all

[missile_frame]
            begin=-150
            end=0
            image="projectiles/YOUR_PICTURE_NAME.png"
            image_diagonal="projectiles/YOUR_PICTURE_NAME.png"
        [/missile_frame]
just place it under the filter in a attack animation and put the image your unit should fire inside a projectiles folder in your images folder. Then put it in YOUR_PICTURE_NAME and it will change the animation to fire a projectile.

You may not have time to change all of the units (which is fine) but i thought i would post this idea anyway! :D
jurijuice

Post by jurijuice »

Ruglud wrote:
jurijuice wrote:...Before I started with IIWW era I found at least two other addons about - but they were almost not playable.
Sorry, but I think the "Battle for Westfront" Era is playable very well. Its marked as Version 0.# but is fully playable and balanced over months of work and playtesting. The sprites are completly New and with Wesnoth style. 4 factions, lots of units, new Sounds etc. Furthermore, you can play the early period of the war.
"almost not playable" - thats an insult.
Ok it is Your subjective opinion, but this is not topic for other eras promotion, sorry ;)

The_Gnat wrote:Hi, This is a good solution for your projectiles:
(...)
just place it under the filter in a attack animation and put the image your unit should fire inside a projectiles folder in your images folder. Then put it in YOUR_PICTURE_NAME and it will change the animation to fire a projectile.

You may not have time to change all of the units (which is fine) but i thought i would post this idea anyway! :D
Thank You very much, I try it certainly but now have big problems with my time. Maybe at the end of the december will be better with it.

So if someone else test this era and can share your thoughts - go ahead!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi,

another thing i noticed is that the attack icon "ram" (under images/attacks/ram.png) is named the same as the default wesnoth attack icon ram. Because of this drakes in the base wesnoth game now have the attack icon of a tank ram. It is not really important but i suggest naming all your pictures different from base wesnoth so that your add-on does not override the base game and so people are still able to play the base game while having your add-on installed.

Thank you