Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera", for 1.16, 1.14, 1.12 and 1.10)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lea

Re: Altered era/ruleset

Post by lea »

Atreides wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:08 am Hi, looking through the 1.12.6 log after playing I found some interesting errors. ... ... ...
thanks for bug report, going to fix these typos for next version

same version of altered era is uploaded to 1.12 and 1.14 add-on servers (it should work if copied from addons folder of one version of BfW to another's), bug with corruption rule is specific to 1.12 because of differences in BfW's code, #ifdef is used in altered era's code to disable corruption only for 1.12
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

lea wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:26 pm
Atreides wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:08 am Hi, looking through the 1.12.6 log after playing I found some interesting errors. ... ... ...
thanks for bug report, going to fix these typos for next version

same version of altered era is uploaded to 1.12 and 1.14 add-on servers (it should work if copied from addons folder of one version of BfW to another's), bug with corruption rule is specific to 1.12 because of differences in BfW's code, #ifdef is used in altered era's code to disable corruption only for 1.12
Ah good to know that I can save a step and just move the files from 12 to 14 dir, especially since I actually corrected some of the typos in my copy to make it look and sound as intended. (I think... it was late at night and I may have fumbled using kate's search and replace hehehe, I'm sure the log will tell me next time :)
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.7.2 is published for BfW 1.12.6 and 1.14.x

add-on servers for BfW 1.10.7 are now closed for uploads but "Altered era/ruleset" still supports BfW 1.10.7 - download it from 1.12.6 or 1.14.x add-on server and manually copy it to 1.10's 'add-ons' folder

changes:
- added "mercenaries": units which are not affiliated with any faction and can be hired at windmills and owned villages (from "Recruit Abroad" right-click menu entry) without price overhead (unlike recruiting abroad for race/faction units) but have double upkeep expenses until they take "assimilation" advancement, for BfW 1.12.6 and 1.14.x "mercenaries" can be disabled independently from "recruiting abroad" rule
- fixed: special unit actions right-click menu entry prevented special actions unless unit moved during previous turn, claimed that unit moved or performed other actions suring current turn
- fixed: opening any custom right-click menu entry ("Special Unit Actions", "Enable/Disable Notificatios" etc) blocked built-in undo functionality
- fixed: killing level 0 unit gave 5 experience points to its killer instead of 4
- fixed: taking healing instead of advancement for level 0 unit used to reset its upkeep to 0
- units with "spirit" trait no longer benefit from poison curing abilities of other units and do not receive damage from poison (poisoned state only prevents healing for them)
- increased ad-hoc recruit cost of thanat howler from 30 to 33 making it same as for other units with regular recruit cost of 22
- added default hotkeys for all right-click menu entries that did not have them, removed hotkey for "Recruit in Setlement" (which is renamed to "Recruit Abroad") because it did not work correctly and requires major rewrite to fix it (only for BfW 1.12.6 and 1.14.x - hotkeys for custom right-click menu entries are hot supported in BfW 1.10.7)
- removed "Update Projected Income" right-click menu entry, its function is now performed every time leader is clicked
- minor appearance-only fixes and changes:
some units with arcane attacks used only one sound for missing strike due to typos in wml code
internal "heals(halved)" ability (meant as state of heals(full) ability for modest unit upkeep mode) was shown in help articles for respective units
axe-throwing attacks of gnome units did not have projectile image for diagonal attack directions due to typos in wml code
axe attack of gnome vagrant used to have wrong start time, also tweaked gnome vagrant's image to make it more different from pioneer
Attachments
Altered 0.7.2 (core).zip
(7.4 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.2 (images of all units).zip
(5.78 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.2 (portraits for demons and fey).zip
(5.76 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.2 (portraits for gnomes and thanats and lamias).zip
(6.2 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Altered 0.7.2 (portraits for valons and saurs).zip
(7.25 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.2 (portraits for naiads and unaffiliated units).zip
(605.19 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Nice update! Had to start a second game though to try out the mercenaries as the old menu was saved in my old savegame. Using Isar's Benz (3 player Isar) and got the Saurians this time (first game has Drakes). Interesting to see the EoMa Wyvern there! A striking image to be sure.
Alas there was one teeny bug in the new version (don't ya hate that?) with the strike-thrown instead of strike/thrown in some units.
The mercenary option was interesting, got a Wisp... oh reminds me the right click menu for recruit abroad says Wasp not Wisp! I was surprised too that there wasn't more than 1 merc. to choose from.
Oh and as far as I can tell using other maps seems to work OK. I guess the main thing is you don't get the healing great trees, etc. Or maybe the old terrain rules apply? Didn't notice.
lea

Post by lea »

portraits for Saurians are scarce and Wyvern rider got a portrait - hence the choice

made this mod public in hope for bug reports so it serves me right )
however these fixes got to wait for next version
could not find any "Wasp"...

wisps are the only mercenaries so far, more to come (much?) later
in fact, wisps were intended as scout units for upcoming race but later decided to make other scout units for them and repurposed wisps as test subjects for "mercenaries" rule
mercenaries are meant as a way to add races which do not have enough units to make their own factions (I want single-race factions)

all maps and random map generators should be compatible, except most of them do not have healing locations, are imbalanced in terms of how much of each terrain type do they have (giving major advantage to some races compared to others) etc
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Another small bug found, when recruiting abroad I built a unit and right away the recruit abroad menu popped up again by itself. Harmless, but one does have to to click again to clear it. The log file may actually have caught the error but I did not understand it:
20210404 15:34:25 warning gui/event: distributor mouse button left [wml_message_left]: SDL left button down. The mouse button is already down, we missed an event.

Addendum:
Played a few more matches on the duel altered map (funny how often you end up trading keeps with the ai) and remembered another small bug.
The advancement menu offers assimilation for non hired units. I tried it out (it was on the advance after killing enemy leader so a perfect chance :) and it doesn't seem to do any harm as it still allowed me to pick another (useful) advance.
Another observation from play is that the units with the bonus moves from standing still (hadn't noticed this until I had a lot of 'em waiting around the trapped enemy leader) start the turn with a partial moved orb. Not a big deal, but I like to be thorough in my reports. :)

p.s. Gameplay truly is different. Took me quite a while to get the feel for the new rules.

More bugs!
Some gnomes have elf/elf-hit in their defense anims, just replace with racial/gnome/gnome-hit and also trim out the 5th and 6th sound files (or add them if they exist!)
lea

Post by lea »

Atreides: thanks again for bug reports
Atreides wrote: April 4th, 2021, 8:36 pmAnother observation from play is that the units with the bonus moves from standing still (hadn't noticed this until I had a lot of 'em waiting around the trapped enemy leader) start the turn with a partial moved orb. Not a big deal, but I like to be thorough in my reports. :)
Wesnoth shows green spheres only for units that have moves=max_moves. I decided against increasing max_moves temporarily for the sake of making them green to a) avoid confusion about true values of their max_moves and b) get them marked without adding yet another unit overlay which have to be updated every turn (which may increase start-of-turn lag on bigger maps, which is already more than noticeable)
so it is kind of by design

gnome gunners and apothecaries are going to "ouch" like elves till next version )

asked you in private message to elaborate about other bugs since could not reproduce them
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Found a nasty bug, Lamia Conda 2 and 3 both have same id.
lea

Post by lea »

Atreides wrote: April 20th, 2021, 10:53 pm Found a nasty bug, Lamia Conda 2 and 3 both have same id.
thanks for this catch! going to fix it in next version
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Found I have a couple of replays of small maps I played under 1.12.6. (Must get around to getting it for 14, keep forgetting...)

2p
Altered_Duel_Random_map_replay.gz
Gnomes vs Drakes
(85.98 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
on recommended map.
3p
RMM_1v1v1_Isars_Benz_replay.gz
Requires Red MP Maps add-on
(105.27 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
on a small 3p Isar's type map (map pack add-on req'd), this one was a bit of a struggle until I realized that enemy leaders are level4 :-)
lea

Post by lea »

thanks

I wonder why people (from the sample of just a few) strongly gravitate towards small maps
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.7.3 is published for BfW 1.12.6 and 1.14.x

add-on servers for BfW 1.10.7 are now closed for uploads but "Altered era/ruleset" still supports BfW 1.10.7 - download it from 1.12.6 or 1.14.x add-on server and manually copy it to 1.10's 'add-ons' folder

changes:
- new mercenary group - golems, hard-hitting and very durable (especially against elemental and arcane damage) but very slow and with low defense
- fixed: "sustained march" rule did not work for AI units
- fixed: braceable attack special and fortified ability did not work for AI units
- fixed: assimilation advancement was available to all level 0 units and all leaders regardless of whether they are mercenaries (have "hired" trait)
- fixed: "more of the same" advancement for lamia conda (lamia conda legend) was missing
- fixed: changes in income caused by "trade nexus" an "corruption" rules were not shown in income indicator when either of these rules were disabled
- fixed: unit name and upkeep mode name were missing from texts of "are you sure" dialogs in special unit actions menu
- fixed: heal(halved) ability was shown on right pane in unit's description for fey dryad avatar
- fixed: radiance attack animation of wisp halation sometimes was shown for one extra strike when no more strikes were left
- fixed missing sounds:
"hit" sounds for gnome thunderer, thunderguard, thundersage and apothecary units were missing
attack sounds for thorns and barbed vines attacks of fey dryad
attack sounds for spear throw attack of valon watcher, saur scavenger, gnome sentry, shielder and stalwart
Attachments
Altered 0.7.3 (core).zip
(7.53 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.7.3 (images of all units).zip
(5.95 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Altered 0.7.3 (portraits for demons and fey).zip
Altered 0.7.3 (portraits for gnomes and thanats and lamias).zip
(6.2 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.3 (portraits for valons and saurs).zip
(7.25 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.3 (portraits for naiads and unaffiliated units).zip
(884.65 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.7.4 is published for BfW 1.12.6 and 1.14.x

add-on servers for BfW 1.10.7 are now closed for uploads but "Altered era/ruleset" still supports BfW 1.10.7 - download it from 1.12.6 or 1.14.x add-on server and manually copy it to BfW 1.10.7's 'add-ons' folder

changes:
- unit abilities are now shown in UI above attack specials (one ability per line), AMLAs are shown in place of abilities
- added detailed tooltips to UI indicators (but not their icons) for Turn Number, Villages, Unit Count, Upkeep, Income and Gold, following tooltips contain extra info:
Turn Number tooltip contains current amounts and current caps of experience and gold gain for AI from "ancestral memory" and "invasion support" rules
Unit Count tooltip contains breakdown of all three components of desperation index (for "desperate stand" rule) and its total value
Income tooltip contains caveat about when its values are updated gold gain/loss from "trade nexus" and "corruption" rules (separately from each other)
- remade "Info on ..." right click menu items into single "Info about Altered Rules" menu item with small sections grouped into larger chapters and option to read all info on a single scrolling page, some sections are split into two and expanded
- changes in Altered UI theme:
reduced minimum resolution for putting right panel to the right of top panel (rather than under it) to 942x480
made minimap area taller to avoid black borders for square maps
reduced width of "Menu" and "Actions" buttons and increased width of UI indicators on top panel
- removed names from descriptions of abilities and attack specials, descriptions are rewritten to mention names in their texts instead
- notifications about gold gain/loss from desperate stand, trade nexus and corruption rules now highlight name of respective rule in their texts with yellow font
- "enable/disable notifications" right-click menu item is renamed to "Altered UI Options" because it also contains options to enable/disable unit badges
- Altered random map generators now have default settings to enable random start time and fog of war, disable shroud and set amount of per-village income and support to 1 (only supported by Wesnoth since version 1.13.9 except random start time is also supported in earlier versions)
Attachments
Altered 0.7.4 (core).zip
(7.56 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.4 (images of all units).zip
(5.96 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Altered 0.7.4 (portraits for demons and fey).zip
Altered 0.7.4 (portraits for gnomes and thanats and lamias).zip
(6.2 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.4 (portraits for valons and saurs).zip
(7.25 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Altered 0.7.4 (portraits for naiads and unaffiliated units).zip
(945.52 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.7.5 is published for BfW 1.12.6 and 1.14.x

add-on servers for BfW 1.10.7 are now closed for uploads but "Altered era/ruleset" still supports BfW 1.10.7 - download it from 1.12.6 or 1.14.x add-on server and manually copy it to BfW 1.10.7's 'add-ons' folder

changes:
- added "mercenary allies" rule: AI players sometimes recruit unafilited units (available to non-AI players as "mercenaries") in their castles
- gold gain from "benevolent lend" rule is reduced to 1/5th of debt amount
- for all gnomes reduced defense on hills to 50% (except for baloons which already have 40% defense on hills) and added 20% arcane resistance
- added notes (similar to commoner notes) about spirit and lifeless fixed traits to descriptions of units that have these traits
- for melee attacks of demon outcast and pariah replaced aimed and reckless attack specials with threatening attack special
- for gnome vagrant increased damage of axe and axe throw attacks from 10 to 12 and added unreliable attack special to axe throw attack
- changed thunderball explosion animation for gnome healers and baloons to make explosion visually expanding
- fixed: gnome apothecary animation used to include pharmacist's image
- renamed following units:
gnome fighter to soldier
thanat howler to wailer
valon trampler to overseer
Attachments
Altered 0.7.5 (core).zip
(7.61 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.5 (images of all units).zip
(6.05 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.5 (portraits for demons and fey).zip
Altered 0.7.5 (portraits for gnomes and thanats and lamias).zip
(6.2 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.5 (portraits for valons and saurs).zip
(7.25 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.5 (portraits for naiads and unaffiliated units).zip
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.7.6 is published for BfW 1.12.6, 1.14.x and 1.16.x

add-on servers for BfW 1.10.7 are now closed for uploads but "Altered era/ruleset" still supports BfW 1.10.7 - download it from add-on server of any newer version of BfW and manually copy it to BfW 1.10.7's 'add-ons' folder

changes:
- added "astral companions": units which are not affiliated with any faction and can be hired at windmills and owned villages (from "Recruit Abroad" right-click menu entry) at the cost of leader's experience (instead of gold) and drain leader's experience for their upkeep, also they cannot advance to other unit types (after maximum level advancements (AMLAs) are still available to them), for BfW 1.12.6 and 1.14.x "astral companions" can be disabled independently from "recruiting abroad" rule and "mercenaries", the only astral companion for now is Rat (level 1 unit) - cheap and fast but weak scout with good defense, infiltrating ability and opportunistic main attack
- lists of recruitable/summonable "Mercenaries" and "Astral companions" are moved to their own submenus of "Recruit Abroad" menu
- option to heal instead of advancement now costs 20 experience points regardless on unit level
- renamed demons race/faction to gargoyles
- all portraits are changed to square shape (by increasing their canvas size) to avoid distortion of proportions when resized
- when units with lifeless trait are recalled they lose 2/3 of their experience but get 20 hitpoints
- minor changes to unit stats:
slightly reduced max experience for fey dryad and fey nymph units, including their variations
removed roundabout attack special from melee attacks of valon constable and echelon, including their variations, slightly increased their hitpoints
removed roundabout attack special from melee attacks of gargoyle (formerly demon) talon and rampage, including their variations
Attachments
Altered 0.7.6 (core).zip
(7.65 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.6 (images of all units).zip
(6.13 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.6 (portraits for gargoyles and fey).zip
(5.73 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.6 (portraits for gnomes and thanats and lamias).zip
(6.21 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.6 (portraits for valons and saurs).zip
(7.27 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Altered 0.7.6 (portraits for naiads and unaffiliated units).zip
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 1:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.